I got a question :400 cal only last me 3 hours

Options
It was recommended to me more than once in my life time that I should only have 400 cal/ meal. My question is, how come it seems to only last me 3 hours and I start feeling shaky. I was informed that my job as a "nurse" is one of the factor, that nurses sits down alot; which I dont think so, at least for me, I work in the floor, i do alot of walking and walking. On a regular day, the only time I have a chance to sit is use the bathroom, eat, talk on the phone. In some ways I think that 400 cal is not right.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You probably get tired because you should eat every 2-3 hours. I eat 3 small meals and 4-5 snacks per day. I eat at 6:30 am, 9:00 am, 11:00 am, 1:00 pm, 3:00 pm, 4:30, 6:00 pm and a snack around 8:30, I never have low energy and am never stuffed yet never starving. Sometimes I skip the 4:30 snack.
  • drp121274
    drp121274 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat at 8am, 10am, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm and a snack about 8:30pm... then only time I get hungry really is before my 3pm snack....
  • viliberty1957
    viliberty1957 Posts: 194
    Options
    It may depend a lot on what the calories are from. All calories are not created equal. You may want to experiment and see what keeps you satisfied. For instance a 400 calorie candy bar will give you a blood sugar high, then a low, then hungry. The low is what makes a person feel shaky. Also a little fat with each meal (preferably good fat) will slow down digestion and keep you full longer. Good fats include olive oil, peanuts, olives, cashews, etc. But just a little!