DR BERNSTEIN DIET

Options
Hi beauties!

Looking for people who are currently or who have done this diet to she'd some inside.
I started march 1 st of this year and have currently lost 35 pounds. I have read many horror stories of ppl going off this diet and gaining their weight back plus more an I am terrified!

Yes this diet works. But I keep asking myself really how safe this is for my body...

Anyone done this diet and kept the weight off for 5+ years?
Any tips or tricks to help a girl out?!
Feel free to add me as a friend.
Keep smiling ;-)

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money on it anymore. It's not worth it.

Eat well and exercise for lasting weight loss. Crash diets like this one and all the others out there lead to weight gain as soon as you stop the program. Eating so little as most of these types of diet make you do will mean a decent chunk of the weight you lose is muscle.
  • Amyy1982
    Amyy1982 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I was 19 when I did this diet and managed to lose 50lbs in 4 months - I kept it off for 5 years. Exercised, watched my carbs and drank liters of water a day to keep it off. Then I got married and gained 20lbs the first year, then got pregnant and gained 85lbs lol. Basically, you will lose and you can keep it off but it is tough! The only negative part of it is how little you eat ... it's not very healthy :(
    oh and it's very expensive!

This time I have lost 27lbs doing it the right way! Eating right and exercise :)
  • jillyk89
    jillyk89 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Like deep down I know it's not the right way to lose weight obviously. But it's so hard to stop because the weight comes off so easily. I'm torn.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    it's not healthy or safe. it's Russian roulette with your hormones and a starvation diet.
  • CW101
    CW101 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I did the diet twice and it worked for a while. The first time I lost 40 pounds in about 4 months, gained a bit more than half of it back and the next time I lost 25 pounds in about 2-3 months (getting ready for my wedding). What kept me with it was that I knew I could get fast results.

But in the end it wasn't sustainable for me - the calories were too few and the types of food were restricted. And I remember them getting mad at me when I wasn't losing, yet I stuck to the plan meticulously. It can be a good jump start but it's not healthy in the long run - my doctor strongly suggested I not do it. Eventually my nails became brittle (they are usually hard as a rock) and my hair started falling out because of a lack of calcium and nutrients.

I've taken some of the principles of the diet (lower carb, limited red meat, limited sandwich meats) and apply it to what I currently eat - so basically trying to stick to clean, whole foods.

Good luck!
  • jillyk89
    Options
    Some principles of it are good I don't argue that...
    It is low calorie but when I'm on it I'm not hungry I have to literally force myself to eat its weird.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Idk anything about that diet, but it's not good to lose such an amount of weight in such little time. When u do that, it's doubtful that all of that is fat. The name of the game is fat loss. Remember that fat isn't the only thing that has weight, so does muscle. And the scale cant tell you which you're losing. When you're not doing it the healthy way, ur not minimizing ur muscle loss.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options

I have read many horror stories of ppl going off this diet and gaining their weight back plus more an I am terrified!

But I keep asking myself really how safe this is for my body...

Any tips or tricks to help a girl out?!

Rather than waste your time and money on someone else, invest in yourself.

Read and try this for best results

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0?hl=road+map
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Like deep down I know it's not the right way to lose weight obviously. But it's so hard to stop because the weight comes off so easily. I'm torn.

change your mentality from "weight loss" to "fat loss"

what do you really want to lose? Scale weight, whether it's fat, muscle, bone density, water weight or anything else...? If so then getting your leg amputated is probably the quickest way to lose scale weight... but you want two legs right? and you want dense bones (high bone density equals lower risk of osteoporosis) and you don't want weak and wasted muscles....

or do you want to lose actual fat, and nothing but fat? If that's what you want, then understand that the human body can't burn more than 2lb of fat in a week unless you are running marathons or something, and if you're losing more than that, then it isn't all fat, it's something else (see the list above). If you just want to lose fat, then eat a decent amount of food but still less than you burn off (the TDEE - 20% method is good for that) and exercise to strengthen your bones and muscles, and aim to lose around 2lb a week........... if you're already at a healthy body fat percentage then TDEE - 10% and aiming to lose 0.5lb/week is better (there's more risk of losing more than just fat when you're already in the healthy range for body fat percentage). If you use the MFP default values, then exercise and eat back those exercise calories to strengthen your bones and muscles, as this helps to ensure it's just fat that you're losing.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Some principles of it are good I don't argue that...
    It is low calorie but when I'm on it I'm not hungry I have to literally force myself to eat its weird.

