What to eat before a run

Options
Hi there,

I usually have porridge for breakfast, occasionally with a banana. I thought this was a fairly good "runner's breakfast", but I don't feel energised if I go for a run in the morning.

I've noticed that I find running easier in the evenings; could this be because I have more calories in me from throughout the day? Has my body simply not had enough time to absorb the calories from my breakfast when I go running in the morning?

Usually the morning time is the most convenient for me to exercise, so does anyone have any tips for feeling energised for a morning run? For instance, how long should I leave it after eating before exercising?

It isn't the case that I'm just too tired, as I'd describe myself as a morning person! :D Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I think it has more to do with the person than anything...my wife loves working out in the AM and can go full tilt...my workouts suck in the morning regardless of what I fuel with. I'm a beast in the evening though, and my wife can barely lift her pinky finger.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    There's also quite a few studies that state your oxygen/blood flow is better later in the day after using muscles throughout for daily activities.

I work out in the late evenings and enjoy it the most. Even starting from 7p-9pm.

As said, everyone is different.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    PANCAKES !!! CARBS AND SUGAR !!
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I can't workout on a full stomach. I usually need to allow 2-3 hours after a meal to exercise (especially running). If I workout in the AM, I'll usually have a small piece of fruit and/or a tablespoon of almond butter.
  • MaeRenee94
    MaeRenee94 Posts: 175
    Options
    As stated above, everyone is different. You just have to find what works for you. Trying getting more protien in you for breakfast, when I was working with a trainer I would have a piece of toast with peanut butter and a bannana, or egg whits with peanut butter.

I find myself able to run faster in the evening but longer in the morning.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Yep. Agree with everyone about how it's very personal. I cannot eat before a morning run. At all. Not a bite unless I get up and run 2-3 hours later and then I have something really bland and really small. My running partner eats waffles with PB about 30 minutes before a 8 mile run so you have to find what works for you.
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It ususally takes one hour before the breakfast you ate is absorbed into energy. Try allowing more time. Another option is eat/drink carbs (source of energy) that are more easily digestible; such as a fruit smoothie or energy drink.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You could run before eating. Also, in the evening your muscles are a little more warmed up which may help.