I've gained 25 lbs while in a caloric deficit...what gives?

Options

Replies

• bigdgeek
    bigdgeek Posts: 88
    Options
    generally it is not possible to add muscle mass while in a deficit - except for those who are very overweight and those that are new to lifting (which you apparently are not).

Oftentimes, we girls set our caloric goal too low...I know this sounds counterintuitive, but when we underfeed our bodies we slow our metabolsim resulting in plateaus and, eventually, weight gain. How much do you eat each day? May be you are too severe a decifit...

I'm at about 1400-1500 a day. Various calculators say I should be at between 1900 and 2300 a day, depending on my activity level.
  • bigdgeek
    Options
    New doctor - ASAP. Mine was rude to me and I'm finally dumping her. (She never gets back to me about test results either, and a few times, it was very important).

Get to an endocrinologist. My doctor would never treat me for my borderline hypothyroid numbers, but my endo LISTENED to my symptoms and that along with the blood tests (3.5-4), I was prescribed levothyroxine (I also take a T3 pill as well now). It has made a HUGE difference in my life. I suggest making a list of symptoms that you have, including the weight gain. Are you tired? Is your hair thinning? Do you have problems being cold or being constipated?

Lastly, I suggest you talk with someone about your body image issues. I understand that gaining weight can be stressful, especially when it's unwanted (and unwarranted due to behavior). However, describing yourself as almost having an ED, and then being upset because you are at a normal weight seems like disordered thinking. Perhaps reading some books (library) and making an appointment with a therapist that specializes in eating disorders/body dysmorphic disorder can help with your thinking.

Good luck!

I have pretty much every symptom of an underactive thyroid. I haven't found an endocrinologist who will see a patient like me who does not have a diagnosis in hand. My last doctor even tried to refer me to one and he could not find one who would see me. No diagnosis, no appointment. :-(
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    generally it is not possible to add muscle mass while in a deficit - except for those who are very overweight and those that are new to lifting (which you apparently are not).

Oftentimes, we girls set our caloric goal too low...I know this sounds counterintuitive, but when we underfeed our bodies we slow our metabolsim resulting in plateaus and, eventually, weight gain. How much do you eat each day? May be you are too severe a decifit...

I'm at about 1400-1500 a day. Various calculators say I should be at between 1900 and 2300 a day, depending on my activity level.

What does your nutritionist tell you?
  • bigdgeek
    Options

I had 2 sessions with one; it wasn't helping, so I stopped going because it was $130 a session and my insurance won't cover it.

She said my body is in starvation mode and I need to eat more to make it stop piling on fat.
  • a_claire
    a_claire Posts: 61
    Options
    Go to the doctor.
  • bigdgeek
    Options
    Go to the doctor.

Why? I'm not trying to be flip or rude or anything; I've been twice in the last 12 months and was told I'm perfectly healthy. What would be different this time?
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

I had 2 sessions with one; it wasn't helping, so I stopped going because it was $130 a session and my insurance won't cover it.

She said my body is in starvation mode and I need to eat more to make it stop piling on fat.

I think the nutritionist may be onto something here...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    No one gains 25 pounds in "starvation mode."
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Stop running/doing cardio, unless it's HIIT.

http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/5343/why-women-should-not-run/

ETA: link. :smile:
  • bigdgeek
    Options
    No one gains 25 pounds in "starvation mode."

You're right, I'm making it all up. Every word. :grumble: :huh:
  • Cobwellac
    Cobwellac Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Um, the OP said she had a borderline eating disorder; the last thing she needs to be asking for is advice about how to get her weight back down.

OP, you may be having an inflammatory response where your body is holding onto water weight. If you were in starvation mode, I doubt you'd pile on 25 pounds. Also, what was your TSH reading? A lot of endocrinologists are very old-fashioned with numbers and won't treat you if you're not over 3 or 4, when in reality, the best level should be between 1 and 2.
  • bigdgeek
    Options
    Stop running/doing cardio, unless it's HIIT.

http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/5343/why-women-should-not-run/

ETA: link. :smile:

Hmm...that is an interesting article. But what should I do instead of steady state cardio?
  • bigdgeek
    Options
    Um, the OP said she had a borderline eating disorder; the last thing she needs to be asking for is advice about how to get her weight back down.

OP, you may be having an inflammatory response where your body is holding onto water weight. If you were in starvation mode, I doubt you'd pile on 25 pounds. Also, what was your TSH reading? A lot of endocrinologists are very old-fashioned with numbers and won't treat you if you're not over 3 or 4, when in reality, the best level should be between 1 and 2.

I honestly don't remember; they gave me the results but I can no longer access the online site to get to them and I don't remember what my TSH number was.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    sub 20% for a female is pretty lean

But that's what I want. :-) I want my six pack back!

That wasn't a six pack, that was your organs.

Your body just figured out how to stabilize itself, despite your efforts to be extreme.

You mention logging, but are you also weighing and measuring your food? Using a HRM for your exercise?

You should calculate maintenance for your current weight and activity level and try eating that for a couple of months. Engage in some kind of strength training program at the same time.
  • bigdgeek
    Options
    That wasn't a six pack, that was your organs.

Your body just figured out how to stabilize itself, despite your efforts to be extreme.

You mention logging, but are you also weighing and measuring your food? Using a HRM for your exercise?

You should calculate maintenance for your current weight and activity level and try eating that for a couple of months. Engage in some kind of strength training program at the same time.

I weigh and measure; I don't trust a "1 cup of" measurement. I look at the equivalent weight on the package and go for that. Measuring anything but liquids by volume to me is just setting myself up for incorrect measurements.

I don't have a HRM; I use the ones on the machines.

Right now I'm wary of any calculations I used in the past since clearly what I'm doing isn't working. Do you have a calculator you can recommend? Or a site that will give me good ideas on a strength training program?
  • airen123
    airen123 Posts: 149
    Options
    Try eating more for 3 days (keep your workout routine the usual). Take in 1800-2400 for those 3 days and resume what you were doing. Do this every 2 weeks-it helps reset your body's expectations of what it's taking in and expounding.
  • effrontery
    effrontery Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Not to be alarmist, but if you haven't been to the gyn, I would also go get your yearly. I started gaining belly weight rapidly and couldn't figure out what was going on, and it turned out I had uterine fibroids. It's pretty common in women late 30s-early 40s, and can be one source for unexplained weight gain. Just one person's experience!
  • bigdgeek
    Options
    Try eating more for 3 days (keep your workout routine the usual). Take in 1800-2400 for those 3 days and resume what you were doing. Do this every 2 weeks-it helps reset your body's expectations of what it's taking in and expounding.

Kind of like 'shocking' your metabolism? I've heard of other people doing this but haven't tried it myself.
  • bigdgeek
    Options
    Not to be alarmist, but if you haven't been to the gyn, I would also go get your yearly. I started gaining belly weight rapidly and couldn't figure out what was going on, and it turned out I had uterine fibroids. It's pretty common in women late 30s-early 40s, and can be one source for unexplained weight gain. Just one person's experience!

I don't have any symptoms of uterine fibroids; are they usually asymptomatic? It's been a couple of years since my last smear but I've never had an abnormal smear and am not sexually active, so my GYN has told me I don't have to have a smear every year. I guess regardless I'm due for an every other year smear. :-|
  • bigdgeek
    Options
    By the way has anyone here used one of those fitbit or body bugg things? Do you recommend them? If so is there a specific make/model that you recommend? I have an iPhone so I could use one of the ones that talks to your phone via bluetooth. :-)

Today at home I am going to do HIIT with kettlebells followed by some (for me) heavy lifting.

Thanks!