Ice cream - burning calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Come on OP...I think you know the answer to this...really...all those lean people out there stuffing their faces with ice cream.

If you love ice cream, have some ice cream from time to time, but don't fool yourself into thinking you're doing some big calorie burn while you're eating it. If that were the case, everyone would be skinny as a rail.

I eat ice cream. Every. Single. Day.

Yeah...but you're a beast with a big calorie goal :laugh:

I can't wait to go into a bulk...I love me some ice cream...or is it iced cream?

1363802775_guy_wont_give_his_girlfriend_ice_cream.gif

Actually, I could probably fit it in now, but I also really like beer and stuff.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
    Come on OP...I think you know the answer to this...really...all those lean people out there stuffing their faces with ice cream.

If you love ice cream, have some ice cream from time to time, but don't fool yourself into thinking you're doing some big calorie burn while you're eating it. If that were the case, everyone would be skinny as a rail.

I can't wait to go into a bulk...I love me some ice cream...or is it iced cream?

Actually, I could probably fit it in now, but I also really like beer and stuff.

Nothing I can argue with in that entire response. Carry on :drinker:

ETA: Nevermind, found something. Bish, get your own ice cream.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Hi! Recently I've heard some "information" that if you eat ice cream, your body actually burn a lot of calories to warm them. I'm sceptical about it, so that I want to ask: what do you think about that? Summer is coming and I personally love ice cream so it would be nice to know how much truth is it in that.

It's true, look at all the lean people who eat ice cream on the daily or mult times a week

^^ That's science right there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    :drinker:

Nothing I can argue with in that entire response. Carry on :drinker:

ETA: Nevermind, found something. Bish, get your own ice cream.

It's annoying how that dude gives in at the end....
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Google it.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    MATH to the rescue!

1 calorie (small c, not a food calorie) is the amount of energy required to raise one gram of water by one degree Celsius. A food Calorie (big C) is 1000 calories.

Let's assume ice cream is water, or at least has similar thermal properties to water. Further assume your ice cream is stored in a freezer at 0F, which is about -18C. Also assume your internal body temperature is 98.6F, which is 37C. Each gram of ice cream you consume must be warmed by 55C, which consumes 55 calories. A serving of ice cream is approximately 100 grams, thus it will take 5500 little-c calories, or 5.5 food Calories to warm the ice cream to body temperature.

Yep, you burn a whole 5.5 Calories eating a serving of ice cream! Eat as much as you want!

Actually, you forgot about the latent heat required to convert ice to water before it can start warming to body temperature.

Just saying.:wink:
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    MATH to the rescue!

1 calorie (small c, not a food calorie) is the amount of energy required to raise one gram of water by one degree Celsius. A food Calorie (big C) is 1000 calories.

Let's assume ice cream is water, or at least has similar thermal properties to water. Further assume your ice cream is stored in a freezer at 0F, which is about -18C. Also assume your internal body temperature is 98.6F, which is 37C. Each gram of ice cream you consume must be warmed by 55C, which consumes 55 calories. A serving of ice cream is approximately 100 grams, thus it will take 5500 little-c calories, or 5.5 food Calories to warm the ice cream to body temperature.

Yep, you burn a whole 5.5 Calories eating a serving of ice cream! Eat as much as you want!

Actually, you forgot about the latent heat required to convert ice to water before it can start warming to body temperature.

Just saying.:wink:

Quite right, I did neglect that, and it's actually significant. The latent heat of water is 79.72 cal/g, so it actually takes 79.72 + 55 = 135 calories (approximately) to warm a gram of ice cream to body temperature. So that 100g serving of ice cream actually burns 13,500 calories. or 13.5 food Calories.

Yes, I am this pedantic all the time...
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options

Me too! Yum.