New to running...

Options
Or, jogging I should say. I started last week, pushed myself to do 2 miles (on the treadmill) and I thought I was going to die. After a few days I pushed up to 2.5, and in the next day or so I am going to go up to 3. The problem is, I run (jog) very slow, like a 13 minute mile. I'm at about 32 minutes for 2.5 miles.

I need some tips on how to run faster. It seems that if I go any faster, I don't have the endurance and it's hard to get my breathing under control. Should I just stick with running further/longer and then later go for speed?

I have only been at this for a week and a day, and I am trying to go 5 days a week. Any suggestions or advice?

Replies

• JudyB21
    JudyB21 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert and fairly new to running. But I would say take it slowly. I've been there, overdone it and got the injuries to prove it. I wish I'd listened to the advice to build up slowly but I'm impatient. Try one of the couch to 5k plans.
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Are you already in shape? This seems crazy to me, I've been training for 6 weeks and am just now running 1.5 miles at 14mph. Of course, I couldn't walk 30 min. when I started. You sound like you could benefit from the couch to 10K program. There's a forum on here under groups I think. They start with running for distance and then increasing speed. I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just amazed and taken aback. PS That's my neice's name:)
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You are doing the right thing starting out slow. Don't worry too much about trying to go faster. The more you run, the faster you'll get naturally. For a couple of weeks, just keep doing what you're doing. After 3-4 weeks, if you'd like to see speed improvement a bit quicker, take 1 run out of your week and work on speed, the rest of the time just keep running at a comfortable pace and slowly increase mileage.

For your speed workout, try doing intervals. If you're on the treadmill, run 2 minutes at a comfortable pace, then bump it up a little bit for 2 minutes, then go back down, and repeat.

Best of luck to you and Happy Running!
  • scribega
    scribega Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Take it slow. The distance and speed will come in time. The last thing you want to do is try to progress to quickly and injure yourself. Use the Couch 2 5K program. Many people have had good success with it and it is a good way to build up distance and speed at a good rate.
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    Don't ramp up your mileage too quickly, or it can lead to injury. Don't worry as much about going faster as going farther... gradually. Try adding a 1/2 mile or mile each week. If you can make it 2.5, do that for a week, then move up to 3 for a week or two. 5 days per week after NO running at all - just be cautious and listen to your body. And you might find that you get up to 4 miles and you're stuck there for a little while longer.

I have been a runner for several years, and even after a couple months off, I make sure to start slowly, because the only thing worse than running slow is being too hurt to run :(

Try Runner's World magazine - they have come good guides online for increasing your mileage and speed.

Edit: I truly don't want to discourage you, I am just very wary because my knees are finicky, and the majority of runners I know have similar issues. I totally understand wanting to just run fast and forever - it's a great feeling, isn't it?!
  • Jackie80taylor
    Jackie80taylor Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    13 mins isnt that bad for a beginner.... dont worry about your speed that will come later, i have been running for a few months and very rarely do i go faster than a 12 min mile but i am ok with that because at the moment i am building up endurance that will help me in the future when i am ready to try and run faster :-)

when i started i couldnt get to the end of the road without stopping but now i can easily get to the 1st mile before i have to stop to take a breath :-) keep going and the speed will come x
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race. Keep up the good work! Speed will come :)
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Whatever you decide to do.......make sure you are wearing the right shoes. Fast, slow, long distance or short, it makes all the difference in the world.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Follow the old adage, slow and steady wins the race! or in your case, leads to the development of the fitness level and muscle readiness to increase distance and speed. Keep your running at a conversational speed, don't push too hard or too far too quickly or you will stop enjoying yourself.

I've been running for 3 years now and am happy with a 10 minute mile pace for the most part (yes, I'm slow, but I care about distance more than speed), but when I started I was definitely around the 13 minute mile until I got used to it! You'll get there, just make sure you have fun doing it!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Should I just stick with running further/longer and then later go for speed?

Yes ma'am! It was a very gradual build of distance, and an even more gradual build of speed for me. It's common advice to try to increase your distance by 10% each week. If that means running to the next mailbox, so be it! Keep at it, you're doing so great!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    PIck the distance you want to train at . . .you sound like your aiming for a 5k. You're almost there. When you can do the distance at whatever pace. . .13:00/mile. . .whatever - THEN start worrying about speed. Once you cover the distance, start including 30 -60 second intervals in that distance where you push your pace. Then slow back down to your normal pace. You'll be out of breath and tempted to stop. . .don't. Let your body slowly recover. Increase the number of times you do these faster intervals for about a month. Then, try to step up to a faster, but even pace, for the entire distance. You may have to slow down, but I think you'll be surprised to see how those speed bursts helped improve your overall ability. Training terms you can google search: Interval training; fartleks (not a joke. . .it's real).

