Mental illness and physical health

Options
NakeshiaB
NakeshiaB Posts: 250 Member
I'm wondering who else on here suffers from mental illness and how it has affected your fitness/weight loss journey?

From a very young age I lived with depression, both my own and very close family members. Depression has had more influence over my life that I would like it to. Although it was always there causing chaos, I had a fairly good upbringing and have become mentally stronger for it. I was never a sporty kid, although I enjoyed a country lifestyle and loved anything to do with the water. My family ate well. Dad would hunt and we all fished, we also grew our own vegetables and shared produce with other family. Whenever we had our regular get togethers the chips and lollies would come out for the kids. So I was active and probably ate too much sugar, but it was good.

More recently I've been suffering from dysthymia and anxiety. The anxiety is entirely new and has been incredibly scary. I'm at the point now where I have stopped pressuring myself to get better and I am letting the worries/fears/emotions run their course. I know that my emotions cannot hurt me and when I come out the other side of a panic attack, I am one step closer to getting better. I truly beleive my body is worn out and needs space to recover, so I'm hushing my mind, sitting back and letting it do it's thing.

One issue that has arisen is that I have been using my anxiety as an excuse to not just get on with life. I KNOW exercise is good for me and will actually help my mental state, I KNOW that wine won't make me feel better and I drink too much, I KNOW chocolate doesn't make you happy and I KNOW what I need to get out more, but all my worries and fear make it hard to get off the couch. Plain and simple I've been lazy. I eat fairly well, but I have to due to digestion issues. I think now I'm slowly in the process of breaking out of my fear. I can see a clear road to recovery in front of me now, I am doing things that I would normally hide from. Recently I signed up for Michelle Bridges 12 Week Body Transformation. I think this will be the kick in the a*** I need and hopefully it will get me back out into the world. Most of all I now have hope, something I haven't had for a very long time.

So how are things going with your journey? Feel free to add me as a friend, maybe we can be each other's motivation along the way?

Replies

• Laurel0724
    Laurel0724 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bless your heart! I, too, have struggled with depression my whole life and KNOW that it has a lot to do with my weight issues and visa versa. I also know that there are things that I can do to mitigate the damage of the depression: namely stay away from sugar and exercise daily. I fight tooth and nail NOT to do these things and have every excuse in the book for why I didn't exercise today or indulged in that sugary substance. Thing is...if I was a cancer patient would I do the same thing with my medication? That is the bottom line for me. AND I really do believe that once I lose all my extra lbs. and exercise daily, I won't have to take half as much medication. So, yes, I do understand!
  • NakeshiaB
    Options
    That's a great way of looking at depression. There's no excuse for not giving your body what it needs. I'm lucky in that I don't rely on medication (frankly it only put a band aid over the problem when I was taking it). I hope you keep your chin up and stay strong :-)
  • lindsabe11e
    Options
    I haven't been on MFP in months because of a really hectic period in my life. So glad you shared your story though- thank you!! I have struggled with anxiety since I was a child and depression since teenage years. Addiction of all kinds runs in my family, and I firmly believe I'm "addicted" to sugar. It's my go-to when stressed or anxious, which is often. It's great to hear you're on your way to recovery though and looking into things to make you healthier!! You should be very proud of yourself :) It's not easy! Right now, I'm reaching out to MFP for some support again to help get back on the right track. I'm shy when it comes to these things, so it's difficult to actually TALK to people I know, lol. But I am a good listener too, and understand your struggles, so feel free to add/message me any time for support or just to chat :)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with clinical depression at age 13, and later, as bipolar. I am also diagnosed with OCD, social anxiety, anxiety disorder and suspected Asperger's syndrome (females are often not spotted when children as we tend to be better at social aspects than males and thus are quite good at copying 'normal' behaviours.). I suffered severe anorexia at 18, that left me weighing 70Ibs at 5'11. I survived, somehow, though because it was never treated at the time, I have been plagued ever since with various unhealthy eating behaviours.

