help!

LilMissAngi
LilMissAngi Posts: 127
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Every time I go running, my shin bones hurt. Its gets to the point to where I cant run for very long!

any ideas what it could be?

I drink at least 8 8oz of water a day. and I haven't had anything but water all week.

I want to run but it kind of scares me. They shouldn't hurt or anything.

Replies

• Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    I'd say it's your runners, and form ...

Good runners are ESSENTIAL to not getting shin splints, and not running flat footed... If your serious about getting into running, maybe there is a running clinic in your area? They'll be good at perfecting your form ...

I go to the running room, they measure my arch, get me to run on a treadmill to see if I run on the ouside of my feet, inside, flat etc. and give me a section in the store with runners specialized for my type ...
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Most likely it's your shoes. If you can spend the extra $$ to get a custom fit shoe from a running store that would be the best way to go (about $100). Or if not, when looking for a shoe look for one that doesn't twist or bend easily. (instructions per my Dr.) Getting good shoes will help, but only after you let your shins heal fully. GL! :smile:
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Most likely it's your shoes. If you can spend the extra $$ to get a custom fit shoe from a running store that would be the best way to go (about $100). Or if not, when looking for a shoe look for one that doesn't twist or bend easily. (instructions per my Dr.) Getting good shoes will help, but only after you let your shins heal fully. GL! :smile:

To save yourself the pain and frustration I would definately agree that going to a runners store, and getting properly fitted would be the way to go.
  • CMomma23
    CMomma23 Posts: 132 Member
    I had this same problem.. I'm flat footed... I went to the doctor and this is what he told me...

A.) Get shoes with a good supporting arch

&

B.) Don't run on concrete. It will cause Shin Splints. If anything run on a turf track. I started running at the local high school track (after school hours, of course) and it solved the problem :)
  • LilMissAngi
    LilMissAngi Posts: 127
    thanks guys!
This discussion has been closed.