Am I too big to do yoga?

Options
I know that question sounds ridiculous so, let me explain. When I do yoga, even for beginners, I get very lightheaded and dizzy especially from all the inverted poses. I can do cardio exercises without feeling this way. I am heavy but I was wondering if this is the only problem? Will it get easier as I lose weight or do you think I'll still be feeling this dizziness?

Funny but serious post! :)

Replies

• liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not too big to do yoga! :-) I have no idea why you're getting dizzy, but I would suggest finding some yoga classes with fewer inverted poses (or modify on your own). Unless you have an unspecified medical condition, I imagine that over time your body will get used to yoga and the movements, and you'll be able to rock all kinds of inverted poses.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Definitely not. Actually, one of the best yoga teacher I ever had was pretty overweight.

Have you talked to the instructor about your dizziness? They may be able to give you tips on your form that might help or modify the poses for you.
  • Lilianam881
    Options
    No. I've seen some big guys/gals in my yoga class so I don't think you're too heavy. Make sure you are staying hydrated; keep water with you. I do hot yoga about once a week. The room stays warm throughout the entire class and everyone is sweating tremendously. If you ever feel you're getting dizzy just get in childs pose, lotus or lay on your back with palms up; either of these poses wil help you focus on your breathing and should help your dizziness. Once you have been practicing yoga for a while your endurance will build and you won't get as dizzy. I'm able to last through a 90 minute hot yoga class now. Just keep at it; listen to your body and remember to breathe correctly during poses this will help a lot. :)
  • Maxibris
    Maxibris Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    No. I've seen some big guys/gals in my yoga class so I don't think you're too heavy. Make sure you are staying hydrated; keep water with you. I do hot yoga about once a week. The room stays warm throughout the entire class and everyone is sweating tremendously. If you ever feel you're getting dizzy just get in childs pose, lotus or lay on your back with palms up; either of these poses wil help you focus on your breathing and should help your dizziness. Once you have been practicing yoga for a while your endurance will build and you won't get as dizzy. I'm able to last through a 90 minute hot yoga class now. Just keep at it; listen to your body and remember to breathe correctly during poses this will help a lot. :)

This. Hydrate.

Pretty much no one is too big for yoga.