I have been on more medications than I can remember, and refuse to take it now. It is hard. I had severe panic attacks for years when I left my mother to live with my boyfriend, being in a new place, and with both he and his mother being at work all day. I would take valium just so I would sleep all day and not have to deal with it. And then, once off the valium, I would spend all day having back to back panic attacks that left my hands going numb, and me crawling around the floor trying to cry amidst the feeling of not being able to breathe. It took it's toll on me and left me housebound for sometime as I would experience dizziness everytime I tried to go out. I missed many university lectures as a result, and never completed my degree.

When I left my now ex, and was diagnosed and medicated appropriately for hypothyroidism, the panic attacks virtually disappeared. I still get them in situations where I am in a crowd and feel trapped, or when there is a lot of noise, but other than that, no. The OCD is my main issue currently, due to living in a poor environment and not having an occupation. My active mind has to go somewhere and unfortunately, it hyper focusses on useless minutae.

I find exercise helps me, and that too much sugar is detrimental. I also had to break out and start doing something involving people as I tend to be quite self isolating, so I joined a philharmonic choir. It is good you are starting to break out of your comfort zone. In the end, I concluded after many panic attacks, that they were not going to kill me, and that I did not want them to steal away the rest of my life. Feel free to add me.
  • mcarden86
    mcarden86 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I read this article today and found it very encouraging, as someone who is trying to fight depression and anxiety without medication. It's tough, and I have days when I just want to beg someone to medicate me. But I know I can bring my own body into alignment, and this study gives me hope.

http://jamesclear.quora.com/Natural-Happiness-The-Truth-About-Exercise-and-Depression

"As the researchers sorted through the data, they discovered that for every 50 minutes of exercise added each week, the rate of depression fell by half. In other words, if you're not exercising right now, then adding just 1-hour of walking per week will cut your risk of depression by 50%."
  • NakeshiaB
    Options
    Thanks for sharing everyone. I hope we can all realise we are NEVER alone in this crazy thing called life. There are always others on your path.

I will flag the article for reading tonight :-) It sounds very interesting.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have depression, and anxiety, and struggle with alcohol dependency.

I spend a lot of time talking myself down, and talking sense into myself when I get a big manic. I don't take medication - personal prefference. I get into my own head a lot, and play into my own illness more often than I would like to admit. I really have to talk myself into doing good things every day. I struggle with extreme thoughts about food, my body, and alcohol. I have to tell myself to get up and go for a walk at least around the block. I remind myself that eating chocolate won't make me happy, but it also won't derail me. I tell myself that it's not my body, but it's clothes that just don't look good. I stopped doing things because I thought it would help, or because people told me it made things worse. I stay inside more, and don't force myself to go out because I "should."

It's hard to not let it consume your life, but learning how to navigate through it, and work with it has made a world of difference in my life.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I suffer from depression as well but I don't consider it a mental illness and the DSM would agree with me. Mental Illness is not a reversible condition. Depression is and it is possible to cure whereas schizophrenia and psychopathy are incurable but treatable. I make this distinction because too often (and historically) it is labeled as a mental illness by society and this is just plain wrong. I am neither mentally ill nor do I want to be considered this way.
  • absinthia70
    absinthia70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bringing this up! I am bipolar, rapid cycling, and I know when I was not on meds and unstable, I was very depressed and eating.. well, everything. Then manic and not eating at all. Now I finally have a good mix of meds, and also take phentermine and vitamin b-12 (my doctor approved them, she thinks the b-12 is an excellent idea!) - and finally now that I am evened out i am able to actually lose some of the weight I put on. Exercise helps alot too, and cutting out most of the bad things from my diet. It's good to know others are struggling with the same issues (I know, that sounds horrible, but I meant it well!) and that we are really not alone with this. Friend me if you like!

