Squats...what do you do if you don't have a rack or spotter?

Options

Replies

• tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    If the basement is fairly open you can use 2 sawhorses that you build to the right height. Put a block on the back side so that if you fail it doesn't roll off the end.

You could take your squatting to a patch of grass you're not particularly fond of outside. If you fail let go and step forward.

I like the sawhorse idea if all you're using it for is squatting though. You can build 2 saw horses out of 4 - 2x4s and some nails for about $10.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    IMO, join a gym. If that's not possible, learn bulgarians, sumo squats and goblet squats.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Goblet squats

^^^^This could be an alternative for a while. They are harder than traditional back squats, in my opinion, so you won't have to lift as heavy to get a good workout.

No disrespect intended, but if you believe Goblet Squats are harder than Back Squats then you're doing something wrong.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I just looked up the goblet squats and may try those...if anything for a good warm up. I think I'm just going to invest in a squat rack of some sort. They would also help with the start off position for the overhead press when I start to get up there in weight.

Dandur, I actually just emailed that company this morning to inquire about a rack and shipping. Hoping they get back to me today. I also saw a used 1 for sale but wouldn't be able to get to it for a few weeks because it's out of town but will be camping there in a few weeks so could pick it up...but they haven't replied to me yet either and thy want $400 for a used 1.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Saw horses :D

a little back-country-hickish, but hey! Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

They don't make stayin fit cheap!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Yeah I just used the little rack that came with my weight bench for bench presses. It was tall enough to get under it.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    build your own or learn to power clean and push press a good amount of weight -- i dont use a spotter - I back bail on squats
  • JNick77
    Options
    I just looked up the goblet squats and may try those...if anything for a good warm up. I think I'm just going to invest in a squat rack of some sort. They would also help with the start off position for the overhead press when I start to get up there in weight.

Dandur, I actually just emailed that company this morning to inquire about a rack and shipping. Hoping they get back to me today. I also saw a used 1 for sale but wouldn't be able to get to it for a few weeks because it's out of town but will be camping there in a few weeks so could pick it up...but they haven't replied to me yet either and thy want $400 for a used 1.

A squat rack is an invaluable tool. I've always said that the only thing I need in a gym is a full rack with adjustable pegs, one or two barbells, weight plates, and some DB's. If you're serious about doing this, you definitely need a rack. I would recommend not getting a rack where the uprights are angled but rather just straight-up-and-down. Reason being is that when you squat, especially when it gets heavier, you don't need to take so many steps back away from the rack to squat; it expends unnecessary energy and opens up room for injury. Rather, setup at the bar and take enough of a step back to clear the j-pegs.
  • JNick77
    Options
    build your own or learn to power clean and push press a good amount of weight -- i dont use a spotter - I back bail on squats

No offense, don't listen to this especially if you want to progress on the squat. I can squat 365 and there's no way I can clean and press that though I can clean and press 215. Sorry; really bad recommendation.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I gave up on SL 5 x 5 for this exact reason. I work out at a gym that doesn't have a squat rack.
    I did see somewhere on the net on how to attached home made racks - I'd google if I was you.

shakes head...what kind of a gym does not have a squat rack..

OP - is joining a gym an option? I hear ymca monthly rates are not that bad..

Planet Fitness doesn't have a squat rack unless you consider Smith machines. (I don't) I switched gyms.
  • SlimFrederic
    Options
    This could be an alternative:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24PeqytTtq4
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I just have a little rack, not a big safety rack. That works fine for me. It's adjustable and I use it to bench, too. It's similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/TDS-C-93132-W-Squat-Rack/dp/B001HS3KI8. You could probably get one for cheaper (I didn't do an extensive search to find a pic), and Craig's List or classifieds might have something for really cheap. Otherwise, how would you get the weight on your back, I can't lift the weight I can squat over my head at all.

This would be my suggestion. It's amazing what you can find used.
  • fruitloop2
    Options

A squat rack is an invaluable tool. I've always said that the only thing I need in a gym is a full rack with adjustable pegs, one or two barbells, weight plates, and some DB's. If you're serious about doing this, you definitely need a rack. I would recommend not getting a rack where the uprights are angled but rather just straight-up-and-down. Reason being is that when you squat, especially when it gets heavier, you don't need to take so many steps back away from the rack to squat; it expends unnecessary energy and opens up room for injury. Rather, setup at the bar and take enough of a step back to clear the j-pegs.

That's good to know. The one I was looking at was an angled one.
  • fruitloop2
    Options

No offense, don't listen to this especially if you want to progress on the squat. I can squat 365 and there's no way I can clean and press that though I can clean and press 215. Sorry; really bad recommendation.

I'm not 100% sure exactly what that is. I think I know but I'm going to look it up. I just did 75lb on Monday and I'm suppose to move up to 80 for today. I know that's not a lot of weight yet but it is for me as a beginner.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Try some wall squats and some 1 legged squats.
  • JNick77
    Options

That's good to know. The one I was looking at was an angled one.

There are plenty of people that can squat fine so if you find one that suits you that's fine. I just know for me the pegs on those are fixed and generally don't fit me quite right and I have to step back further than I care to, which sucks with heavy singles and even heavy triples.
  • JNick77
    Options

I'm not 100% sure exactly what that is. I think I know but I'm going to look it up. I just did 75lb on Monday and I'm suppose to move up to 80 for today. I know that's not a lot of weight yet but it is for me as a beginner.

It sounds like she has bumper plates available to her. It sounds like she does a power clean with the weight, presses it over hear head, and then puts it across her back to squat. Then drops it off her back when she's done. First, that only works when the weight is light. As you progress it's simply not possible because your squat weight will far exceed your clean weight. Second, it's not optimal for setting up your stance and form. Your stance and setup for the squat should be setup when the bar is racked. Basically you walk up to the bar and get under the bar in position to squat, not after the bar is out. The video "So You Think You Can Squat" is a great demonstration on how to setup to a proper squat in a rack. Granted they use a monolift in the video so there is no backward movement out of the rack but the setup is still correct.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar position. I do front squats, which I know are not as good, but I feel they've got to be better than nothing. At the moment, I can't do nearly as much weight with the front squats as I could do with back squats, so I just clean the bar to get it up there. I don't know if cleaning it might be a problem if I do manage to progress.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options

It sounds like she has bumper plates available to her. It sounds like she does a power clean with the weight, presses it over hear head, and then puts it across her back to squat. Then drops it off her back when she's done. First, that only works when the weight is light. As you progress it's simply not possible because your squat weight will far exceed your clean weight. Second, it's not optimal for setting up your stance and form. Your stance and setup for the squat should be setup when the bar is racked. Basically you walk up to the bar and get under the bar in position to squat, not after the bar is out. The video "So You Think You Can Squat" is a great demonstration on how to setup to a proper squat in a rack. Granted they use a monolift in the video so there is no backward movement out of the rack but the setup is still correct.

Clearly she is not back squatting 365 pounds. But there's nothing wrong with overall improvement on all lift accounts. A lot of people continue to build weight in areas they are already good at and leave their other lifts to the way-side. She is still at light weight so try to clean and press to a back squat is not a terrible idea if she doesn't have the equipment yet.

However strongly agree with the person above me, but for light weight...use what you can to start...or do squats with KBs in hand instead or DBs
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Put a bench behind you that you let your butt touch (giving you indication on how far to come down too) this way, if you fail you'll be able to sit on it, not injuring yourself.. You can either then drop the weight, or attempt to get back up :)