Good Luck! Running is addicting. :-)
  • sarahbai1
    Options
    I just started running in february and I am at a 12 1/2 minute per mile pace. Sometimes I can get to 11 but I tire out after the first mile. I too have had multiple strained muscles, sore knees and ankles. It is hard to remember that it doesn't happen over night but definietly take it slow. I would like to go fast so I can get done sooner lol but In just shy of 3 miles I am burning a little over 300 calories which is enough really. A friend of mine has been running for a few years and she also started at the same pace we are and now can do a little under 10 minutes. She can't remember when it happened it just did. Just be patient. I have ran 3 5k's since I started running and finishing the first one was the best feeling ever! I had not really excercised in over 10 years. I think signing up for races allows you to push your distance and time while also keeping you motivated to keep running. I tend to slack a little by myself, but not on a group run! I also started doing spin once a week which has seemed to help with my cardio.
  • Mbishop7684
    Mbishop7684 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I started the couch to 5 k treadmill program 5 weeks ago and I am almost done with week 5! (tomorrow I run for 20 mins straight) The biggest advice that the program and every other runner I've ever met is, START SLOW. Running is hard. At first I tried running a straight out mile at a 10mn a mile pace. I did it, but then I DIED after and couldn't run again for the longest time because that experience was NOT pleasurable. I decided to try the C25k program and it has helped in so many ways.

http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html

I LOVE RUNNING now. I am EXCITED to run 20 mns without stopping (albeit a little scared too!). I have learned my body, its warning signs and subsequently how to protect myself from over-doing it and getting injured. I burn approximately 350-400 calories in 30 mins of running. Take your time, get some good music, and ENJOY IT!
  • Mamalea32
    Mamalea32 Posts: 134
    Options
    I totally agree with adding intervals. Try 1 minute at a speed that is very challenging. Then drop down to your comfortable speeding for a couple of minutes and keep alternating. Remember to inhale an exhale out through your mouth. Also keep your arms moving rhythmically, but keep them lower than your chest. If u are winded hold them up over ur head for a few seconds while moving to get oxygen better by stretching the lungs out. Dont give up. I am still trying to better my running too. There is always going to be room to improve.
  • jillybean_75
    jillybean_75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Are you already in shape? This seems crazy to me, I've been training for 6 weeks and am just now running 1.5 miles at 14mph. Of course, I couldn't walk 30 min. when I started. You sound like you could benefit from the couch to 10K program. There's a forum on here under groups I think. They start with running for distance and then increasing speed. I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just amazed and taken aback. PS That's my neice's name:)

No, not at all. I am 5'4" and 221. Ugh. Anyway, I tried the C25K but got bored with it (back in the fall of 2012). I started running at 5 mph (12 min mile) and I got winded, or couldn't control my breathing, so I dropped it to 4.6mph and I felt like I could go on forever. Ok, not forever, but I wanted to keep running not walking. Most I pushed myself back then was a mile and I thought I would die back then too. Then I lost my motivation to keep going to the gym over the cold, cold winter.

I started back up last week. A friend of mine keeps telling me it is mind over matter, so last week I was out to prove that was true. When I back got on the treadmill the first time, I put some new music on my iPod and just pushed through it and I was at 2.0 miles.

ALSO: I find that I actually LIKE running on the treadmill more than outside, which is contradictory to most. Any tips to get to running outside?
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    WOW! I am struggling with running, "jogging" but my miles are just now getting to be around 13 minutes, and I'm damn proud of that!! lol Always listen to your body, if you go at a faster pace then you can handle then you won't be able to run as long.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Take it slow. The distance and speed will come in time. The last thing you want to do is try to progress to quickly and injure yourself. Use the Couch 2 5K program. Many people have had good success with it and it is a good way to build up distance and speed at a good rate.

Yes, that's how I started.
    Over time, as you build up your stamina you will slowly be able to increase your speed/pace.
    Be patient with yourself.
    It's great that you want to do this :smile:
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Slowly. Don't compare to other runners and seeing how fast they're going. They all started where you did at one point in their life. You'll get there.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    No, not at all. I am 5'4" and 221. Ugh. Anyway, I tried the C25K but got bored with it. I started running at 5 mph (12 min mile) and I got winded, or couldn't control my breathing, so I dropped it to 4.6mph and I felt like I could go on forever. Ok, not forever, but I wanted to keep running not walking. Most I pushed myself back then was a mile and I thought I would die back then too. A friend of mine keeps telling me it is mind over matter, so last week I put some new music on my iPod and just pushed through it.

Well, it's not 100% mind over matter, but it sounds like you're doing really well, so be patient with yourself. It takes time to build up the cardiovascular health that is required to pump all that blood around to feed those muscles to move your body. As you drop weight, and keep at it, your times will improve, but if it ever feels "easy" you're likely doing it wrong.

I've been running for most of my life, and I love it. I had to interrupt a marathon training season in February for an injury, but (fingers crossed, knock on wood) I'm hoping to get approved to start running again on Monday. You know what I'm going to do Monday evening? I'm going to run/walk 15 second intervals, likely about 5 times. This is a far cry from my last training run, which was 15 miles. But I need to be patient with myself. It's so frustrating it makes me want to scream (and run faster!). But it is necessary.

Like my coach says: "Train for where you ARE, not where you want to be."

One thing that I've found helps my patience and frustration is to measure my runs - I run with a heart rate monitor that records time/speed/distance/heart rate. That way I can see that last week's frustratingly slow, agonizingly short run, was actually much shorter and slower than this week's frustratingly slow, agonizingly short run. I.E. - I can see progress in the numbers, even though I feel like I'm still getting nowhere.

I am not a patient person. But when I let my impatience take over, I get hurt, and that's worse than being frustrated.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Just like everyone else has been saying, keep it slow! Especially at first, it's the only way to build up your endurance.

I used to HATE running, and it's because I always felt like Ihad to go fast. Once I slowed down, I really started to enjoy it and now I'm addicted!!! I just ran my first 1/2 marathon a ittle over a month ago and am now training for a full.

I started out at around an 11 1/2 minute miles and now run between 8 & 10 (usually around 9 though) depending on the day. I do try to mix in speedwork about once a week, which had helped a lot, but I didn't start the speedwork until I'd been running for a few months.