edit: About meds, I take them because they work for me and I don't function well without them. I didn't take any for years, but then found that I really needed to. I think it's just a personal decision each of us has to make with what works for us and our own bodies :)
  • brnsgrsbody
    brnsgrsbody Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Bump for later ......let me get to my computer
  • Reaper1975
    Options
    Yep, count me in. I'm bipolar, OCD, and have generalized anxiety disorder. Funny to me, the OCD seems the hardest to deal with concerning the weight struggle. I weigh every day because I am compelled - which I'll start working on. I don't just graze when I'm emotional. I guess I'm lucky because even though I'm heavily medicated, I'm still able to teach - which keeps me stressed but busy and I've not gained one pound from medicines that nearly ALWAYS cause problems for other folks.
  • brnsgrsbody
    brnsgrsbody Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I had been having depression, and am diagnosed with Generalized anxiety disorder supplemental to my Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) , I believe I struggle with certain dependencies. I can bounce from alcohol to prescription drug use. I have been praying and calming myself down to not want to crave certain things. I have been trying to feel my body out in the state of anxiety and/or depression. The reason I am so eager to find a natural remedy to problems Is because of the recent 40 pound weight gain. I have lost some of the weight back but not enough.

I don't take medication anymore and use essential oils now like Frankincense and citrus oil. - personal preference. Also natural methods used all the way back to the Bible days.

I really have to talk myself into doing good things every day. As far as exercise I am ok it's food that is normally the struggle; I hate with extreme thoughts about food, my body, and substance abuse.

Like I said before I think prayer is a big part of my life now and definitely changes things for the better.
  • monikalrobinson
    monikalrobinson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am bipolar and have been dealing with it for all of my adult life. My condition went from primarily mania to full-blown depression 8 years ago which sent me to the hospital and onto 4 different meds. My physical condition started to go downhill as the meds not only caused me to be extra hungry and I'd eat, but my energy level dropped significantly. Where I was normally working out 6 days a week, I dropped down to maybe 2 if I was lucky. I tried and tried to find natural remedies for my condition but had been unsuccessful. I gained over 30 lbs and was unhappy with myself. Then in February I started the OMNI program, complete with the nutritional supplements that are offered through Omnitrition for brain health. I also started taking Garcinia Cambogia to increase my seratonin levels in my brain. This all started working for me. I lost 25 lbs and then dropped off my meds, except for a half dose of anti-anxiety that I feel I really need. My energy level increased, my diet improved significantly and I started working out hard for at least an hour 6 days a week again. At this point I feel fantastic and my health is improving each and every day. MFP has really helped me keep track of my food intake and nutrition levels along with my calorie expenditures. I no longer suffer with the symptoms that I did prior to meds and while on meds. So far so good. I wish you the best! It's tough to have a mental condition and maintain the kind of health we all want to on or off medication.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    i have PTSD and have had depression as well, and it can make it really difficult to stay on track with a healthy lifestyle. However one thing I've found is that weightlifting really helps to beat anxiety and has been the 2nd most effective thing in helping me get over PTSD (after therapy). Also, making sure your diet is balanced is very important. The brain is an organ and just like any other organ, it needs the right nutrition to function best. Low fat and low carb diets are both known to make mental health problems worse in some people. A more balanced approach (i.e. moderate fat, moderate carb) is very important IMO. I set my macros to 40% carb, 30% fat and 30% protein and try to ensure I get a decent amount of healthy fat and healthy carbs to meet those targets (and I have some of the less healthy ones too, just not enough to make me go over my goals). Also getting enough sunlight and vitamin D helps me a lot too.
  • CrazyWhiskers
    CrazyWhiskers Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm bipolar and have generalized anxiety disorder as well. I find eveything very difficult everyday, but with good meds, friends (most of mine are on mfp) and family there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel? I try to eat healthy when I can and I REALLY try to not drink because I find its all downhill from there. Along with taking my meds, I also take a lot of vitamins to try to minimize the effects of those meds.
  • jessicafagan560
    Options
    Hi my name is jessica and i suffer from some heavy depression to first if you ate on medication you should not be drinking. i suffer from dysymia boarderline personality disorder and some other things. when you drink you are not only making things worse you are killing yourself slowly first you need to find people to talk to you need to build up a really good support system second you need to get an everyday private journal and write down every piece of negative feelings and thoughts then keep yourself occupied withwa good things that you love want and cheris start le by litte small one step at a time my biggest problem was how i always tried to do everything at once so now over. the past year i have slowed myself down i found it was way easier for me to loose weight and deal with my mental illness so please if you do need to talk I'm always here
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I have ADHD and do not treat it with drugs and I can tell you some days are a real struggle especially at this time when I have someone in the home that is being diagnosed with depression and I my daughter is having learning issues and under stress and I believe that because I am stressed out that it is causing her issues to. I feel that I have been put into the care taker position in the house where everybody else is getting professional help but me because for them it is free through their job and school but I would need to pay, I have been fighting off taking meds all my life but I think I am losing the battle and may need to go to the doc at some point before I have a breakdown. When I can focus on a workout it is great but I get distracted easily and when I lose focus it is hard to get back. I have also been trying to find people to work out with ( hiking and walking) but most of the women in my community are obese and have no interest in exercise
  • dmfay
    dmfay Posts: 32
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story with us. I think there are a great many of us who are with you or have been. I have struggled with depression and have been off and on meds for it for around 7 years now. While I'm not currently on any meds for depression, I can remember gaining weight (5+ lbs) with one: Abilify. I tell you this, because my doctor did not warn me when he prescribed it.

