Eating enough to lose weight?

Options
I am a 49 yr old male, 5'9" 280 lbs, trying to lose weight.
I carry my weight in my belly and upper body. My build is a 42" waist and a xl-xxl shirt.

I lost some weight awhile back on a 5 meal a day, clean eating, program but the program eventually hit a wall and stopped.
This program had me eating 40 grams of protein and 31 grams of carbs per meal, 5X a day.

I did Nutri-system for 17 days with no loss and felt very weak and tired all the time.

I run construction crew and I am extremely active doing physical labor all day. I am currently doing 2000-2200 calories a day and my weight is not moving. I am eating very healthy and can not understand why my body is holding on to the weight.

After working all day my clothes always feel tighter and I feel bloated, even after I have not eaten.

My only vice is I may go out once on a weekend to dinner with friends and have a typical restaurant meal.

Two years ago I had a thorough hormone testing and all was normal.

I have to be missing something?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• msmirandakate
    msmirandakate Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    have you tried cutting out wheat? i had the very same problem and cut out wheat and started to lose weight, not to mention feeling fantastic
    only problem is, now i have cut it out, i actually feel gross when i eat it. (traces dont matter, but i cant eat bread anymore)
    dairy may also be a problem too. gluten and dairy intolerance seem to go hand in hand (mostly)
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    You don't need 5 meal diets or Nutri-System programs. I urge to never pay for anything like that again.

Are you overestimating/underestimating your daily calorie burn/consumption?
    Define 'extremely active' - what exactly are you doing?
    Any particular cardio or strength training?
    Water intake?
  • Toddahlie
    Toddahlie Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Mmmm in you case, I think that the better solution is go to a nutritionist because you need a plan!
  • vcinri
    vcinri Posts: 9
    Options
    I own a construction company which does heavy construction, roads, commercial and industrial site preparation. I work in the field with the crew.

We install underground utilities, all related earth work. This involves shoveling, mixing concrete, heavy lifting, loading/unloading, carrying materials in and out of trenches,

We are currently on a 10 acre site which I walk around all day long as well as the physical labor.

To sum it up, I am pretty much non stop from 7:00-3:30.

Typical day nutrition.
    6:00 am
    1 whole egg with 1/2c. eggbeaters, mixed vegetable omelet. 1 c. cheerios with unsweetened almond milk.
    9:00am
    3 oz ground turkey patty.(no Bread) 1 grapefruit or banana
    12:00 pm
    3 oz. low salt ham, 1 slice am. cheese sandwich on two slices Ezekial sesame bread. Let, tomato, mustard.
    3:00 1/2 cup 2% cottage cheese, mixed with grapes, melon, strawberries.
    5:30 Chicken or steak 5 Oz portion, baked potato, salad. whatever the wife prepares. always healthy, No butter, fats etc..

I am totally confused with this.

I do not now to eat more or eat less.

Thanks,
  • rmtuesley
    rmtuesley Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Search the posts on TDEE and the roadmap. It calculates how much your body needs based on your exercise. The TDEE calculator says you should eat 3000 calories to lose weight with just 3-5 hours a week of strenuous exercise. Sounds like you get way more than that. I am a 5'3 149 pound female losing weight on 1800 -1900 a day. I didn't believe it until I tried it. After plateauing for months, I started losing again. It seems crazy but I was getting frustrated and figured out it couldn't hurt to try it. Glad I did! Maybe someone on a computer can post some of these links for you.