Personal training

Options
I had my first session with a personal trainer, and he told me to eat more throughout the day, do less cardio and mostly resistance training. Does this sound like it could work??

Replies

• jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goals are.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    what are your goals?

I personally believe that many, and in particularly women, neglect resistance training and do way too much cardio...so on that note, I would most definitely agree. You also need to properly fuel your body, though I've never really bought into the you have to eat 6 times per day thing. I actually do that, but it's more that I just like to eat all of the time than any particular diet trick.
  • johnnlinda
    Options
    You were pretty low on your calories. I made the same mistake. I am eating more now and loving the weight training. I have been doing it for 2 weeks now, I have not lost or gained a pound, but I am dropping inches. I'm giving up the scale for a while. Listen to your trainer and get more protein. ;)
  • Toddahlie
    Toddahlie Posts: 116 Member
    Options

He said all!
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options

Agreed. If you're looking to run in races, 5/10Ks, marathons, then go ahead and continue running. You will have to eat a lot more to compensate for the calories used for running. Stay on track with that daily goal and close to 0 calories left as possible.

If you're just trying to lose weight and feel stronger/better, then yeah, try the weights. You get stronger, fitter, and your metabolism will increase with muscle gain. Muscle takes 3x more calories than fat to maintain, so your body will be working harder throughout the day to maintain what you're putting on. Don't worry about putting on globs of muscle like you see on body builders, as it's hard to do for women without some type of supplement. You'll end up with a nice toned look at the end of your ultimate plans !
  • suki_j
    suki_j Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) My goal was to tone up and to lose about a stone. . . I was really only doing intense 30 min cardio work outs at the gym. I'll try to stick to the plan he's given me!