Is eating 4% below BMR really that bad?

Options
CM9178
CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
So I constantly hear that it is bad to eat below BMR - but some say it is ok.

My activity level right now is sedentary. I have 41 lbs to lose til goal.

My BMR is 1547.
My TDEE is 1856.

TDEE - 20 % = 1484 - this is 63 calories below BMR and about 4%.
I'd like to just set my daily calorie goal at 1484, is this still considered an awful thing to do, and if so, why?

Yes, I could eat at a lower deficit - but with it being so close - I'm curious if it even matters right now.

Replies

• Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too because I discovered today that I was doing the same thing unintentionally.
  • CM9178
    Options
    I'm curious about this too because I discovered today that I was doing the same thing unintentionally.
    I didn't know anything about TDEE and BMR when I first started - and lost 40 lbs. Now I want to do it correctly.
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I say just set it to 1500 and be done with it. I like nice even numbers!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    No. 1484 is a perfectly appropriate calorie goal for you.

However, you should not find yourself actually eating that many calories often. 1856 is your *sedentary* TDEE, so you need to add exercise calories on top of that. If you spend half an hour on the treadmill, your TDEE for that day will be morelike 2156. This means you'll have to eat about 1784 calories that day.

IMO you should set your calorie goal in MFP to 1484 and add exercise calories. If you find yourself eating fewer than 1547 calories often, it means you need to start getting a little more exercise. The fact that 1484 is below 1547 is completely irrelevant.
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I didn't know anything about TDEE and BMR when I first started - and lost 40 lbs. Now I want to do it correctly.

I'm with you on that. My BMR is around 1777 (according to MFP) and the goal it set was 1720. I bumped it to 1900 just to be safe.

@Bonny619, 1500 would still be below her BMR. I think the concern is if being just a little below BMR consistently is ok.
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I understand that it's still below her BMR and I feel it's ok. :) But I wouldn't go below that. And like Jon said, add some more cals on higher exercise days.
  • CM9178
    Options

However, you should not find yourself actually eating that many calories often. 1856 is your *sedentary* TDEE, so you need to add exercise calories on top of that. If you spend half an hour on the treadmill, your TDEE for that day will be morelike 2156. This means you'll have to eat about 1784 calories that day.

IMO you should set your calorie goal in MFP to 1484 and add exercise calories. If you find yourself eating fewer than 1547 calories often, it means you need to start getting a little more exercise. The fact that 1484 is below 1547 is completely irrelevant.

My activity level is sedentary right now, as I stated above. I am not exercising at this time - so I would be eating 1484 every single day. (or average for the week).
    So is that a problem then?

Also, in your example, if I ate 1784 and then burned 300 calories exercising, I'd still only be netting 1484 anyway. So how is that any different?
  • jonnythan
    Options

My activity level is sedentary right now, as I stated above. I am not exercising at this time - so I would be eating 1484 every single day. (or average for the week).

I don't recommend trying to lose weight while living a completely sedentary lifestyle. If you simply can't exercise for some reason, IMO it's better to try to maintain your weight, or lose very slowly (TDEE-10% or so).
  • CM9178
    Options

I don't recommend trying to lose weight while living a completely sedentary lifestyle. If you simply can't exercise for some reason, IMO it's better to try to maintain your weight, or lose very slowly (TDEE-10% or so).
    And what exactly is the reason for that? You don't have to exercise to aid in weight loss, it just prevents muscle loss.
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly! I am not exercising either yet and I wonder the same thing. I am eating at about 1538 according to my TDEE. I was just about to post and ask if there was anyone NOT exercising and sticking to their TDEE.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Also, in your example, if I ate 1784 and then burned 300 calories exercising, I'd still only be netting 1484 anyway. So how is that any different?

The difference is the fact that you're exercising. Exercise precipitates a whole host of hormonal responses and changes that push your body to maintain muscle mass and metabolism. This helps maintain metabolism and circulatory health.

