Candida Diet-- anyone out there trying it?

Options

Replies

• 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I've been on a Canadian diet before. Labatt and Molson

Ha!!
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    This is a link to a Candida Diet support forum, which I found by Googling "Candida Diet support forum." Instead of the maybe 1 or 2 people who will respond to your post here, this site might provide you with more support for your specific needs. I'm not trying to run you out of here, just trying to help.
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I've been on a Canadian diet before. Labatt and Molson

You forgot the maple syrup, back bacon, poutine and beaver tails.
  • Sleekit
    Sleekit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I read this too! Lol I am not saying that I would follow the cleanse or the "fad diet" regime. But keeping in mind what we are eating and how it affects the candida levels in our bodies is the main goal. I don't expect it to be a save all or end all.
  • Sleekit
    Options
    This is a link to a Candida Diet support forum, which I found by Googling "Candida Diet support forum." Instead of the maybe 1 or 2 people who will respond to your post here, this site might provide you with more support for your specific needs. I'm not trying to run you out of here, just trying to help.
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/

• jfsears
    jfsears Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I didn't go through the list but grains also feed it- also hormones too much of one can cause problems as well.
  • jfsears
    jfsears Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Also even if you don't have signs and symptoms of an infection you can still have issues and it does cause off gasing which can be a cause of bloating so I think it's wonderful that you are going to try this diet I hope it works out. Well for you.
  • Sleekit
    Options
    Also even if you don't have signs and symptoms of an infection you can still have issues and it does cause off gasing which can be a cause of bloating so I think it's wonderful that you are going to try this diet I hope it works out. Well for you.

Thanks so much! I'm hoping it helps.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    For my fiance it is a chronic thing. He's been on meds before and they do get rid of it, but it often returns and our DOCTOR (for those of you hating) lol suggested that he change his diet a little. I am all for it because getting my man to eat healthy is like asking a child not to pick their nose. They're gonna do it. But he very enthusiastic about this because it was doctor reccommended and he's done feeling so ****ty. As for myself, having problems with yeast runs in my family. I have very sensitive skin and even the mildest soaps can irritate it enough to bring on a mild yeast infection. I have learned how to deal with it with anti fungals etc, but if this diet will HELP in anyway, why the hell not? Its not that much of a change in the way I am trying to eat now anyway. Thanks to those who had positive feedback for me.

Diet and candida is an iffy thing. Ok, I'll take you a little more serious - you just need to understand that there are a lot of fad diets around this. And a lot of people that think they somehow have a systemic infection which they likely do not. .

First, if your boyfriend has been dealing with a real infection for a long time I would be concerned about his immune system and floral balance (microflora not just the flowers on his desk) has he been on long term use of antibiotics? That can upset normal floral and create a terrain for a fungal invasion. It is usually a bad idea to treat fungals with antibiotics or steroids because either can create a terrain for blooms. Discuss any current treatment with your doc.

Second, any food with anti fungal properties (garlic, oregano, etc...) has minute quantities - if you are treating a true infection the best care is provided by "zole" class of cytochrome p450 inhibitors - again talk to your doctor.

Fourth, get out, exercise, spend time in the sun, eat a variety of foods including yogurts etc that can help create a strong normal intestinal flora and normal immune system.

Fifth, if your bf is believed to have leaky gut syndrome you can actually request a test to evaluate true permeability. Often it is a diagnosis of quacks. Very few true LGS are true when tested.

Sixth, no alcohol or anal sex.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    For my fiance it is a chronic thing. He's been on meds before and they do get rid of it, but it often returns and our DOCTOR (for those of you hating) lol suggested that he change his diet a little. I am all for it because getting my man to eat healthy is like asking a child not to pick their nose. They're gonna do it. But he very enthusiastic about this because it was doctor reccommended and he's done feeling so ****ty. As for myself, having problems with yeast runs in my family. I have very sensitive skin and even the mildest soaps can irritate it enough to bring on a mild yeast infection. I have learned how to deal with it with anti fungals etc, but if this diet will HELP in anyway, why the hell not? Its not that much of a change in the way I am trying to eat now anyway. Thanks to those who had positive feedback for me.

Diet and candida is an iffy thing. Ok, I'll take you a little more serious - you just need to understand that there are a lot of fad diets around this. And a lot of people that think they somehow have a systemic infection which they likely do not. .

First, if your boyfriend has been dealing with a real infection for a long time I would be concerned about his immune system and floral balance (microflora not just the flowers on his desk) has he been on long term use of antibiotics? That can upset normal floral and create a terrain for a fungal invasion. It is usually a bad idea to treat fungals with antibiotics or steroids because either can create a terrain for blooms. Discuss any current treatment with your doc.

Second, any food with anti fungal properties (garlic, oregano, etc...) has minute quantities - if you are treating a true infection the best care is provided by "zole" class of cytochrome p450 inhibitors - again talk to your doctor.

Fourth, get out, exercise, spend time in the sun, eat a variety of foods including yogurts etc that can help create a strong normal intestinal flora and normal immune system.

Fifth, if your bf is believed to have leaky gut syndrome you can actually request a test to evaluate true permeability. Often it is a diagnosis of quacks. Very few true LGS are true when tested.

ALL this.

But whether you really have candida overgrowth or not, if you have symptoms of poor health, cleaning up your diet can only help.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I have made the decision to start trying the Candida diet because we both suffer from having too much Candida in our bodies. I was just wondering if anyone else on MFP has tried this diet and if they had suggestions, recipes etc. We aren't cutting out ALL the bad candida foods, but trying to drastically reduce it. I will still have my coffee in the morning and such-- can't go without it. Basically you are cutting out sugars because candida feeds off sugars, also fungi like mushrooms. Here is a list of good foods and bad foods for this diet.

