calories burned during weight training??

Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
So I keep track of the calories I burn during cardio. But I have no idea about how many when I'm lifting so I don't even log it. I I lift about 2 times a week. One day I'll work on tri's and back. Another day I'll work on Bi's and shoulders, and then I'll do chest(I do this on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but not all those on one day..) 3-4 excersises on each one and 3 reps of 12. I dont even know how I would keep track of the calories that are burned. I just figure that it's probably not really a significant amount so why bother. Does anyone else log that?

Replies

• sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    you can log it under "cardio" as "strength training" then just log your minutes and it will give you an estimate, or you can get a heart rate monitor and it will tell you what you burn.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Actually, believe it or not---you burn calories ALL day when weight training. When you do cardio you only burn calories while you are actually doing the cardio. Your body will continue to burn calories after you are done weight lifting. I log it in the "cardio" section under "strength training. I usually cut the time in half though to be sure. Example: If I lift weights for 30 minutes, I only log it as 15. It all depends on how vigorous you are going and how much weight you are using.
  • tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    Also the MFP exercise tracker will let you log weight lifting,and it will calculate it for you according to your size and stats.You have to log it correctly so it will find it for you,like dumbell curls,etc; then it asks how many sets,reps,and weight/lbs.

Hope this helps.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    The best way to count those is to get a hrm watch. I got a polar watch and it is great. The type of strength training I do burns more calories than my cardio. My heart rate is at 171 give or take, most of the time. So the only accurate way you can monitor strength training is by buying a decent watch and it is well worth it!!
  • tex43
    Here's an example,hope this cut & paste works.

Bench Press, Barbell Sets: Reps/Set: Weight/Rep:
    Standing One-Arm Dumbbell Curl Sets: Reps/Set: Weight/Rep:
    Triceps Push Down Sets: Reps/Set: Weight/Rep:
    Shoulder Press Sets: Reps/Set: Weight/Rep:
    Shoulder Shrug Sets: Reps/Set: Weight/Rep:
    Back Extension Sets: Reps/Set: Weight/Rep:

Not so good,the numbers didn't show up but at the end of each line item it calculates cals burned taking into consideration your particular body.
  • tex43
    Yeah I have the polar too,the one above is right they're great!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    you can log it under "cardio" as "strength training" then just log your minutes and it will give you an estimate, or you can get a heart rate monitor and it will tell you what you burn.

oooooo i did not know that! I will pay attention tonight to how long it takes me. Thanks!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Here's an example,hope this cut & paste works.

Bench Press, Barbell Sets: Reps/Set: Weight/Rep:
    Standing One-Arm Dumbbell Curl Sets: Reps/Set: Weight/Rep:
    Triceps Push Down Sets: Reps/Set: Weight/Rep:
    Shoulder Press Sets: Reps/Set: Weight/Rep:
    Shoulder Shrug Sets: Reps/Set: Weight/Rep:
    Back Extension Sets: Reps/Set: Weight/Rep:

Not so good,the numbers didn't show up but at the end of each line item it calculates cals burned taking into consideration your particular body.

I'm still unable to figure out WHERE you do this. I usually log specific moves under strength but under cardio, when I select "weight training", it doesn't calculate my calories for me. Is it supposed to or am I looking in the wrong spot?
This discussion has been closed.