Average 5K time - first race

Options

Replies

• RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Do it now!

When I ran my first 5k pushing a jogging stroller my time was 37:52. Eight months later I ran one pushing the stroller in 29:52. Huge improvement, I was so proud of myself. Sunday I ran a 5k, my first with out the stroller and my time was 28:01. I like that I started running races when I was new to running, it's been a good way for me to measure my progress.

I have never come in last in a race and Sunday with a field size of about 5700, I had 3000 people finish after me.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Run YOUR race-not anybody else's. Do YOUR best and don't compare yourself to anyone.
    Good Luck to you.
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I can do a flat run in about 27 min. Did a bridge run with a crazy effin headwind on Sunday in just under 31. It was hard as hell! So, it depends on the course, conditions, etc.

Go sign up now!! You will be sooooooo proud of yourself no matter what time you get!!
  • sedickison
    sedickison Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 3K in 22 minutes and my first 5K is in a month. I can currently do a 5K in about 39 minutes. Go ahead and register!! You're competing against yourself and the clock and certainly not the other runners.
  • agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was March 2nd. I finished at 50 minutes. It was a trail walk up/down the side of a mountain. One of the hills I stood for a second at the bottom and questioned my sanity.
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Do it. You will naturally run faster on race day, adrenaline kicks in, maybe competition. I always try to catch the person in front of me. Make a day of it with some friends, pick someone on race day that you dont want to get passed by, sing songs and encourage the people around you. Going in to a race expecting to win is arrogant use each race to test your abilities and get stronger.
  • Cmmf1234
    Cmmf1234 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Your time is fine. This is a huge accomplishment that not many people experience. I did my first 5k last year, 33 minutes.
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    DO IT!! I did my first 5k last fall in 41 min. I didn't worry about the time, I was just excited I finished and I was by far not the last.
  • Rgtjax85
    Rgtjax85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You are already a speedster in my eyes. My first 5k was about 34 minutes. I now run at 30 minutes or less. The cool thing about running is that it is an individual sport. Run the best you can and randomly cheer on people that you pass or pass you.
  • Rgtjax85
    Rgtjax85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    ^ Very true the excitement of the race pushes you even more.
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    I did my first 5k in 43 mins

That was at a swift walk and I was about to die because I was so outta shape... My dad was walking off and leaving me like it was no big deal -.-
  • lynn_hickey
    lynn_hickey Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just did my first 5k sunday, and my time was 41.53. The atmosphere is so amazing that I am hooked! Already signed up for my next one, and obviously going to work on my time. Hoping to cut at least 3 mins off by my next one. The skill level and ages of everyone running were all so different, and no one is there to judge! I think I'm still on a high from it! lol
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    My first 5 was done in 34:04 so 35's pretty good!
  • lej91
    lej91 Posts: 12
    Options
    Alright, I registered!! Thanks to everyone who responded (if you see this) because I am super motivated and exited. I'm running next friday, and my brother is doing it with me! This forum has been so inspiring.
  • Run_Forever
    Run_Forever Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Congrats on signing up ! The most important thing and hardest thing to do is actually register for a race. I kept making excuses for so long thinking I needed to be a better runner before registering for a race. My first race I ran was with my sister 7 years ago and I have been hooked ever since.
  • lynn_hickey
    lynn_hickey Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Alright, I registered!! Thanks to everyone who responded (if you see this) because I am super motivated and exited. I'm running next friday, and my brother is doing it with me! This forum has been so inspiring.

Good luck and have fun!! You will love it and want to do more :)
  • padisneyfour
    Options
    Been reading this.... I am signed up with my family for my first ever 5k in late june(color me rad) I am scared to death but looking forward to it at the same time..... I just want to finish..... good luck to you!
  • PaulJRaymond
    PaulJRaymond Posts: 100 Member
    Options

I hope you'll come back after the race and let everyone know how you got on!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    The 1st 5k I did was with a toddler and an infant, and a wagon....it took us an hour and we still weren't the last ones!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I think 35 minutes is awesome!!!