LACTOSE INTOLERANT

Options
I JUST FOUND OUT THAT I AM LACTOSE INTOLERANT.

Anyone else out there with this?

what are thing that have milk it it that you wouldn't think would?

i have some cilantro paste at home and looked at it this morning and it contains milk!

Replies

• HulaCherry
    HulaCherry Posts: 45
    Options
    Hey there.

You should still be able to eat some dairy in moderation. My best friend is lactose intolerant and she still has a piece of pizza every now and then and other cheese items. I wouldn't worry about your cilantro paste unless you get an upset stomach after you eat it. I would just stay away from slugging a glass of milk every now and again.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I am as well. You can still have some dairy products in moderation. They also make pills to help you digest the food better when you do have diary. I'm originally from Wisconsin and love nothing more then cheese. It really depends how bad you have it. I will suggest that if you do protein shakes, muscle milk is lactose free. That's what I use for protein shakes now. I however do not drink milk at all. That upset my stomach the most. But I still eat some cheese and pizza from time to time. Good luck!
  • crucible_13
    crucible_13 Posts: 54
    Options
    Taking Lactaid pills before eating/drinking dairy products is really helpful in eliminating/reducing effects of eating/drinking dairy products.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    There are varying levels of intolerance.
    Most people can have small amounts of cheese or other dairy products.
    Mostly its milk and heavy cream that cause the most issues. Unfortunately, the best way to know what you can and cannot have is through experience.

i would hight recommend the lactose pills.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Get some lactaid and take that before eating dairy. Lactose intolerance usually doesn't show up until late adolescence or adulthood. I'm lactose intolerant but I can tolerate low fat/non fat yogurt, cottage cheese, and cheeses. If it's full fat, that's usually when it bothers me. I do drink lactose free non fat milk because milk tends to be a trigger. But I don't omit dairy from my diet. All it means is that your body can't break down the lactose.

"That's because the friendly bacteria in our large intestines gobble up at least some of the lactose our enzymes can't digest. it's only when people consume too much lactose for their bacteria to handle that gas, cramps, and diarrhea set in."

this site will answer a lot of questions:
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0813/is_n3_v18/ai_10661459/

you'll be fine if you use the cilantro paste. =)
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    There are varying levels of intolerance.
    Most people can have small amounts of cheese or other dairy products.
    Mostly its milk and heavy cream that cause the most issues. Unfortunately, the best way to know what you can and cannot have is through experience.

i would hight recommend the lactose pills.

I experimented the last two day and I tell ya not much fun at all, I still feel gross.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I would definitely look into the lactose pills then. Sounds like you might be ultra sensitive. They help A LOT!
  • rmccully
    Options
    i will have to try that out

right now I am on a NO dairy or whet for two weeks

then after that I am to add one thing back each day.

I don't eat much wheat or dairy so when I do my body just goes crazy.

bloating ..cramps...gas...stomach gurgaling(sp?) and frequent frequent frequent urination. So frequent that when it is bad I can't leave me house, can't go grocery shopping or anything. and forget about my 3 mile run or going to the gym.

But I have the problem figured out thanks to drinking my favorite bubble tea (milk tea) 3-4 times in a week.

I am taking some herbs now to get my body back in check.

I had one of those pills yesterday before my experiment with another bubble tea and it did not help.

So I will try it again in a couple of weeks when I try adding things back in and see if it helps.

thanks guys

any and all info is greatly appreciated.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    When you start adding things back your body is going to be ultra sensitive. I suggest starting with things where the lactose is already partially broken down like yogurts.
  • alisal0113
    alisal0113 Posts: 9
    Options
    I've been lactose intolerant for years now and it definitely gets easier. These days most products will say Dairy Free or even let you know if it was processed in close proximity to dairy products. You can still enjoy basically everything you are use to enjoying, just with alternatives. For example, instead of having your cereal with regular milk experiment with Rice Milk, Soy Milk, or my personal favorite, Almond Milk. The same goes for yogurts and cheeses.