Also, I learned that a big contributor to the depression for me was hypothyroidism. It is very common, and can be diagnosed with a simple blood test. Hypothyroidism also had contributed to my weight and fertility issues. So, it's worth checking it out with your doctor if you haven't already. The medicine for it (Synthroid) costs approx. $4.00/mo., and helped tremendously.

Finally, for many of us who deal with depression, emotional eating can further our sadness. MFP has been a great accountability tool, but counseling and "real-life" accountability partners can help us replace the temptation to eat with a more positive element. For me, that is my Christian faith; more specifically scripture verses.

I wish you the best, and pray you find peace.
  • Scorcherpants
    Options
    I suffer from depression as well but I don't consider it a mental illness and the DSM would agree with me. Mental Illness is not a reversible condition. Depression is and it is possible to cure whereas schizophrenia and psychopathy are incurable but treatable. I make this distinction because too often (and historically) it is labeled as a mental illness by society and this is just plain wrong. I am neither mentally ill nor do I want to be considered this way.

I suffer from depression too and although I see your point, I'm not sure I agree with you. I don't see depression as an illness that can be cured. It seems once you suffer from it you are prone to suffer from it in future, that's why it's known as bouts of depression. I take prozac and Amitriptyline but still struggle. For me it is something I've suffered from since I was 18yrs, I'm now 40yrs. I have had some periods free of antidepressants which has amounted to 5-6 years but since I was 28 I have been on antidepressants constantly.

There are somethings I just can't cope with emotionally. I couldn't go to my grandads funeral because I wouldn't have coped. I would have sobbed and sobbed and possibly have collapsed. My rabbit died and broke my heart, as he was being buried legs went and I ended up on the floor sobbing. An overreaction to a rabbit dying don't you think? After watching titanic I was in tears on and off for 2 weeks and my depression was worse for a couple of months, again I doubt that would be considered normal. I do believe depression is a mental illness. being labelled that way really doesn't bother me because I'm still me and just as good as anyone else. I just need more understanding sometimes. :-)
  • treenuh_x
    treenuh_x Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have asperger's syndrome, schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type, as well as PTSD and panic disorder. There have been a lot of times I have not been able to take care of myself because I have not been able to pull myself out of bed long enough to do something as simple as take a shower. I am on medication now and it is helping, but it is not a complete fix to all of my problems. I am hoping that with enough therapy, I can cope with the things I need to cope with and learn to take better care of myself.