Vibram Five Fingers

Options
Does anyone wear these shoes and if so are they comfortable and do they make running in them easier or harder, What about for YOGA

Replies

• LisaInUP
    LisaInUP Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    One of the guys I work with wears them to train and do distance runs. He says they take a bit of getting used to but he LOVES them. I know another lady who wears them casually and likes them but my partner-in-crime tried them and just couldn't get used to them.

Good luck!
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I love mine for leg days and for running. If you decide to get a pair don't go all out and try running your normal distance in them. Minimalist shoes take some time to get used to. Start small and gradually increase the distance your run in them.
  • manwithpans
    manwithpans Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was gonna get them for yoga and to wear like you would flip flops or sandals
  • ozzy9750
    ozzy9750 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have a pair of Vibram Five Fingers and they are the best thing i have bought. I purchased them while on exercise in Canada July 2012 and use them when I train.

They feel wierd to start with like getting used to putting them on an walking with them but after time its like a second skin. I recently started running in them and they are brilliant you can definately feel a difference with running on your toes, which helps with knee/shin problems that i have had in the past. I also weight train in them and are absolutly fine and help build better core stability rather than wearing normal trainers.

I would recommend them to anybody running or weight training i will definately buy anotheer pair when these wear out!

Hope this helps
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I was gonna get them for yoga and to wear like you would flip flops or sandals

Perfect for these as well. I have had some for years and wear them for yoga, lifting and I also wear them on my off days to help strengthen my feet and ankles. Also do some "short" runs (3-4 miles).
  • glamroxjax
    glamroxjax Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I wear mine for EVERYTHING! I do SealFit and Crossfit, do 5-15k's, and all my outdoor adventure stuff (camping, kayaking) in them. My husband finally convinced me to try them and I am part of the VFF cult. lol They last too, when taken care of. My hubby has the the KSO Treks and after 3.5 years, his split ot the toe and leather seam. I'd say that's a long time for a shoe he wears everyday for leisure, fitness etc. And yes, they do take some getting used to for running, but I did a lot of dance prior to using them so I didn't need to break them in quite as much.
  • Seraphemz
    Seraphemz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I got a pair of KSO's and I love them.. .even though I get weird looks when i wear them.

A Tip:
    If it feels weird wearing them barefoot, they have socks for them too. I feel a little better wearing socks with them, also helps in the summer time, since its hot, sweaty, and thats not a good mix for those shoes... they can get a little stinky.
  • upsidedownjelly
    Options
    Vibrams are the only shoes I can run in now. I had Plantar Fasciitis and once I got it under control I found that vibrams are the only running shoes that don't aggravate it. I did a lot of walking in mine before running in them, just to get used to them.

They are a little weird at first, and each style fits a little different... I can wear the Bikila LS no problems but I put the Komodo Sport LS on and can't stand it. So try a few til you get the right fit.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    SOmetimes when I walk with them my feet hurt. BUt i think that's only after i messed up by doing a walk with my uggs slippers or thong sandals. Total, no no.

I love them at the gym though. Totally. I feel balanced and strong when I wear them like in complete control of my feet. That sounds weird I know. but that's how I feel when i wear them.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I use them when I can't go completely barefoot.
  • downeyek
    downeyek Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread. I too have been wanting to get some, but I'm nervous b/c they aren't cheap and I'd hate to hate them. Saying that, I'm mostly a bare-footer anyway, I hate socks, and only wear flip-flops and ballet flats. Something about putting a gigantic shoe on to work out in totally feels wrong to me. My concern is that I'm not in the best shape (yet) and I'm worried about running/walking on hard surfaces. Wouldn't that be painful on one's heels/toes?

If you get them, up-date the thread and let us (me) know what you think!
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Also baby powder will be your best friend when your feet and toes dont want to go where you need them too.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Oh....we're talking about shoes. Well, that's not what I had in mind.

Carry on.
  • LynneseLooksgood
    Options
    I wear them. They are comfortable for me because I have wide flat feet and prefer to walk barefoot everywhere if I could... lol.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I know people who love them...but they just look too weird for me. (And I'm a birkie lover...don't mind ugly shoes)
  • elgray26
    elgray26 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I wear them. I am not sure if it is mental, but before I got them I could not even run a mile. A couple days ago I ran for a whole hour and went 5.5 miles.

They are very comfortable, that is if you don't mind something being between your toes. For me I don't even feel it after a while.
  • astrylian
    astrylian Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You will have to grow accustomed to running in a different style, because the impact is quite different. My boyfriend loved his, but he also likes to jog in rural areas too, which often have gravel or rougher surfaces. He believes that Vibrams are more suitable for running on pavement and smooth surfaces, as you can feel uncomfortable bumpiness a lot more with them. Running in Vibrams usually beats up his feet, if he tries to run in the more gravely dirt roads/wilderness.
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Vibrams are the only shoes I can run in now. I had Plantar Fasciitis and once I got it under control I found that vibrams are the only running shoes that don't aggravate it. I did a lot of walking in mine before running in them, just to get used to them.

They are a little weird at first, and each style fits a little different... I can wear the Bikila LS no problems but I put the Komodo Sport LS on and can't stand it. So try a few til you get the right fit.

I have very bad PF and was wondering about this. Thanks for the insight. Did it change the way you run? I don't mind the way they look, but I always wondered if losing the protective feel of regular or PF stabilized sneakers would freak me out.

Off topic, cute dog!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Does anyone wear these shoes and if so are they comfortable and do they make running in them easier or harder, What about for YOGA

I use them for everything. Fishing, shooting, pub crawling, weight lifting, running, driving, yoga, even ... adult things.

Comfortable, nice minimal feel, and the classics have great grip. Only problem I have with them is that you do give up some protection. I wouldn't want to drop a plate on them.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Buy the newbalance minimus still vibram sole but not weird looking. I love them so much I bought two pairs.