Eating back earned calories? Confused....

Options
I was reading several other posts where people were saying that you should eat back the calories you gain from exercise. Is this true? If it is, I've been doing this all wrong. I have my activity level set as sedentary because I have a desk job, but I'm doing the Insanity program, and I've heard that you should set your activity level higher when doing that program.

So, I'm doing Insanity and have a calorie goal of 1200. I earned 300 calories from today's workout and have 200 extra, leaving me with a deficit of 500. Am I supposed to eat these calories to avoid the "plateau" I've been hearing about?

I'd be ever so grateful for any input or clarification. Thanks!

Replies

• DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in the answer to this as well. Thank you.
  • hastings10
    hastings10 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i generally will not eat back my calories i work off. i may eat a few here and there but usually dont eat them and i have been gradually losing weight. i also switched up my workout routine also. was only running but then added weight lifting.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I eat them back only if I'm hungry.
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I eat back my calories, Im more interested in body compositioni than how much I weigh.
  • Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat them back, especially if you are only eating 1200 a day! You can definitely net a lot more than that and still lose weight.
  • koberna
    koberna Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you go too low(especially if you don't hit 1200 mark) your metabolic rate will set itself to slower making it harder to lose. I usually make sure I eat my 1200 then play it by ear(or body) as to how much I "eat back".
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it is wrong or right but I don't. Seems to work for ME.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP's settings, you should eat back your exercise calories; MFP already sets you up with a deficit depending on your goals.

If you're at sedentary, you should DEFINITELY eat back your exercise calories, as having a net calorie intake under 1200 is very likely to play merry hell with your body, as well as strip away muscle as the body tries to feed its organs.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I usually eat some of mine back. I feel that MFP overestimates calories burned for most activities (at least for me) and it's easy to underestimate calories eaten by forgetting something or not measuring, Incidentally, I don't believe there's a right or wrong on this either but another way I play it "safe" is by not logging things as exercise that I don't do specifically for exercise. So I don't log house cleaning and gardening and stuff like that.
  • sunnyflower1177
    Options
    I eat them back only if i am really hungry!!!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Have you calculated your BMR? I like to make sure that I eat at least my BMR calories, but I don't necessarily eat all of my exercise calories back.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    MFP already give you a deficit when you create your account. So for example:

Scenario 1:

This person does not exercise. To maintain their current weight, they would need to eat 2100 calories. They join MFP to lose weight and choose 1lb a week weight loss.

Maintain: 2100
    MFP Goal : 1600
    Deficit: 500 per day/ 3500 per week

Scenario 2:

This person is going to exercise. To maintain their current weight, they also need to eat 2100 calories. They join MFP to lose weight and choose 1lb a week weight loss, but decide not to eat exercise calories.

MFP Goal: 1600
    Exercise: 500
    Net : 1100
    Deficit: 1000 calories

By not eating exercise calories, back this person is dropping into a dangerous area. Over time this person will probably have their metabolism slow down and maybe even have other health related issues. Netting under 1200 can be dangerous for your body.

Scenario 3:

This person is going to exercise and try to eat some if not all of their exercise calories back. They also maintain at 2100.

MFP Goal: 1600
    Exercise: 500
    Net: 1600
    Deficit: 500

This person will lose at the same rate as the person in scenario 1, but should be able to avoid the bad side effects of scenario 2. This person, if doing strength training will also look healthier as they get closer to their goal then the person in scenario 1.

Over all, unless you're using the TDEE-20% method then you should eat at least some of your workout calories back.
  • missshadowlovely
    missshadowlovely Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP's settings, you should eat back your exercise calories; MFP already sets you up with a deficit depending on your goals.

If you're at sedentary, you should DEFINITELY eat back your exercise calories, as having a net calorie intake under 1200 is very likely to play merry hell with your body, as well as strip away muscle as the body tries to feed its organs.

I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS ANSWER!

Thank you so much, I can never get my point across clearly but this did the trick!
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options

THIS EXACTLY! The only time you shouldn't eat back your exercise calories is if you are doing the TDEE - a %. Your exercise calories are then already calculated into that. MFP uses the NEAT method which is no exercise calories calculated/included. Eat them back! You are netting way to low especially with doing a program like insanity!
  • AnimePrincess13
    AnimePrincess13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am doing insanity as well. You def want to eat back those calories or you will start having trouble doing the workouts. And most likely aren't preforming at your all.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Depends on many variables: physical, mental, and biological. In the end it is entirely up to you. Many folks on here will tell you eat back half....Nothing wrong with that. Many folks on here will tell you to eat back all....nothing wrong with that. Many folks on here will tell you to not eat back any....nothing wrong with that. It's completely your choice and preference. I personally do TDEE-10% so my activities are all ready incorporated into my deficit. My opinion, if you get hungry eat them. If you begin to plateau up your cals a bit.

Good Luck
  • tigersfan90
    Options
    I only eat my calories back if I'm absolutely starving. And that seems to work for me. And also, you can't eat the same about of calories every day. You have to give your body some change or it'll just get use to your calories and nothing will happen. That's my theory anyway. Hope this helps! :)
  • planomania
    Options
    Aww man, thanks so much. I've been netting around 1000 cal/day and of course I'm always hungry. Well, I guess I'll go have a nice dinner since I have about 600 cal left for today.

But for my other question: should I set my activity level higher since I'm doing Insanity or leave it at sedentary?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Leave it at sedentary and add in your exercises in the exercise tab.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Aww man, thanks so much. I've been netting around 1000 cal/day and of course I'm always hungry. Well, I guess I'll go have a nice dinner since I have about 600 cal left for today.

But for my other question: should I set my activity level higher since I'm doing Insanity or leave it at sedentary?

You said you have a desk job...are you actually sitting at a desk for 8-10 hours a day straight...not getting up and walking around...just sitting? If not, I would be bumping it up to the next level. Very few people are actually sedetary...people under estimate their activity level a lot.