If you are new the being lactose intolerant I would recommend cutting dairy completely out of your diet for awhile. Try avoiding processed foods until you have cleansed your body of all the dairy you've been eating for years. Once you get out of the habit of purchasing processed foods you'll find it easier to find alternatives and you'll feel A LOT better.

If you feel like you must indulge, or you are going to a restaurant where there may be questionable food I recommend Activated Charcoal. If you take a capsule or two before you eat and then afterward until according to your needs it helps tremendously. It is a natural way of trapping the gases and toxins dairy and various other things deposit in your body. Just make sure you don't take it before or right after taking vitamins as it will absorb those as well.

You mentioned cilantro paste (pesto), try making your own dairy free. It is easier than you think! <http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/cilantro_pesto/&gt; You'll find that when you purchase these things they add all kinds of unneeded goop to it.

You mentioned no wheat so I'm assuming you have a gluten allergy as well? That is a little harder. I can relate to that as well because I have a gluten allergy, among many others. Luckily, this is becoming easier since more and more people are developing gluten allergies. Be sure to check out your pastas, breads, and pretty much ANYTHING that has grain. Yet again, I would recommend cutting all processed foods out of the picture because, yet again, companies like to add random gluten-filled deliciousness to everything. Avoid Chinese food until you are more familiar with your ingredients.

I've been dealing with this since I was about 13, so if you have any questions just shoot me a message!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've been lactose intolerant for my entire life. It seems to come and go in waves, where for a few months anything dairy without upsetting my stomach and then I'll be ok to eat ice cream with minimal issues. I definitely suggest buying the Lactaid pills. I took them quite a bit throughout high school, and as an adult my intolerance hasn't been as bad as when I was a child. Soy milk or Lactaid are great milk substitutes. My life was revolutionized when Silk came out when I was in high school. Feel free to friend me, I'm the lactose intolerance expert! And in my opinion, real milk tastes nasty. Since I've never really drank it, I HATE the taste.
  • rmccully
    Options
    I've been lactose intolerant for my entire life. It seems to come and go in waves, where for a few months anything dairy without upsetting my stomach and then I'll be ok to eat ice cream with minimal issues. I definitely suggest buying the Lactaid pills. I took them quite a bit throughout high school, and as an adult my intolerance hasn't been as bad as when I was a child. Soy milk or Lactaid are great milk substitutes. My life was revolutionized when Silk came out when I was in high school. Feel free to friend me, I'm the lactose intolerance expert! And in my opinion, real milk tastes nasty. Since I've never really drank it, I HATE the taste.

I am 32 years old and I have never ever liked milk. when I was a kids my parents made me drink it but I hated to drink it because it gave me a stomach ache. I eat very little cheese, once, it too gives me stomach aches. I do fine with the chobani greek yogurt. But I only have one a day. If I have they in the frig.

I have never eaten a lot of dairy cuz it has always made not feel the best but I never knew why. I said something to my mom last night about it. She said that they never knew of it and being young first time parents they just new milk was good for me and I needed to drink it. But she does recall me never liking it and saying that I had a stomach ache. So it has only taken 32 years to figured out why I never liked the stuff.

I have been using Almond, rice, and soy milk for a long time. I have also been buying quinao, and quinao pasta or rice pasta.
    Bread which I love Is what I am gonna need to figure out I think. Am I better off just buying a bread maker and making my own bread?
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    I'm a little confused about lactose intolerance because I was lactose intolerant for years - I couldn't touch even a small amount of lactose... but these days I can have skim milk in my cereal with no problem, or a serving of ice cream without running to the bathroom crying...

Is lactose intolerance something that eases like other food intolerances can???

But just a note you should be able to have yogurt despite the lactose intolerance and if you love your milk goats milk is rather low in lactose so should be okay. :)
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm slightly lactose intolerant as well. Ice cream especially ruins me. I'm good with cheese and light dairy yogurt, milk, etc.