Its normal to have that reaction. When we eat very low-calories diets, we force our body to dial down our metabolism to survive. So we no longer get hungry for normal calories. Other strategies that our body uses to survive is to burn muscle. The advantages for the body is that muscle burns calories even at rest, so getting rid of muscle mass makes it much easier for the body to survive on low calories. And less muscle also further slows your metabolism. The only way to break out of the cycle is to force yourself to eat a healthy amount of calories, hunger or no, for long enough that your body readjusts.

As someone who has lost weight both ways (very low-calorie diet @ 1300 and healthy deficit @ 1800), the way to make weight loss last over time is to do it the slow but healthy way. Do weight lifting to keep/build muscle mass. Eat a small deficit of calories to keep your metabolism strong.

I also reveresed my type 2 diabetes. I did it while never getting less than 130 net carbs (165+ total carbs) a day. I now maintain ideal bg levels by staying under 240 net carbs a day. The problem with Dr. Bernstein's diet is that it only works well for someone who is totally devoid of insulin: type 1 diabetics. Everyone can benefit from even bg levels, but realized that how you eat carbs to get that even bg CHANGES over time. If you started out prediabetic, you have a certain level of insulin resistance. As you improve your diet, even out your carbs, and lose weight your insulin slowly heals and you become more insuline sensitive. Then you are able to handle more carbs and in fact NEED to eat more carbs. The number of carbs that we need to eat to maintain even bg throughout the day depends on our level on insulin sensitivity and that CHANGES over time.

Bottom line: you will do best on a healthy number of calories that are only 15% below your TDEE (this is a moderate, healthy deficit) and eating a moderate amount of carbs, but spread them out evenly between as many meals/snacks a day as you can (I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks every day). That way you never carb-bomb your body.

Good luck to you!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I did the American version (Medi-Weightloss). It was awful, and completely warped my view towards eating healthy. Over a year later it is still a struggle. I did it with 2 co-workers. One gained all the weight back +20 lbs. One continues to yo-yo with shakes and products like Herbalife still looking for the quick fix.

Eat healthy, strength train, drink water, sleep. That's where the real magic happens. That is how I continued to lose FAT. Fat, not just weight after I stopped. Slowly, and in a healthy way.
  • jillyk89
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm getting scared just reading all this.
    But it's so hard being over weight and struggling to lose weight my entire life and then finally find something that works to just drop the pounds. I am terrified that I am losing muscle mass like you have all mentioned
    I have alot to think about!
  • Sherrilynne7
    Sherrilynne7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. If this diet works and you are happy with results keep at it. What you eat is nobody's business but your own.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Anything that isn't a permanent lifestyle change will ultimately fail.
  • kingtermite
    kingtermite Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have read many horror stories of ppl going off this diet and gaining their weight back plus more an I am terrified!
    This is what happens with ALL diets. Diets DO NOT WORK!!!!

^^^^^^THIS IS THE TRUTH!
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^
  • alison590
    alison590 Posts: 61
    Options
    A coworker did this twice. Lost around 40 pounds both times and gained that all back plus more. She spent SO much money on it and is now bigger than ever! It's not sustainable. MFP is a great resource. So many inspiring people on here who have lost so much weight. Also do heavy lifting! Best thing you can do. In my opinion :)
  • jaisandhu
    jaisandhu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Honestly I did the Dr.B diet in 2007/2008 for about a month and just incorporated those life style changes into my life... and I lost 70 pounds or so in about 4-6 months. My highest was 198 and my lowest was 125/130 ish... I kept it off for a few years and gained about 40 pounds back but kept the other 30 off. I think it works for sure. The only reason I gained weight back is because I ate crap 24/7 for about three years while was in school as well as because my bf isn't exactly a health nut and so together we just eat really badly.

My motto is do it if it works for you and stick to what works for YOU. Everyone's body is different so don't get derailed just because something that works for you does not work for someone else. DO YOUR THING!
  • jillyk89
    Options
    Very true
  • TerryFle
    Options
    Hi Jilly;

I did the Bernstein diet twice. The first time with the Maintenance program and slowly gained weight but the second time I went from 272 lbs down to 212 and then got smart and went on a BALANCED meal program with little to no carbs...very nice transition...You MUSTdo this as your body during ketosis simply is BANKING and saving FAT that will be added to your weight once you start eating carbs again.....you don't need the insulin rush to addict you to carbs again. The only successful balanced meal program that is also listed on myfitnesspal is Healthy Chef Delivery. To lose more weight I have simply joined a gym for the new year. Good luck!