WHAT KIND OF WEIGHT LIFTING SHOULD I BEGIN WITH?

Options
As a 54 year old female with 100+ to loose. WHAT KIND OF WEIGHT LIFTING SHOULD I BEGIN WITH? I want to begin incorporating weight lifting..... where do I begin? Thank you in advance.

Replies

• MollieA912
    MollieA912 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women would be a good place to start. It does a really good job of explaining why women should lift and eat a higher protein diet. Also explains why each exercise is done and tips to keep good form. I have it on my kindle and use it for reference. There's also a group on here that's good. They have lots of info.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women would be a good place to start. It does a really good job of explaining why women should lift and eat a higher protein diet. Also explains why each exercise is done and tips to keep good form. I have it on my kindle and use it for reference. There's also a group on here that's good. They have lots of info.

This for sure! You will LOVE your results!
  • MrsWells1983
    Options

I have been wondering too, thanks to the OP for asking the question and thanks for the answer, I'm off to check it out!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is a nice and simple beginner programme http://stronglifts.com/

There's more text in his articles than needed so go to:
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/ <-- scroll down to "StrongLifts 5×5 Workout A" and "StrongLifts 5×5 Workout B" to see how simple the plan is.
  • ItsFinallyHappening
    ItsFinallyHappening Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'll read the book and check out the 5x5 plan Thanks!!!
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    First and foremost... FOCUS ON YOR LIFTING FORM AND CONTROL!

Here's some stuff I learned so far...

• It's quality not quantity. Lifting lighter but with awesome form and control will give you better results.
    • Learn the proper forms for the exercises and start with light weights. It's about controlled movements.
    • Leave your ego in the parking lot. It's about YOU, not about the 'bro' next to you slamming weights.
    • Create a doable lifting schedule and stick to it. Usually 1 muscle group per day with about 5-6 exercises will do it.
    • GET MORE SLEEP
    • Don't overtrain. Build in rest days where you do NOTHING.
    • Make sure you eat well. Weight lifting requires good nutrition.
    • Don't be shy to ask a trainer or experienced lifters for advice. Just avoid the 'bros'... you'll spot them easily.

Good luck. Friend me if you want.
  • MollieA912
    Options
    wswilliams put it really well! I have to agree with him on form and lighter weights for sure. If you're competitive like me, you'll try to best your personal best every time and I've learned that it can be very detrimental to form. I have to remind myself of this every time I'm in the squat rack! lol. Also, getting enough sleep is really important like he said. You'll be able to tell in the weight room when you do't get enough.

It may not be about the "bros" next to you but it's pretty cool when you walk up and grab the same weights they have then sit down next to them and make it look easy :)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the less weight comments - read that book and you will see the science behind heavy lifting. Women do not bulk unless they are genetic outliers or work really hard for years and eat at a surplus the entire time...

Causing damage to your muscles, and allowing rest days in between for them to repair themselves, improves their strength - lifting easy weights does not do this - you may as well do straight cardio, in my opinion.
  • MollieA912
    Options
    What I meant by using lighter weights was use lighter weights for a time to give muscle memory a chance to help get form right. Form is the most important thing. Otherwise, you will hurt yourself. Oftentimes quite severely.
  • twilasue54
    twilasue54 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have not purchased the book for NRLW. Before I would, are there any physicians or physical therapists on here who can give me advice on lifting heavy with the following conditions. Cervical spinal stenosis, arthritus in neck and Knees. Primary dr told me to stop doing lunges and squats and no stairs for excercise. SHould i only lift light or moderate? i have had to get steroid shots in neck before due to pain.