If you do no exercise while losing weight, your metabolism slows rather dramatically, you lose a lot more muscle mass, etc.

Netting 1480 calories while exercising regularly is very different from netting 1480 while not exercising.
  • CM9178
    Options

My thoughts exactly! I am not exercising either yet and I wonder the same thing. I am eating at about 1538 according to my TDEE. I was just about to post and ask if there was anyone NOT exercising and sticking to their TDEE.
    Wow, so we are very similar then. Is 1538 your TDEE - 20%?
    What is your BMR?
  • CM9178
    Options

The difference is the fact that you're exercising. Exercise precipitates a whole host of hormonal responses and changes that push your body to maintain muscle mass and metabolism. This helps maintain metabolism and circulatory health.

If you do no exercise while losing weight, your metabolism slows rather dramatically, you lose a lot more muscle mass, etc.

Netting 1480 calories while exercising regularly is very different from netting 1480 while not exercising.
    So then are you saying, if you aren't exercising, it isn't ok to eat below BMR, even if it is only 4% below?
    And it is ok, if you are exercising?
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

And what exactly is the reason for that? You don't have to exercise to aid in weight loss, it just prevents muscle loss.

it just prevents muscle loss? ohhhh, that's it? This makes it sound like you are far more concerned with the number on the scale rather than if you are losing fat or muscle. plus, do you lay around on a couch all day long? very few people are truly sedentary.
  • CM9178
    Options

it just prevents muscle loss? ohhhh, that's it? This makes it sound like you are far more concerned with the number on the scale rather than if you are losing fat or muscle. plus, do you lay around on a couch all day long? very few people are truly sedentary.
    Well it is the truth. Exercise is not required in order to lose weight. I never said you shouldn't exercise. And I also never said why I'm not exercising.
    And yes, I am currently probably about 95% sedentary.
  • jonnythan
    Options

So then are you saying, if you aren't exercising, it isn't ok to eat below BMR, even if it is only 4% below?

I'm saying that it's not good, IMO, to eat a significant calorie deficit if you are not exercising.

Whether you're eating above or below BMR is irrelevant. There's nothing magic about the BMR number as compared to your calorie intake.

It's OK to eat a significant calorie deficit if you exercise regularly. It's not OK to eat a significant calorie deficit if you never exercise.

Does that make sense?
  • jonnythan
    Options

Well it is the truth. Exercise is not required in order to lose weight. I never said you shouldn't exercise. And I also never said why I'm not exercising.

Get some exercise.
  • CM9178
    Options

I'm saying that it's not good, IMO, to eat a significant calorie deficit if you are not exercising.

Whether you're eating above or below BMR is irrelevant. There's nothing magic about the BMR number as compared to your calorie intake.

It's OK to eat a significant calorie deficit if you exercise regularly. It's not OK to eat a significant calorie deficit if you never exercise.

Does that make sense?
    Ok, now at least I understand what you are saying. But...I don't understand why it isn't ok. Or at least you haven't explained why?

Why do all of the TDEE calculators out there include "sedentary" as an activity level and give you a TDEE - 20% option if it isn't ok to do?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    So I constantly hear that it is bad to eat below BMR - but some say it is ok.

My activity level right now is sedentary. I have 41 lbs to lose til goal.

My BMR is 1547.
    My TDEE is 1856.

TDEE - 20 % = 1484 - this is 63 calories below BMR and about 4%.
    I'd like to just set my daily calorie goal at 1484, is this still considered an awful thing to do, and if so, why?

Yes, I could eat at a lower deficit - but with it being so close - I'm curious if it even matters right now.

Being slightly below isn't a big deal really...plus, if you use the Katch McCardle formula you're going to get a somewhat lower number than that anyway. It's when people have a BMR of 1400 but they're netting like 700 calories that it becomes a big problem.
  • CM9178
    Options

Get some exercise.
    I will be starting to work with some hand weights at home - about 20 minutes, 3 times per week. That is all I can do right now.