Short Workout vs Long Workout

Options
Which is best?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Both. You should mix it up and keep your body guessing. You can do short but intense workouts, long and steady workouts, long workouts with high intensity bursts. And you should do a combination of weights and cardio.
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I go with what I have time for. I know I feel better after a longer work out...
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Short intense workouts. It's proved.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    What you have time for.

Resistance is often better, so if I'm crunched for time (or just don't feel like working out for long), I jack up the incline on the treadmill or add heavier weights.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Jillian Michaels no more trouble zones and I have never done weights before so I can manage half the video for now so for me short workouts leading up to doing the whole tape as I get stronger. Do what your body allows you to do. I just don't want to overdo it cause then that would mean I would dread it
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Short intense workout. Unless you are training for a marathon (running for hours...etc).
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    its kinda 6 and 2 3s
    some people say that HIIT is excellent for fat burn
    and some people say that long but low intensity is good for fat burn (like slow jogging for 45 mins)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Depends what your goal is!!
  • rabies
    rabies Posts: 62
    Options
    The kind that you can keep doing over and over.

It doesn't matter what you do, as long as you can keep doing it. Doing high intensity intervals works for some, while other can't take it for more than a few days, while slow 10k runs every day work for some, but not for others.

Make sure you get your pulse up for at least 30 minutes each day and keep doing it. Debating which is best for fat loss is pointless.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options

I don't think you understand what the word "proved" means (or the way in which English grammar works). Things like this can't be proved (or proven). It depends what your goals are for starters and even knowing those it's not possible to prove anything, you can collect evidence to support your hypothesis but that's about it. Why do you think fitness trends come and go...
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options

I don't think you understand what the word "proved" means (or the way in which English grammar works). Things like this can't be proved (or proven). It depends what your goals are for starters and even knowing those it's not possible to prove anything, you can collect evidence to support your hypothesis but that's about it. Why do you think fitness trends come and go...

he's referring to a recent pbs show that examined the idea that we could do HiiT. the real kind, for 3 mins a week for the cardiovascular benefits of exercise.
  • rabies
    rabies Posts: 62
    Options
    3 minutes a week? Wasn't the regimen for 20 minutes of 8/12 sec intervals a day?
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options

he's referring to a recent pbs show that examined the idea that we could do HiiT. the real kind, for 3 mins a week for the cardiovascular benefits of exercise.

It was originally a UK documentary but can be seen on

http://m.video.pbs.org/video/2364989581/

By the way- is PBS an American TV Chanel ( I'm from the UK)