I know BMI is a good estimate BUT....

Options
Are they really THAT accurate that a matter of TWO POUNDS (for me at least) will take me from being "overweight" to "normal weight?" Don't get me wrong, I am still working on losing about 7 to 10 more pounds, but REALLY? I plugged in my current weight and height, which gave me a BMI of 25.2... which is overweight and told me about all the health risks associated with being overweight... Yet when I plugged in my weight minus 2 pounds, I was 24.9 and got to see "CONGRATS, youre a normal weight!"
I just don't see how *just* those 2 pounds will magically reduce my risks and blah blah blah... But maybe they do??

Replies

• Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    When I get into my healthy bmi, people start to accuse me of being too skinny, and ask if I'm on drugs (seriously!!!). BMI can kiss my butt. At 160 lbs (0.6 above the healthy weight line) I have been to my doctor and been told by a physical exam, "you must work out regularly, you have the heartrate and bloodpressure of a teenager"
    to get under that, I had to quit the gym, and I ended getting sick then fat again. I'm not pushing for weight anymore once I get healthy, I will have my body fat analyzed and work on that being healthy. In the mean time, weight is the easiest measurement
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Are they really THAT accurate that a matter of TWO POUNDS (for me at least) will take me from being "overweight" to "normal weight?" Don't get me wrong, I am still working on losing about 7 to 10 more pounds, but REALLY? I plugged in my current weight and height, which gave me a BMI of 25.2... which is overweight and told me about all the health risks associated with being overweight... Yet when I plugged in my weight minus 2 pounds, I was 24.9 and got to see "CONGRATS, youre a normal weight!"
    I just don't see how *just* those 2 pounds will magically reduce my risks and blah blah blah... But maybe they do??

They have to draw a line somewhere, even though you're right the transitions are smooth, not discrete.

But I mean what do you want them to do? I mean if a speed limit is 60 is 61 really "speeding" but 59 is not? That's a difference of what 3%?

Lines have to be drawn somewhere for simplicity.
  • darcyrose_texas
    Options

They have to draw a line somewhere, even though you're right the transitions are smooth, not discrete.

But I mean what do you want them to do? I mean if a speed limit is 60 is 61 really "speeding" but 59 is not? That's a difference of what 3%?

Lines have to be drawn somewhere for simplicity.

Around where I live, as long as you're going less than 10 over it's not speeding ;) lol
    But really, I understand your point! I just think that it's borderline crazy/almost funny that according to it, in 2 pounds I'll magically be healthy! I see so much controversy on theses boards about whether or not BMI is accurate, but I've never seen anyone discuss how 1 pound can change whether someone is "overweight" or healthy. Heck, for some people they could become "healthy" just by using the bathroom right before weighing lol
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am not nor have I ever been that skinny girl. I am 5'3 and the least I have ever weighed as an adult is 127. When I was younger I was in to horses, and I worked at Pizza Hut as the dough girl. (working with dough that heavy did amazing things to my body!) I was solid muscle I had a six pack and cut muscle on my back, which I discovered by accident after a shower one day. But with clothes on I looked like a chunky monkey. I finally had to learn that, that was just the way I was built. I finally had to learn that my body is just differnet the other women and I was never going to look like a super model unless I sat on my butt and starved myself into oblivion. I have teeny tiny bones and a huge butt! I look odd if I get in to the 120's 135 is probably the lowest my body should go. BMI doesn't alway work.