Push-ups for fat folks question...

Options
I have really improved my form on push-ups and am finally improving the quantity. I just restarted 100 push-ups on level two with girlie push ups. My goal is not 100, I am just using the system to build up to full push ups.

When I go down, my belly is the first thing that touches. I am still well in the obese category, and I am one of those women who look pregnant with the extra weight, so it really is a pretty large belly. I reverse as soon as I feel my belly touch the floor, so as to not have enough of me on the floor to be resting. Is this the best thing to do? Should I be pushing further down? Hiking my hips up higher until I lose the belly?

Replies

• MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    You might want to try an incline push up. Use a table, a chair or whichever height challenges you and do push ups on that.

Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4coDbSYnuh4
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Go as far down as you comfortably can. Don't break your form, keep a straight line. Incline or wall push-ups are another good option, as previously suggested.
  • ROBJ3411
    ROBJ3411 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Form is important. I would do the pushup through the full range of motion and using the proper form. Going down less and/or breaking form by raising your hips are more detrimental then having your belly on the ground.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I started with counter push-ups, but at 40, they are just getting boring and they do work the muscles from a different angle than girlie push-ups. I don't have anything convenient at bench height. I tried chairs and an ottoman, but even against the wall they weren't stable enough. Now that I can do at least 8 girlies in a row, I don't think I should move upward again, anyway.

OK, I will just keep keeping on and in a few weeks I will be up on my toes and my belly will be smaller, so I won't have this issue anymore.

Thanks for your feedback!