Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Opinions Needed: Cardio vs Weights

So I'm at that point were I only have about 5-6lbs to lose. Maybe I shouldn't say pounds, how about I only have a few more inches or like 3% body fat to get rid of, because in the end I don't care what the scale says. Anyways I'm currently 5'6" 130.5lbs and carry the last of my weight in my butt and upper legs. I did mostly cardio to come to were I am now in my weight loss and I hate it. Cardio sucks. Its boring. I don't run, I cant run due to SI joint flair ups when I do. I will walk and I have a spin bike in case I get bored. Weights I can do and will do. They don't scare me and I'd rather drip sweat lifting than any form of cardio.

So my question is would it really matter if I cut cardio and just lift? Would it make that big of a difference to get that last bit of fat?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Do the weight training. You may not actually lose 5-6 pounds unless you're eating at a deficit buuuuut, you're going to lose some inches (fat) and look "hotter".
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    So I'm at that point were I only have about 5-6lbs to lose. Maybe I shouldn't say pounds, how about I only have a few more inches or like 3% body fat to get rid of, because in the end I don't care what the scale says.
    I like you already. That's exactly correct. I think you know what you need to do so it's time to just do it. You want to hit the weights hard because that's going to give you the look you're wanting. Losing body fat is still just a matter of a calorie reduction no matter what form of exercise you're doing. Keep your protein intake up to 1 gram per pound of body weight (I do 1 gram per pound total weight) and start using those weights like crazy. Since you're so close focus more on getting good nutrition and use the tape measurement more than the scale. If you can get a set of calipers and practice taking measurements for body fat % that would be good for you as well. Measurements, BF %. That's your thing. Actual weight is a small issue at this point.

Use the weights, increase calories slightly for muscle building focus and slight decrease for body fat reduction focus.

I wouldn't totally cut out the cardio because I think it has a lot more benefit than just appearance but you can scale it back to a 20 - 30 minute session a few times a week.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    IMO, it shouldn't be cardio vs weights, it should be cardio + weights.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member

Yes, please!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member

Me, too...but it is different for everyone. Some women can lose the cardio altogether and get fantastic results just from heavy lifting. I like both, so I do both. Try dropping the cardio and just lift heavy for three months...if you don't like it, re-evaluate.
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Fat loss comes from a calorie deficit....so as long as you’re in a deficit, eat adequate protein and fats for your size and strength train, you will lose weight and look better
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member

I agree with this. Both have their benefits. I would suggest finding some type of cardio that you like though so you're not miserable while doing it. Have you tried a spinning class? It's a lot more fun than just hopping on a bike and riding for a while. How about zumba/dance? Swimming? Kickboxing? Jillian Michaels DVDs? There's tons of options out there.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Do the weight training. You may not actually lose 5-6 pounds unless you're eating at a deficit buuuuut, you're going to lose some inches (fat) and look "hotter".

agreed. and isn't our ultimate goal as women to look hotter?
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    At this point you have little to lose, more or less reshape or recomp.

Lift heavy 3-4x a week, and add in a little cardio if you like. Mainly you can cut a small amount of calories from your diet alone if you despise cardio.

I despise cardio also but I'll do 2 sessions of 20 minutes of HIIT per week to keep the heart in check. It isn't enjoyable, but it's quick! :laugh:
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    What about a bootcamp-type workout? My heart rate gets way up there for almost an hour in my bootcamp class, where I'm getting a full body, functional type workout and I burn about 150 calories/hour more than when I was walking on the treadmill at a level 9-ish incline for 30 minutes and lifting for 30 minutes. And it's a lot more fun!
  • Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    What about a bootcamp-type workout? My heart rate gets way up there for almost an hour in my bootcamp class, where I'm getting a full body, functional type workout and I burn about 150 calories/hour more than when I was walking on the treadmill at a level 9-ish incline for 30 minutes and lifting for 30 minutes. And it's a lot more fun!

I live in Puerto Rico and don't speak any Spanish and there aren't really any gyms down here so classes are out. My complex has a VERY small gym that I can use. I've tried DVDs, YouTube, ect but I feel like I just get more from lifting. Plus don't you get a higher after burn from weights?

Plus I feel like if I do super sets with no rest in between I should be getting just as much as a calories burn doing boring cardio right?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    How about you take the weights, do circuit training with them?

Think like as many squats you can do in a minute, as many lunges you can do in a minute, etc etc. It gives you that cardio aspect, but you are still using weights.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    It all comes down to your net calories... As long as your in a deficit you should lose weight no matter the circumstance of lifting/cardio ... Though since you say you only have a couple of pounds to go, macro counting could impact your body!
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    How about you take the weights, do circuit training with them?

Think like as many squats you can do in a minute, as many lunges you can do in a minute, etc etc. It gives you that cardio aspect, but you are still using weights.
    doing cardio with weights is still cardio... if you want to do resistance training, then you need to push something with enough resistance to damage your muscles. endurance and cardio training does not do this.
  • Why don't you try this:

1. Weight training on Mon, Weds, Fri
    2. HIIT on Tue, Thurs and Sat.
    3. Rest on Sunday.

Weight training helps you build more muscles.
    HIIT helps you burn more fats.
    Alternate training day allows your body to recover, so that you won't lose too many muscle mass.
  • Kimsoontobe
    Kimsoontobe Posts: 110 Member
    Bump
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

Yes, please!

why? if she hates cardio why do it???
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member

So my question is would it really matter if I cut cardio and just lift? Would it make that big of a difference to get that last bit of fat?

Thanks in advance!

I do both, but still have some weight to lose.

At this point, I think just the weights (and your spin bike/walking when you want to) would help you get rid of the last of the fat more efficiently than cardio. Find a program (like Stronglifts, New Rules, Wendler's 5/3/1) that uses compound lifts and you will cut your gym time down, as well as, getting the body shape you want.

Good luck.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    My older sister is super skinny and does major cardio with minimal weight training. My younger sister hates cardio although she will do a little HIIT only because her trainer prods the whole group into doing it. She lifts weights a couple times a week and is also super skinny. I have been told I'm skinny (I don't feel like it but maybe that is a whole nother subject) and I do a combo of running and heavy lifting because I like both. So I guess my point is, if you hate cardio then lift heavy. You are within your proper weight range so lifting will recomp your body and likely give yo the results you want.
  • raven_ous
    raven_ous Posts: 223
    Honestly just do what you enjoy! Not only will you enjoy your workouts but your adherence will probably be better.

Lowering BF% will be the result of a calorie deficit.

Just to be sure to get the right amount of nutrients macros/micros and own it.