Cardio instead of weight training for weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    Do both cardio and weight training.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb is you can't gain muscle while eating at a deficit.

Strength training helps to keep from losing LBM. It also helps you lose inches. Meaning you'll be able to fit into even smaller clothes.

Cardio alone will burn both LBM and muscle.

You will also be stronger if you continue with the strength training. Stronger doesn't mean that you will have more muscle. To actually gain muscle you have to eat a surplus of calories.

Good post! I would like to add, lifting weights will boost fat burning hormones while most cardio has the opposite effect. Walking is a great exercise to burn calories, increase blood flow to the fat, increase fat burning enzyme activity, and not have a negative effect on fat burning hormones.

So for optimum fat burning, I should supplement my 3x a week lifting session with steady-state walking on my off days?
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options

This sentence is confusing to me. I have just a few lbs left to lose so I AM counting cals right now. But also lifting. So does this mean that you cannot build muscle while trying to shed lbs? Because if I have to choose between shedding the last few and gaining muscle, I choose muscle. Can someone clarify this a bit for me? Lifting WHILE using a deficit is not adding muscle? Don't get it... :huh:
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options

This sentence is confusing to me. I have just a few lbs left to lose so I AM counting cals right now. But also lifting. So does this mean that you cannot build muscle while trying to shed lbs? Because if I have to choose between shedding the last few and gaining muscle, I choose muscle. Can someone clarify this a bit for me? Lifting WHILE using a deficit is not adding muscle? Don't get it... :huh:

Just from reading around, if you're not already really built out and if you have extra weight to shed you CAN build muscle and lose fat just not as much muscle as you would if you were focusing on bulking up.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options

losing pounds is NOT the same thing as losing fat.

Lifting preserves muscle mass. (you don't use it, you lose it principle)
    Preserving muscle mass means that calorie deficit chooses other types of mass to lose instead. like fat.

And yes, lifting while in deficit does not build muscle. Muscle has to comes from somewhere. (food) there are some exceptions, like being totally untrained, being really fat, and using drugs. But outside of those 3 (and even then it's not guaranteed) it's just not going to happen.
  • VpinkLotus
    Options

Just from reading around, if you're not already really built out and if you have extra weight to shed you CAN build muscle and lose fat just not as much muscle as you would if you were focusing on bulking up.

Thanks DC. That is what I was thinking. i can def see my muscles peeking out a bit. Okay, then i'll just keep doing what I'm doing I guess?
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options

Thanks DC. That is what I was thinking. i can def see my muscles peeking out a bit. Okay, then i'll just keep doing what I'm doing I guess?

Without going into too much detail regarding biomechanics you can't build muscle during a deficit you need to eat more to do that but you can strengthen and increase (to a degree) muscle mass while on a deficit.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options

muscles starting to peek out could just as easily be from fat being lost and existing muscle starting to show through better. have the areas that started to peak out grown at all? like your 12" arms became 13" arms or something like that? Otherwise it's unlikely you've gained anything.

Also, when weight training your muscles will be trained to hold more water while in recovery and increase it's carb storage. Both will add a bit of size temporary, but does not mean there has been muscle growth.
  • lyndabraczynski
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice...DO you actually have to walk fast or if you walk fast enough and long enough to break a sweat are you good? My boyfriend does an incline of 17% and a 4.2 pace...I can do this but seem to be so sore after that it hampers my other training. I am tryong to tone up and build muscle do not wish to lose LBM...
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Continue to lift weights.

Your best bet is to start a workout program (those listed on various websites for free, i.e. 12 week programs) and follow their lay out.
    Lifting weights will continuously burn more calories even after you're finished.
    It will ensure you don't lose much muscle as you control your diet.

You cannot BULK at a deficit.
    So what you REALLY want to do, is eat at a slight deficit from your TDEE but above your BMR.
    That is what is going to get you to lose weight.

Everything else is needed, but extra.

As far as Cardio, do HIIT. Take a nice run around your block. 1 minute FAST hardcore running, the next 2 minutes moderate and do that for 10 minutes, each week lessen the gap between the intervals.
  • presbyreformed
    presbyreformed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This is such good information for me. I just restarted my program after a year hiatus and need to lose some belly, but I really want to get my middle-age body back in shape at the same time.

I hear you:
    1) Eat your calories, don't deficit
    2) Do your cardio
    3) Strength training is extremely important
    3) Concentrate on measurements not weight

Got it! Thanks!
  • mk9562
    mk9562 Posts: 186
    Options
    Is your food diary accurate? If so you are not eating enough to fuel any sort of workout!

Exactly what I was going to say. EAT!!
  • VpinkLotus
    Options

muscles starting to peek out could just as easily be from fat being lost and existing muscle starting to show through better. have the areas that started to peak out grown at all? like your 12" arms became 13" arms or something like that? Otherwise it's unlikely you've gained anything.

Also, when weight training your muscles will be trained to hold more water while in recovery and increase it's carb storage. Both will add a bit of size temporary, but does not mean there has been muscle growth.

oh, :ohwell:
  • MyfavoriteMe
    MyfavoriteMe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Is your food diary accurate? If so you are not eating enough to fuel any sort of workout!

I'm currently getting over calorie guilt and working to increase my calorie intake. I had a very bad period in my life about a year ago where I restricted my calories severely and got down to 172, but then naturally gained it all back. So I'm working on improving my diet as well :) Eating right and exercising is the way to go, but I found out the hard way. Ideally I want to be eating between 1200 and 1500 calories a day. (Today I managed 1400!!!)

All of this advice is really helpful! I think I am going to stick with the 30DS, and maybe add in some walking, but I already walk for at least 30-45 minutes a day getting around town and to classes (pretty briskly trying not to be late). And if I'm not seeing the results I want, I will just have to add in some extra cardio doing some of the cardio moves from the 30DS I guess.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Check this woman out. She looks amazing. Granted, she is slightly more "muscular" looking than I would prefer to be (personally), but NO ONE can dispute her amazing discipline, dedication, and hard work! She is my inspiration!! :love:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/921892-no-gym-required?hl=no+gym

She didn't use a gym either. Mostly just youtube videos!
    Might be something to bookmark for future reference. :flowerforyou:
  • MyfavoriteMe
    MyfavoriteMe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Check this woman out. She looks amazing. Granted, she is slightly more "muscular" looking than I would prefer to be (personally), but NO ONE can dispute her amazing discipline, dedication, and hard work! She is my inspiration!! :love:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/921892-no-gym-required?hl=no+gym

She didn't use a gym either. Mostly just youtube videos!
    Might be something to bookmark for future reference. :flowerforyou:

Wow! What an amazing figure! Thank you for sharing! She's surely an inspiration to many :)