my hair sucks!

Options
Dfracassa
Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
Last month I got my hair redone with ombre, and I love the colors. But I've noticed that it looks like absolute crap these days, and I can't entirely figure out why. I do know that I'm doing some things that a lot of people tell me not to do (washing it every day, for example) but until the past year or two, and in particular the past month, it's been all right. The bleached parts -- I understand that they'll be more sensitive and tangled, sure. But all my hair, all the way down to my butt (which is how long it is) is dry, greasy, frizzy, and dull. It defies logic. I've recently switched back to a product called It's A 10, that I used last year, and used to love. I haven't noticed that it's doing anything nice for my hair this time around, though, and that pisses me off, because it's like $22 a bottle. Anyway, here's my routine: shampoo and conditioner with It's A 10, comb out and apply L'oreal anti-frizz serum, comb through, apply Moroccan Oil to blonde ends, comb through. I work out every night and sweat from my head, so I need to wash it in the morning. Any ideas? Also, dry shampoo blows. I don't know what the big deal is, but that crap has never done anything for me.

Replies

• ashb811
    ashb811 Posts: 17
    Options
    I use coconut oil as a deep conditioner (olive oil works too) like once a week (my hair is really fine so anymore than that would be too heavy) I just put it on the ends, braid it and leave it in over night while I sleep then wash it out in the morning it ususally helps make it softer and healthier looking/feeling. You could also try taking biotin to help make it shiny.

Edited for spelling error, sorry!
  • Einahhh
    Einahhh Posts: 139
    Options
    Maybe try a deep conditioner for your hair once a week or so to get rid of the dryness. And I know what you mean about dry shampoo - most of them suck, but from personal experience, Batiste dry shampoo is the only stuff that works.

Maybe try switching up your shampoos and conditioners if they're not working for you any more. Also, I tend to have oily roots and dry ends, so when I wash my hair I shampoo focusing on the roots and then only condition the ends (my hair is long too). Try not to apply too much product to prevent greasiness, too. When I use my serum I only apply it to the ends as well.

And then I guess just try avoiding damaging things to your hair i.e. bad hairties, straightening/curling/blowdrying without heat protectant etc
  • JessyBevy
    JessyBevy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair every 3 days - i have color treated hair - RED, so it fades really quickly. I use baby powder on my roots in between shampoos. Also make sure you use a sufate-free and paraban-free shampoo. I wouldn't use any "volumizing" shampoos because the ingredients that "volumize" your hair also damage it (creating the illusion of volume). I use a heat protectant on my wet hair after i wash it - then blow dry - then apply a smoothing anti-frizz serum - then a shine spray. Seems to work for me. Just my 2 cents!
  • Dfracassa
    Options
    Thanks, all! I just want it to be shiny and smooth...is that so much to ask?! I'll try the masks/treatments, for sure.
  • SILVERWOLF93
    SILVERWOLF93 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    well talking to my beautician. she said that washing my hair everyday isn't hurting it. I use matrix shampoo and conditioner. I do concentrate the shampoo on my scalp and the conditioner on the ends so my hair doesn't look greasy right away. I also got some redikin leave in protein for the ends. i was told only put it in from the ears down after i wash my hair, it protects the ends from heat. I stopped bleaching my hair a little over a year ago. when i was taking a swimming class i did get some special stuff to get the chlorine out of my hair it was a once a week use. with summer coming figured id mention that they have them out there since alot of people go in pools.

other than that i beat my hair to crap and do nothing special.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I do put some balsm(sp?) on my hair after I'm done washing my hair. It puts some shine on my blonde hair.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Last month I got my hair redone with ombre, and I love the colors. But I've noticed that it looks like absolute crap these days, and I can't entirely figure out why. I do know that I'm doing some things that a lot of people tell me not to do (washing it every day, for example) but until the past year or two, and in particular the past month, it's been all right. The bleached parts -- I understand that they'll be more sensitive and tangled, sure. But all my hair, all the way down to my butt (which is how long it is) is dry, greasy, frizzy, and dull. It defies logic. I've recently switched back to a product called It's A 10, that I used last year, and used to love. I haven't noticed that it's doing anything nice for my hair this time around, though, and that pisses me off, because it's like $22 a bottle. Anyway, here's my routine: shampoo and conditioner with It's A 10, comb out and apply L'oreal anti-frizz serum, comb through, apply Moroccan Oil to blonde ends, comb through. I work out every night and sweat from my head, so I need to wash it in the morning. Any ideas? Also, dry shampoo blows. I don't know what the big deal is, but that crap has never done anything for me.

