Glucose readings after exercising?

Options
sandara
sandara Posts: 830 Member
My glucose readings have been running anywhere from 89 to 130 in the afternoons when I get home from work. I checked it today after I exercised and it was 204? I haven't eaten anything since lunchtime so it couldn't be that. One other time I took it after exercising and it was in the 180's. I thought glucose readings would drop after exercising? I'm type 2 and only taking metformin. Does anyone else get high readings after exercising?

Replies

• ColoradoGirl
    ColoradoGirl Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    My son has type 1 and my husband has type 2 diabetes. With the education I have received blood sugars are normally lowered with exercise.
    However, did you test before you exercised?
    Is it possible that your blood sugars were higher to begin with?
    Did you eat more carbs today than you normally do?
    Had you eaten within a couple hours before you exercised?
    Are you getting sick?
    Did you retest to make sure it was not a false test?
    Is it a problem with your testing kit, supplies?

All of the above could be affecting the reading

Hope this helps!
  • sandara
    Options
    Thanks ColoradoGirl, I didn't test before I exercised but I certainly will tomorrow. Haven't eaten many carbs today so I don't think that's it. It had been at least 4 hours since I'd eaten anything. I did retest but was in the same range. It would be a good idea to test my machine. I hadn't thought of that!

Thanks for your help! :smile:
  • EdgeChic
    EdgeChic Posts: 75
    Options
    I was gestational diabetic with both my daughters and the way it was explained to me was sometimes when you wait too long to eat your liver will start producing more sugar and that might be why your levels were so high.

My levels were always the highest after I woke up from sleeping and had not eaten for a while, so I found if I ate a snack in the middle of the night my sugars were great at my morning reading.

I agree with the previous person though about maybe having your meter checked.

Good luck!
  • sandara
    Options
    Thanks, I'll have to see if I can find out more about that. Maybe I'll call the dietician that I saw a couple of months ago. Maybe she can tell me more.