Ring sizing

paulaswrld
paulaswrld Posts: 49
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Last week I finally had to do it. My rings were SLIDING right off my fingers. I couldn't risk it anymore so I brought them to the jeweler. My fingers went from a stealth 6.5 to a pencil-like 5.5. Great job, right?! OK until it's $150 later for sizing and re-soldering. My rings are platinum so that's why so much. (3 rings total) So it lead me to wonder, who else has had to have your rings re-sized? When I started losing weight, I didn't think much about that factor. In the last few weeks, it was a big issue.

Replies

• XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    I haven't done it yet because I still have 40 pounds to lose - but as I was wagging my finger at my girls yesterday for whatever naughty thing I caught them doing - my anniversary ring flew right off. Hurray, right? Sad I can't wear my bling though! Oh, and mine are platinum too!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    it's coming soon for me...my jeweler told me $50, I have two bands that are soldered together, but they're 14K. My ring was snug on me 40 lbs ago, now it slides off when wet, but since it's wide (10mm), stays put *mostly* while dry. But in another 5-10 lbs, I'm going to have to do it...I have a rolling ring I weaar on my right hand, it was also snug when I bought it, but I bought a smaller size knowing I was shrinking... Now it is just a tiny bit tight, so I think it'll be perfect when I get finished. I hope so because the rolling ring style is much harder to re-size.
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    I'm wearing my rings with sizers on them right now LOL :-) I need to break down and get them sized.
  • swopeswick
    swopeswick Posts: 43 Member
    LOL... I had a very similar experience recently... I got married in September, but bought the ring last June or July. Since the purchase, I lost another 25 or 30 lbs and the rings started getting looser and looser. Finally, the breaking point was when I was coaching my daughters' softball team on a COLD night and the ring pretty much dropped off my finger multiple times. When I got home and told the wife, we pretty much went to the jeweler the next day and dropped it off for re-sizing. luckily, we bought the lifetime service plan so we can bring it back any time for any reason and they adjust it/ clean it/ fix it at no cost.

It is a great feeling... the ring is not the only thing... I'm swimming in my 36" waist pants too... woohoo!

Congratulations... keep up the hard work!!
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Years ago, I got a ring from a boyfriend (not an engagement ring). I started losing weight and it was pretty loose. I was having a bad day so I took a bike ride to the lake. I was skipping rocks and I heard this metal pinging sound. It only took a couple seconds for me to realize that I had just flung my ring. It hit a stone before plunging into the icy lake. I looked for about 10 minutes until my legs and arms were completely numb from the cold. Since then, if my rings get loose enough to actually fall off, I have them resized because it's just not worth it the risk. That, or put them in a safe place until you can wear them again.
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    for now I'm not wearing them, between changing the baby's bum and being too loose I'm afraid I'll loose them or scratch my little one so I'm going to resize them when I reach my goal weight. Besides when I go out its not like I"ll be picking up men with two little kids in toe ;)
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Right now I'm wearing fake bling from Avon because I can't wear my real rings. My finger went from a 8.5 to a 7 and I'm only half way to my weight loss goal. I don't think my hubby likes it that I'm not wearing the real rings that he gave me, but he'd rather me wear the fake ones than lose the real ones at this point. :wink:
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    I'm just going to make my hubby buy me new rings when I reach my goal weight. I think after losing almost 200 lbs I'll deserve a present that big. :laugh:
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    My wedding rings are sliding off my fingers all the time too. I was at least 70-75 pounds heavier when I got married. Probably more. Other rings that I could previously only wear on my pinky fit great on my ring finger now. I must have lost at least 2 full ring sizes. But I'm holding off on resizing my wedding bands until I reach my goal weight. I have another 24 pounds to go.
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    I'm just going to make my hubby buy me new rings when I reach my goal weight. I think after losing almost 200 lbs I'll deserve a present that big. :laugh:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'm with you!

I just wear a cheap gold band... it's always been the symbol to me, not how expensive it is! But the first one I had was a 9.5, and I lost it at about 45lbs. So I bought another in a tight 8, and now it's loose too! But I will put it on a chain and wear it that way till goal. My engagement ring is a size 6, and I had to have it cut off years ago, but it's in safekeeping, and I will get it resized at goal. I have a really valuable antique white gold ring with a stone in it that is also a 6. It was a gift from my grandmother, who now has Alzheimer's. I can't wait til I can wear that one again.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Right now I'm wearing fake bling from Avon because I can't wear my real rings. My finger went from a 8.5 to a 7 and I'm only half way to my weight loss goal. I don't think my hubby likes it that I'm not wearing the real rings that he gave me, but he'd rather me wear the fake ones than lose the real ones at this point. :wink:
    I'm sure he'd like it a lot less if they were lost due to not fitting!
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    I wear two rings. Both of them are sliding around on my finger. I find myself constantly and subconsciously whirling them around to face "up" with my other fingers. They aren't sliding off yet but it's proof that I'm shrinking.
  • dmcpage
    dmcpage Posts: 66 Member
    When I got engaged, my ring was my normal size of 6, then I had to get it resized up to a 7 when I got married. When I got to my largest weight, I couldn't get my wedding ring off for a year and my finger was probably about a size 6. It was so gross because I had to pick out the skin under my finger but couldn't get the ring off. Then I got that ring resized when I started to lose weight. Then I lost the ring (it was actually the cat's fault). Got a replacement ring that is less flashy and I like it alot better, but I'm finding I now need to go down another half size (back to a 6) to make it comfortable without it sliding off when I wash my hands. A good sized ring with sentimental value is definitely worth the cost to resize--better to be safe than sorry. :)
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    I'm sure he'd like it a lot less if they were lost due to not fitting!

Exactly! I'm looking forward to getting my real rings resized when I get to goal. Yay! :happy:
  • mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    Mine are a little loose but for now still stay on. I don't plan on getting them resized until after I reach my goal, since I am only 1/3 of the way there I don't want to keep getting them resized.
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Hey! I didn't even think about making my hubby buy me new rings. What a great idea!!! We got our wedding rings at a pawn shop. Resizing them will cost probably half what I paid for them! :-)
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Hey, to all of you who aren't wearing your wedding rings because they fall off, try putting it on a plain gold (or silver) chain and around your neck. That's how my dad has always worn his wedding ring, but I think that's just because he can't stand rings or maybe because he lost his wedding ring in the ocean on his honeymoon!
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Nothing yet for me. I'll be turning cartwheels when my hands get slimmer. My rings fit when I got married, but I was 185lbs. I'll just be happy if my rings don't make my fingers look like a piece of sausage with a gold band around it. :embarassed:
This discussion has been closed.