can a person workout too much?

Options
Im currently doing the 30DS and walking 2 miles a day, my husband says that's enough, that I need to let my muscles and body rest some. I have been pretty much taking the weekends "off" I don't do my walking or workout but have been doing yard work and playing with the kids outside pretty much all day long. Im wanting to incorporate another workout to my daily routine but wondering if that may be pushing too hard? here is the workout i am wanting to. Nothing major right now but would would work my way up to bigger weights and more reps.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/fullbody-dumbbell-strength-workout-women

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely yes. Your body needs rest days - this is where the muscles repair and rebuild themselves and is necessary.

I train 3x a week and rest 4 days. everything I have read suggests this is the way to go for best health and fitness.
  • minijag06
    minijag06 Posts: 70
    Options
    Hi Sarah, I'm in your boat. I am doing the 90 Day Revolution in the AM but I added Jillian's ab DVD at night. I don't think it's overkill. I love how I feel. Our training is more aerobic than weight lifting.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Why don't you alternate that workout with your current one?
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    What you're doing doesn't sound like too much, walking isn't all that strenuous. But yes, you can definitely overtrain.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/overtraining/
  • meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    It depends on how YOU feel! Some days I workout 3-4 hours and somedays 1-2 hours; if my body is sore or I am tired I work less.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    2 a days aren't uncommon, but one can overtrain. If one isn't getting enough rest or recovery and the right nutrients, then overtraining is very possible.

Don't think that doing multiple training programs in a day is going to improve you that much faster. It's better to get really good at one thing then to try to take on multiple programs at one time. Quality over quantity counts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition