overestimating?

Options
2»

Replies

• Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I always overestimate rather than underestimate because it is much better to me to have a surplus rather than not. This is quick reference if you are out and did not know for sure how much you have been given.

A standard serving of...
    •cereal (1 c.) = a baseball
    •salad dressing (2 Tbsp.) = a shot glass
    •nuts (1 oz.) = a cupped palm
    •cheese (1 oz.) = a ping-pong ball
    •hamburger (3 oz.) = a mayo jar lid
    •peanut butter (1 tsp.) = one die
    •beef (3 oz.) = a bar of soap
    •rice (½ c.) = an ice cream scoop
    •potato = a computer mouse
    •dinner roll = a yo-yo
    •butter (1 tsp.) = a Scrabble tile
    •fruit (1 c.) = a tennis ball
    •cooked pasta (½ c.) = a golf ball
    •fish (3 oz.) = a checkbook
    •poultry (3 oz.) = a deck of playing cards
  • Thor127
    Thor127 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I personally slightly overestimate on what I eat when I don't prepare my own food, however if you start preparing similar foods to what you eat at restaurants or other people's houses then you can measure what you are taking in at home several times until it is much easier to estimate when you go out. I also find it easier if I try to eat at places that post their nutritional information online, which is thankfully becoming much more common.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    While NONE of this is 100% accurate, using an inexpensive food scale (found mine @ WalMart for less than $10)
    and measuring spoons/cups
    is a GREAT way to get an idea of serving sizes
    until you can trust your eyeballs to measure ( however, I've been in maintenance for 1.5 yrs and mine STILL can't be trusted)

it may sound like a lot of *bother* but it isn't much different that learning how to cook-
    first by following a recipe,
    then tweaking it with your own style,
    then branching out and doing your own thing...
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I am too have a problem estimating food portion when I have to eat out. I do carry out food scale with me in my bag though and what I do is just ask the restaurant staff/waiter/waitress for another empty plate-preferably a big one before pulling the scale out. Then after I got the plate, I put it on my scale and most people won't notice it.

I do have problem estimating how much of the cooking oil in the dish though. I order pan grilled dish a lot but I am not sure how much oil is being used so I tend to overestimate it by 2 tablespoon per dish and add more 100-200 for sauce/seasoning/marinate.