You might be eating too little. When I ate an average of 1300-1400 calories, my hair and nails started to fall apart, even though I was eating clean, healthy food. Now that I upped my calories to TDEE or slightly below, hair and nails are getting healthy again. I'm not sure how many calories you average, but this might be something to consider. http://www.jennifersygo.com/pdf/DangerUnderEatingUpdate.pdf
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Try using shampoos and conditioners that don't contain harsh chemicals (parabens etc). I use Natures Gate http://natures-gate.com/
    all of their products are organic, cruelty free and smell amazing. My hair is dyed very dark but this range keeps it shiny and smooth.
  • Dfracassa
    Options

You might be eating too little. When I ate an average of 1300-1400 calories, my hair and nails started to fall apart, even though I was eating clean, healthy food. Now that I upped my calories to TDEE or slightly below, hair and nails are getting healthy again. I'm not sure how many calories you average, but this might be something to consider. http://www.jennifersygo.com/pdf/DangerUnderEatingUpdate.pdf

I try to get 1800 a day, and I take 10,000 mcg. of Biotin every night, so I know it's not those. My hair tends to get like this every winter, and usually I can fix it by using Paul Mitchell Awapuhi shampoo for a week, but this past winter, it didn't work -- and now it's spring, and the same crap is happening!
  • Dfracassa
    Options
    I do put some balsm(sp?) on my hair after I'm done washing my hair. It puts some shine on my blonde hair.

Is your hair bleached? I really hoped the Morrocan Oil would help, but it doesn't seem to. And leave-in conditioners make my hair greasy and heavy.
  • Dfracassa
    Options
    I read on here -- somewhere -- a while ago someone suggesting only using coniditioner on her hair, for like 4-5 days a week. I started doing that, and I don't really notice a difference, but it's only been a couple weeks. Plus, since my hair is so crazy long, conditioner goes really fast and is always more expensive than shampoo. Leave-in conditioning products make my hair greasy and heavy, so they're out. Does anyone else do that? Only use conditioner for a few days at a time?
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Your hair is down to your bum and you're wondering what the problem is?

My advice is less product and shorter hair.
  • Dfracassa
    Options

I like my long hair. I put it in a big, thick, long braid and all the colors swirl and it looks pretty. It doesn't get in the way of my exercising, and my fiance really likes it, too. So thanks, but I'm keeping it long.
  • Dfracassa
    Options
    I agree with Dani! sometimes no matter how much you love your long hair, if it starts acting like that it's time for some of it to go. no amount of serums or product are actually going to fix your problem. it will cause breakage and more damage in the long run, plus coating your hair with goop that never fully washes out.

FTR - I just looked at your profile pics, and I don't know how old the pics from the shooting range are but you do need some good clean up work done on your hair. I'm not talking anything drastic, but I can tell from those pics that your ends are not even and it looks like you have breakage issues. both my grandmother's were beauticians, and one of my closest friends is too, so I'm not just spouting off. your hair will continue to grow, but taking off 3-5 inches will make it much nicer looking, and still long enough to braid

I got it cut last month, and then got the ombre redone, so I might need another trim. But I am definitely not exaggerating when I say it just started pulling this crap on me in the past few months. I don't mind getting an inch or so taken off, but yeah, that's it.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I got it cut last month, and then got the ombre redone, so I might need another trim. But I am definitely not exaggerating when I say it just started pulling this crap on me in the past few months. I don't mind getting an inch or so taken off, but yeah, that's it.

Looking at your pictures, it's quite dead. 1 inch is not likely to make a difference. Would you rather super long dead hair or semi long healthy hair?
  • Dfracassa
    Options

Looking at your pictures, it's quite dead. 1 inch is not likely to make a difference. Would you rather super long dead hair or semi long healthy hair?

Unfortunately, all those photos are pretty old (like 2011 and mid 2012), except the two from our engagement shots. I guess getting another trim won't be too bad.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

I like my long hair. I put it in a big, thick, long braid and all the colors swirl and it looks pretty. It doesn't get in the way of my exercising, and my fiance really likes it, too. So thanks, but I'm keeping it long.

My hair is very long too, and I color mine. I am as gentle as I can be with it, but eventually the coloring and just everyday wear and tear gets the best of it. My hair started to tangle like crazy, worse than usual, and just didn't feel the same. No deep conditioner was helping.

I was very resistant to cutting it because I love it long. Finally I got 5 inches chopped off, which got rid of the driest part, and it looks and feels so much better. I wanted to keep it waist-length, but I didn't see the point to super long hair that looked like crap.

I started using L'Oreal Total Repair Damage Erasing Balm every few days, and that has helped a lot with the tangles. I have a ton of conditioners in my shower! Another good one (but much more expensive) is Joico K-Pac Reconstructor. I got a trial size at Ulta and loved it so much I went back for the full size bottle (on sale, with a coupon!)
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Garnier 3 minute undo is marvelous!! I use it once per week. It adds tons of shine and totally reverses dryness. My hair was so damaged when I first started that the first 2 weeks it took 2 x per week.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I use:

Natural shampoos and conditioners. This is the BEST one I have found so far. https://www.desertessence.com/store/coconut-shampoo

A deep conditioning oil treatment once or twice a week. I mix one part coconut oil with one part olive oil with a few drops of rosemary essential oil, work through hair, cover, and sit for 2-3 hours then shampoo and condition as normal.

Also, I use olive oil on my ends after every shower and when it gets frizzy.

My hair is great since following this routine.