Penny_Lane_ Posts: 163
    You should disguise the weapon you want to kill the critter with1

1366139927643.gif
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    A 22.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Daryl Dixon is how you get rid of a squirrel.

(I'm gunna feel like an *kitten* if there's no walking dead fans on here haha)
    I would prefer it if Rick came and helped me.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    If all else fails, the rat trap works. We didn't want to do it, but had tried everything else we could think of and three of the little marauders had invaded the attic and were a) chewing up everything in sight and b) bowling or something up there all night, every night. If you do get them out, plug up their entry point or they'll be right back.

I like the flying squirrel routine, but that squirrel probably enjoyed the ride!
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    My old landlord used traps for them. We had tons of squirrels in the yard and trying to get into the house. She would trap them and than bring them to a forest and let them out there. Worked well. Maybe try putting the trap somewhere else to see if he'll go for it again? If you can get to it right away you can relocate him.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Shoot better ;)
    But if that wont work-brazil nuts in the trap. or peanut butter. Squirrels are not like raccoons-they arent bright animals.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    We tried shooting a red squirrel who is destroying our house, we then tried a life trap. Guess what, I CAUGHT HIM, guess what else, he knocked himself OFF THE DECK and GOT FREE.

Will he fall for that again? My senses say no, not at all. How the hell do I get him now......I am so mad, omfg.

Sorry i know this isnt weight loss related, haha

I was going to suggest the pellet gun, but then I recall your writing that you had "tried" shooting it. Why didn't that work out? In my admittedly limited experience, no rodent can withstand the modest firepower of the .177 caliber pellet, propelled by CO2. The first hit might not do the job immediately, but there's always the second, third, etc. "Repeat 'til complete."
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Aww, poor squirrel.
    However, the gif with the strainer cracked me up.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    A cat will keep the squirrel numbers down.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    We had squirrel problems. Rotten things actually chewed a hole in the eaves and were nesting in the roof.

We called the exterminator. He said "you have 2 choices - humane or effective - which would you prefer."

We went with effective, which meant leaving poisoned peanuts for the little frakkers.

It worked.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Call animal control like normal people?
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    If they are getting into a portion of your house that's accessible to you, try putting down moth balls.
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    I've been through this already. Yes, you can trap squirrels more than once. We trapped squirrels all the time at my house last summer. Our neighborhood was full of them. They LOVE to eat peanut butter on a cracker. Place a heavy object on top of the trap if a squirrel is able to move it around, or anchor it to the ground with tent stakes. After you have caught the squirrel, carry it in the trap around your property setting it down every so often to yell at it, bang on the cage, and if you have dogs, then have them bark at it too. This only needs to last for a few minutes. Basically, you're scaring the crap out of it and associating that fear with your property. Then, I recommend re-homing the squirrel in a nice woody area at least 10 miles from your property. Next, quickly patch up any damage the squirrel may have caused so another critter doesn't try to take it's place.

We no longer have a squirrel problem. Just a couple of cute squirrel neighbors.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Daryl Dixon is how you get rid of a squirrel.

(I'm gunna feel like an *kitten* if there's no walking dead fans on here haha)

Oh hell yes!

crossbow-not-included.jpg
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Anyone else now getting Terminix ads on their computer? They're watching us....:huh:
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Call animal control like normal people?

Depends on the city, but most animal control officers won't retrieve an animal if they have to climb under, into, behind, or over anything. It would have to be trapped in a room. They also usually won't deal w/wildlife on a property, unless it's sick or injured.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Dig a pit
    Light a fire in the bottom of the pit and wait until it goes out completely
    Take a can of peas and line the peas around the edge of the pit every 6" or so
    Hide and wait

When the squirrel comes to take a pea, kick him in the ash hole!
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    you should be able to trap it again, i've caught and released and caught the same squirrel before
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    you should be able to trap it again, i've caught and released and caught the same squirrel before

I hope so, he's a wicket smart squirrel.