Something odd about total calories

If you take a look at my totals for today, the Total calories don't actually add up properly if you multiply the protein and carbs grams x 4 and the fat grams by 9. The report says I fall short by 246 calories, but doing the math above, I fall short by only 26. Where are the other 220? What am I missing? :huh:

39867425_7269.jpg

Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Did you exercise for the 220 difference?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Where does your macro info come from? If you're using the MFP food database, as users are able to add entries, the foods you've picked for your diary may be incorrect or incomplete.
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Did you exercise for the 220 difference?

No exercise.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Where does your macro info come from? If you're using the MFP food database, as users are able to add entries, the foods you've picked for your diary may be incorrect or incomplete.

I would say it has something to do with this, data isn't always correctly added to the database or at times amounts are rounded.
  • Thorbjornn

Yes, the MFP database. I noticed a lot of my selections are member created. Maybe small discrepancies add up. OK, this makes sense. Thanks. :smile:
  • Thorbjornn
    Update: That's exactly what it is. I checked a few of my food selections for today. The macros of a particular food may be correct, but they don't total up to the proper number of calories. Now I know to be on the look out for that if something looks odd.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Two other things to keep in mind: the food companies will also round the data up or down to come up with nice even numbers. And the 4-for-carbs, 9-for-fat, 4-for-protein stats are also rounded--the actuals are a range, like carbs are 3.7 to 4.2 calories per gram, fats are around 9.2 calories per gram, etc. None of it is absolute, so don't get frustrated if it doesn't add up perfectly. It never will.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    magic
  • Thorbjornn
    Thanks. Yeah, numbers are funny. I'm glad to know there's a reason, and not to sweat it. :smile:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Some food you entered is very wrong.

MFP doesn't calculate calories from macros. It just adds up the calories you've entered. You could add a bunch of custom foods that have 3 calories but 100 grams of fat and MFP wouldn't care.
  • jonnythan
    Those pork patties report 4g carbs, 28g protein, 20g fat. That's 288 calories. Yet calories only says 244. That's a very big difference.

Also, the "generic ham egg and cheese omelette" adds up to 378 calories. Yet the calories entered is only 266.

Those two incorrect items make up the bulk of your discrepancy.
  • Thorbjornn
    Ok, I gotcha. It doesn't do cross-checking. In fact, one of the foods I discovered was way off was a grilled chicken breast. :noway:
  • Thorbjornn
    Those pork patties report 4g carbs, 28g protein, 20g fat. That's 288 calories. Yet calories only says 244. That's a very big difference.

Also, the "generic ham egg and cheese omelette" adds up to 378 calories. Yet the calories entered is only 266.

Thanks for checking. So we follow the macros instead to see that they are in line with goals? I'm new at being this diligent. That's why I went up to 230 lbs at one point, just winging it thinking I wasn't eating as much as I actually was... classic case.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member

Thanks for checking. So we follow the macros instead to see that they are in line with goals? I'm new at being this diligent. That's why I went up to 230 lbs at one point, just winging it thinking I wasn't eating as much as I actually was... classic case.

Live and learn, though! None of our calculations are going to be perfect, but you keep at it and keep improving, and hopefully find the calculations and maths that do a good job of approximating your situation.

Don't expect to be perfect cuz nobody's gonna have it perfect. We're all just doin' our best! :P
  • Thorbjornn
    Awesome, thanks. :flowerforyou:
  • jonnythan

Well you want to follow calories and macros. Calories important for weight loss, macros important for body composition and health.

You can do sanity checks on foods by calculating how many calories they should have based on macros listed versus calories listed. The omelette, for instance, is clearly very wrong.

I would delete that food and re-add it using better numbers. I'd probably add the eggs, ham, and cheese separately. Personally I own a food scale so I can weigh out the cheese and ham.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member

I enter all my own foods unless there is an MFP entry that I have confirmed is correct, then I'll reuse that one if that's the case.
  • Thorbjornn

Well you want to follow calories and macros. Calories important for weight loss, macros important for body composition and health.

You can do sanity checks on foods by calculating how many calories they should have based on macros listed versus calories listed. The omelette, for instance, is clearly very wrong.

I would delete that food and re-add it using better numbers. I'd probably add the eggs, ham, and cheese separately. Personally I own a food scale so I can weigh out the cheese and ham.

When I am home I weigh and measure everything. I had that omelette from the cafeteria this morning. I watched him use two eggs, a slice of ham, 2 slices of cheese and the vegs I asked for. A slice of ham and a slice of cheese is usually about 1 oz (from my WW days counting points). Now, I can take those ingredients myself and create a meal. Why I didn't do that to begin with is a mystery. Considering I eat pretty much the same way every day, this shouldn't be a problem anymore (and I know I could have done better than the pre-made sausage patties :embarassed: ).
  • jonnythan

When I am home I weigh and measure everything. I had that omelette from the cafeteria this morning. I watched him use two eggs, a slice of ham, 2 slices of cheese and the vegs I asked for. A slice of ham and a slice of cheese is usually about 1 oz (from my WW days counting points). Now, I can take those ingredients myself and create a meal. Why I didn't do that to begin with is a mystery. Considering I eat pretty much the same way every day, this shouldn't be a problem anymore (and I know I could have done better than the pre-made sausage patties :embarassed: ).

I'd remove the wrong "omelette" and add 2 large eggs, 2 slices of cheese, and a slice of ham separately.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Two other things to keep in mind: the food companies will also round the data up or down to come up with nice even numbers. And the 4-for-carbs, 9-for-fat, 4-for-protein stats are also rounded--the actuals are a range, like carbs are 3.7 to 4.2 calories per gram, fats are around 9.2 calories per gram, etc. None of it is absolute, so don't get frustrated if it doesn't add up perfectly. It never will.

This ^^ MFP rounds data too. If you enter 24.6 for carbs, it will save as 25.