Bit frustrated

Options
So, I've started eating a bit healthier and trying to keep within my calories. I started running 1 mile at the beginning of the month about 3-4 days a week and 30DS (Level 1, Day 8 today). It's only been about two weeks but I don't see much of a difference! My endurance is better but body weight/inches wise not much, I feel like I should be seeing more progress. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Do I need to exercise more? Okay, the only difference I've seen is that my calf muscles are much more defined and grown a bit, but they have a tendency to grow easily due to genetics. Shouldn't I be losing more weight faster because I'm heavier? Thank you

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's only been about two weeks

this!

keep at it!
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    It's only been about two weeks

Yup, thread over.

Good luck, lady. Keep at it, you'll do great if you're consistent.
  • Unaisha8
    Unaisha8 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Keep up the hard work. You should include strength training with cardio. Tae Bo cardio by Billy Blanks is the best way to lose weight and tone up. You can find his videos on youtube.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Well in 2 weeks it's not unreasonable to expect some weight loss, even if its just water weight. You say you're eating a "bit healthier", does this mean you're eating at a deficit?

ETA: your profile says you've lost almost 5lbs in the last month, so you're doing something right! Keep at it!
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Losing weight and working towards a healthier lifestyle is a process. It will take time to lose the weight. Patience is an absolute necessity. I would recommend taking measurements and photos to track your progress. We see ourselves in the mirror every day, so it is sometimes difficult to see the progress we are truly making. Being able to see the difference in the measurements and progress photos helps a lot, and is often a better indicator of how well you are doing than the scale.

A couple of things you'll want to note is that it takes your body time to adjust to a change in your diet and exercise routine. Your body will tend to hold onto water to help your muscles recover from your workouts. Also, track your sodium intake, as too much sodium can cause water retention. Drink lots of water and try to include lots of vegetables, fruits, and lean proteins in your diet.

This process will include a lot of ups and downs and there will be some weeks where you'll lose a lot and other weeks where you won't lose anything. Be patient, be committed, and you'll get there!
  • AshleighTB
    AshleighTB Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I used to eat out all the time (large portions) and whatever I want because I'm in college and that's what my friends did but I kept gaining so much weight! So now I track everything I eat and try to eat more vegetables and lean meats but it's still very difficult because my friends like to eat out a lot.

Can I do weight training at home with my body weight? I don't have a lot of time to actually go to gym with my courses and work? I care about the scale but more about my actually fitness and inches more than anything!
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I used to eat out all the time (large portions) and whatever I want because I'm in college and that's what my friends did but I kept gaining so much weight! So now I track everything I eat and try to eat more vegetables and lean meats but it's still very difficult because my friends like to eat out a lot.

Can I do weight training at home with my body weight? I don't have a lot of time to actually go to gym with my courses and work? I care about the scale but more about my actually fitness and inches more than anything!

It's not ideal, but you can definitely still eat at restaurants without hindering your weight loss efforts. A number of restaurants post nutritional info on their websites, especially the major chain restaurants. They aren't necessarily 100% accurate, but they give you a better idea of what you are consuming. Research the menus and plan your meals before you get to the restaurant. Have a few choices in mind, in the event that the menu has changed. This should help you stay on track. Restaurant food is typically really high in sodium, so don't be alarmed if your weight fluctuates after eating at a restaurant. The fluctuation will most likely be temporary. Just drink tons of water the next couple of days and the water weight should come off quickly.

If you are able to do so, I would recommend picking up some weights for use at home. They are reasonably priced at Target (under $20 for 2 weights, depending on size). I have pairs of weights in a few different sizes for use at home. I don't belong to a gym, so I have lost all of my weight doing workouts at home. It also might be a good idea to pick up a fitness video - Jillian Michaels' 30-day shred is a popular one to have around, too. There are also a lot of exercise videos on Youtube. You can do things like jumping jacks, push ups, crunches, lunges, and planks at home without any equipment.

Also, walking as much as you can helps! If time allows, take the long way when walking to and from class. Take the stairs whenever possible. It is absolutely possible for you to make this lifestyle change and lose weight without stepping foot into a gym! Good luck! :)
  • dewdrop0522
    Options
    I went through almost the SAME thing last year. I was working out steadily 4-5 times a week, running, strength training, eating well for months and there was little to no physical evidence. Keep at it. I finally started noticing a change in my body in December when I upped my weights. I read somewhere that if you increase your weights by 5-10 pounds from what you're currently doing, you'll notice a difference faster.

Don't lose hope! You will get past this hump. Sometimes, depending on your body type, it takes longer for your body to kick into weight loss gear (which when it comes to survival, that's a great thing... however not so great in first world societies). Be patient, keep pushing your body and keep up with those good habits.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Doesn't your school have a gym on campus? Most Universities do, and it's included in your tuition. I strongly suggest you take advantage of this and MAKE time. If you have time to go out to restaurants with your friends, you've got time to go hit the weights.

On your questions, as others have said it's only been 2 weeks. Give it time, continue to eat at a calorie deficit, and you will see results.