Fats - what do I do wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    As long as you eat enough protein (ideally 1g per pound of lean body mass but 1g per kg of body weight is acceptable) being over on fat is fine. Fats and protein should be viewed as minimum values so it's fine to go over. Carbs are unnecessary so you don't have to worry about eating enough. Some people do low carb, some people find their exercise suffers if they keep carbs to low, do what works for you.

For information of setting your macro target, go here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Assuming you
    a) have an adequate level of protein (1g per lb of lean body mass as a minimum); and
    b) are under your calorie goal for the day.

Then it shouldn't affect fat loss. I think I am right in saying that the thermic effect of carbs and fats, while slightly different, is insignificant to hurt fat loss.

Have a read of http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/is-a-calorie-a-calorie.html
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Besides I try to limit fats as much as possible

May I ask why?

If anything you are better of ensuring you keep your fat intake at a reasonable level and swapping carbs out for it. Not saying you have to go low carb or anything but most decent fat loss diets put protein and fat levels before carbs (particularly of the refined variety ;)

I don't think that my carbs are high something like 120-160 depends on the day.. even I if I stay at the 20-25% fats I still go 1/3 over

The numbers I usually see recommended are:
    Minimum 0.7-1.0g/lb LBM for protein (the higher end if you're lifting heavy). My personal range is 0.8-1.0 and I do lift heavy.
    Minimum 0.35g/lb body mass fats
    Minimum carb based on experience

Make up the rest of your cals as you wish.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    Hi guys!

So I have this problem that almost everyday (not to say absolutely everyday) I go over my fat goal with around 10-15 grams!!!! For me that is OMG way too much. However my eating is relatively clean. My fats come from things like flax seeds, walnuts, olive oil 1-2(max) tsp a day, protein bars. I know that those are not "bad fats" but still.

Any suggestions?
    Does any of you have the same problem?

Thanks!

We have almost the same macros and I keep going over on my fats too. I'm having trouble meeting my carb goal without going over on my fat goal. For me, it's a matter of adding more fruits.. veggies and brown rice or potatoes.
    While fats don't make you fatter, we all have different goals.. we aren't all on the adkins diet. It's okay to limit fats... 20% is still a healthy amount of fat.