Good foods: http://www.thecandidadiet.com/foodstoeat.htm

Bad foods: http://www.thecandidadiet.com/foodstoavoid.htm

Let me know your thoughts and if you have tried it and found an improvement in your health at all!

You both suffer from what? Could you please elaborate?

"A yeastlike, parasitic fungus (genus Candida, phylum Ascomycota) that can cause an infection" :sick:

Maybe go to the doctor and get some antibiotics?

Um. No. Candida Albicans is a fungus. Antibiotics are only good against bacteria and they would only make candidiasis (a Candida Albicans "infection") worse as they would suppress the "good" bacteria in the gut (which, in turn, suppress candida) and allow the candida to proliferate. Candida is always present in the human intestine but an overgrowth can cause problems when large colonies mature and send out filaments to invade the intestinal wall. Since candida thrives in a high sugar environment, following a diet low in sugar and taking some high-quality pro-biotics, should quickly put things back in balance. (Unless the individual is severely immunocompromised. Candidiasis in those individuals must be carefully monitored and treated by medical professionals, as it can be life-threatening). The most common "candida infection" that humans are subject to is "thrush" which can infect the mouth and throat of infants (because they don't yet have "good" bacteria colonies firmly established). There is also a rising incidence of candida infections in the wounds caused by tongue piercing.

If you follow a low-sugar (no added sugar) diet, and generally follow good health practices, you should not have a problem with yeast-overgrowth. There are high-powered anti-fungals which are used when severely immune-compromised individuals get candidiasis, but they would not be used on otherwise healthy individuals. (For example, Amphotericin-B is called "Ampho the Terrible" by medical professionals as, when it is administered intravenously, it has some pretty bad side-effects).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Lol, I thought this was gonna be a thread about maple syrup and beaver tails!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    never mind
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options

Are you talking about superficial skin yeast overgrowth? That is pretty common and easily diagnosed, but it is a VERY different diagnosis compared to a systemic candida infection (which is very serious, rare, and life threatening; occurs in people with severe immune system deficiencies). Dr. Weil might be popular around here (Dr. Oz sure is!) Anyway, EVEN WEIL knows it is quackery to diagnose people with systemic infection despite superficial infections being somewhat common: http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA125503/Concerned-About-Candidiasis.html.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There's no real science I can find behind the "Candida Diet." Candidadiasis is best treated with anti-fungal medicines. The idea that you can eliminate yeast from what you consume and from your body through diet is ludicrous. Yeasts roam free in the atmosphere. Ask any bread baker who uses a sourdough starter about "wild yeast." Many sourdough starters are made simply by the provision of a nice home for the yeast in the air to multiply.

If you have an imbalance of some sort caused by poor diet, too many antibiotics, immuno-suppressant treatments or an immune deficiency caused by some other disease you may provide an environment in your body where the yeast can flourish into Candidadiasis. The increased resistance provided by the "Candida Diet" may simply be a reflection of eating healthier foods.

Also, it is possible that you and your boyfriend are passing it back and forth to each other.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

diet and candida is not an "iffy" thing, and promoting PPIs are the exact opposite of what you should do for candida. lol that's hilarious.

OP look into the work of Dr. Jonathan Wright.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

diet and candida is not an "iffy" thing, and promoting PPIs are the exact opposite of what you should do for candida. lol that's hilarious.

Umm, who is promoting PPI's? Seriously wtf?

Diet and candida is an iffy thing because so many people think they have systemic infection when they do not. Second of all, management of a true long term infection by diet alone is difficult and suggestion other possible immune issues. I guarantee you I have more personal experience managing candidiasis than you do. Successfully too.

Or do you think that cytochrome P450 is related to PPIs? Damn, Coach, again you need to learn to ask questions and drink a little humble tea.

I'm not going to share current personal stories here but I can tell you that someone with zero sugar in their diet - in fact with zero food - can develop candidiasis. Please go ahead and explain how to eliminate via diet alone an infection with someone who is not eating.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Diet and candida is an iffy thing because so many people think they have systemic infection when they do not. Second of all, management of a true long term infection by diet alone is difficult and suggestion other possible immune issues. I guarantee you I have more personal experience managing candidiasis than you do. Successfully too.

Or do you think that cytochrome P450 is related to PPIs? Damn, Coach, again you need to learn to ask questions and drink a little humble tea.

I'm not going to share current personal stories here but I can tell you that someone with zero sugar in their diet - in fact with zero food - can develop candidiasis. Please go ahead and explain how to eliminate via diet alone an infection with someone who is not eating.

meh that's fair - PPIs are all "zole" drugs. but you're right, i should have asked to clarify.

nonetheless, the advice about Dr. Wright, his treatments, and his books, is the same. Diet can have a huge impact in treating candida, as well as restoring healthy gut function, which drugs don't do.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

meh that's fair - PPIs are all "zole" drugs. but you're right, i should have asked to clarify.

nonetheless, the advice about Dr. Wright, his treatments, and his books, is the same. Diet can have a huge impact in treating candida, as well as restoring healthy gut function, which drugs don't do.

Ok, appreciated. And you are right - the typical GERD treatment - PPIs along with duo antibiotics is in fact an open invitation for a Candidas bloom, but I wasn't suggesting that - treatment of choice remains fluconzole and company (anti-fungals).

And yes, diet can have a huge impact in restoring flora and helping manage the situation, but as an actual treatment it is just less efficacious. I understand you have a bias against drugs and medicine but they aren't all snake oil.

In any case, the single most important element against this fungus is the immune system.