Body Fat Calculation not right?

Options
I am trying to get an idea of my body fat and hence how much I need to lose. I have tried calculators but they keep saying I am around 17.2%. Considering this an athlete's body and trust me when I say I am no where near that I don't know what to do! I am wondering if my height is throwing off the calculator by any chance?
My measurements are:
Height: 5 foot 11
Weight : 160 lb
Neck : 12.5 inches
Waist: 27
Hips: 35

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    Your weight is throwing me off, too, given your height....because what you SHOULD weigh is usually a "range" (not just a number)....which might depend on whether you have a slim frame, etc.

Are you "skinny fat"?? Because then you likely want to make sure heavy-lifting is part of your exercise regimen so that, when you are in a calorie deficit, you can make sure the weight you are losing is FAT loss.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    PS - I don't trust any of the calculators to give an accurate depiction of your body fat %. Get a DXA scan - it will tell you true!
  • m76b
    m76b Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    ohhhh Thats nice!! thanks for post this!!!!!!!!!!!! so im 30 not 38 !:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

still fat hahaaaaaaa!! WIP:grumble:
  • strawberryjellybaby
    strawberryjellybaby Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Your weight is throwing me off, too, given your height....because what you SHOULD weigh is usually a "range" (not just a number)....which might depend on whether you have a slim frame, etc.

Are you "skinny fat"?? Because then you likely want to make sure heavy-lifting is part of your exercise regimen so that, when you are in a calorie deficit, you can make sure the weight you are losing is FAT loss.

Skinny fat - that definitely sounds like me! I am fairly slim all over but have the classic lower stomach podge? I am doing 30 DS and C25K as I am incredibly unfit but I am losing inches everywhere but there.

Also whilst on the topic, does anyone has any advice for starting a new gym and starting a weights program? I have never done any lifting and would quite like to but unsure how to approach it, especially in a new gym.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    bump
  • strawberryjellybaby
    strawberryjellybaby Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Just found a different calculator by someone on MFP that gave me 24.9% BF which sounds more realistic for me. Thanks for everyone's input!