Tired After Exercise

Options
I think I read somewhere that exercise is supposed to give you more energy. I'm just pooped! I've been hiking or doing treadmill intervals. After I take a shower all I want to do is take a nap! Anyone else? My body feels relaxed and so tired. I'm eating plenty, so it's not for lack of nutrition.

Replies

• Tinasheree29
    Tinasheree29 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    OMG! I am sooo like that. I'm thinking,"Where is all mt energy because I have none!" All I want to do after a hard workout is sleep. I work the overnight shift, and to help me sleep during the day, I will do a hard workout. After that and a shower, I can sleep like a baby lol
  • Kathleenkirkendoll
    Kathleenkirkendoll Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    ditto - I most of the time feel the same way - I think most of the time it has a lot to do with the weather. Sun shining I feel a
    lot perkier.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I don't know a lot of people that do a decent workout with burning lots of fuel and energy and are NOT tired after. I have more energy in the morning and when I have rest days, but never right after I work out.
  • abikinibyjuly
    abikinibyjuly Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Well, at least I'm not alone. I have plenty of sunshine here (California) so I can 't blame the weather. :) I workout in the morning and then I'm spent for the day. I'm afraid if I plan to workout at night, I'll end up skipping it altogether out of sheer laziness. Hoping that some of this newfound energy finds us all ... And soon!
  • lexington87
    lexington87 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was like that until my doctor told me to ease off a little. Now I don't know all of the explaination behind it but exercising to exhaustion (going home and imediatly needing a nap) can slow down your recovery slow your progress. Her comment was to stop and do my cool down/stretch when I start to feel like I'm slowing down. I've only just started trying this so we'll see if its a bunch of bull or not.
  • Ninguneado73
    Options
    Perhaps do a little less? Build up resistance slowly. If I went to the gym and lifted for 90 minutes I would be tired all day. However, 60 minutes is just fine for me.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I used to do a big workout like a long hike or a mountain bike ride and then I was wiped out for the day. Now, I do it and I have plenty of energy to burn. It took almost a year of working out before it changed. Your body is just adjusting. It won't always be like that. The key is to do regular exercise, 3-5 days a week!! But it's normal to be tired afterwards. You should be feeling the extra energy later in the day or the next day.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    LOL the increased energy doesn't come immediately after an intense workout... how could it? The 'more energy' comes as a daily increase you gain from your body being more efficient.

If you aren't tired after your workout then it wasn't much of a workout was it? Just saying.
  • abikinibyjuly
    Options
    Sounds good. I have been going all out ... No rest days. Perhaps I should think about switching it up so it's not so intense every day. Thanks so much for the responses. I do appreciate it.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    lololol you should be tired after a workout!!! thats the point the whole increased energy comes in the long term people who workout have more energy throughout the day but not right after a workout
  • amyplaysflute
    amyplaysflute Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out I'd feel exhausted and have a headache after. It wasn't fun. 3 months later now I actually feel great after I work out. Still tired, but also refreshed, like my insides just had a bath.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'm usually tired, too, but I had gone and go to bed after my workout so it works for me. I usually sleep better, too.
  • aberc
    aberc Posts: 98
    Options
    When I do hard workouts or HIIT, I feel pretty wiped out. A lot of times after a weight training session, I have to sit down and read the newspaper at the gym because I dont feel like walking to the car lol. Same with HIIT, I normally spend a long time stretching to rest. But that's my muscles being exhausted. Mentally, not usually. I get tired after big meals though.
  • TRMite
    TRMite Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    ya add in a rest day and do weight training instead of cardio a few of those days. might make a big difference.
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    For the first while after you've just begun exercising again it will be like that. Your muscles are weak and aren't used to the amount of movement you're putting them through. After the first week or two though it should get easier and easier until it actually starts to feel good. Also make sure you're eating enough calories every day, and especially so on days when you work out. Your body needs fuel to burn and if you aren't eating enough you'll get exhausted.
  • fluffysexyme
    fluffysexyme Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way but not so much any more. I started taking a good multivitamin and working out first thing in the morning. I also eat a bar. I choose Access, but whatever you choose, make sure it burns quickly (carbs, whey) eat it ahead of your workout. Like 20 minutes or so. I burned 800 calories today with only a little fatigue.
  • mgpage
    mgpage Posts: 123
    Options
    I have been doing the Insanity workout and was telling my husband just last week how sleepy it made me. He said well if it didn't make you tired it isn't much of a workout. I tried to explain that about half way through I would get so sleep that I could stop and curl up on the shop floor and sleep through the night. I thought it was because I wasn't eating enough to fuel my body for that intense of a workout, so I increased my calories and it has helped some. But tonight I had to take a nap before I could do my workout, but I ate pretty crappy today so that could have something to do with it. I am so new to all of this that I am learning everything by trial and error. Thanks for posting this I was beginning to think that I was the only one that was having this problem.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    If you're working to exhaustion, you're working too hard. Cut back on time/reps/whatever by a little bit. You should feel like you've been working, but not dead on your feet or in pain. If you're working out until you hurt, you'll just make yourself feel worse in the long run. I know for me, if I'm actually hurting when I'm done, I give up. You should feel a little sore the next day, which should be a rest day, and ready to go back the day after. Over time, you'll be able to increase what you do, and you'll have more overall energy to work with.
  • abikinibyjuly
    Options
    So, today I took it easier. Burned half as many calories as in my intense workouts and I felt so much better afterward *slaps forehead*

Now I understand the importance of not going full out everyday. I can see how that would just burn someone out. :wink:
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I rarely leave the gym with energy. I put it all out there during the workout and leave with wobbly legs, jello arms, and burning lungs. I'm not sure what kind of workout leaves you energized, but it sounds like a great warm-up.