Need help with 'cleaner' eating

Options
2»

Replies

• mmickeep
    mmickeep Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    "You can make a big batch of REAL oatmeal, (I prefer steel cut oats, but old fashioned - NOT quick) and portion it out for each morning. Then all you have to do is heat it up and maybe add some milk, honey, peanut butter, chopped sauteed apples with cinnamon and nutmeg, or chopped strawberries. If you like it the same way each morning, you could even make your whole batch like that. Oatmeal is great with frozen blueberries too! "

Does it stay well if you make it the night before , I want to make it ahead of time for my husband to take to work for breakfast.
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Couple of hard boiled eggs, tuna salad, peanut butter, cheese, these are all easy to prepare and are convenient.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Reading her post, she doesn't sound overly focused on clean foods, and I don't think she is undereating (1200 + exercise calories.) She pretty much says she is doing ok but wants some ideas for work. She sounds like she is looking for some creativity or variety and doesn't want to have to rely on Fiber One bars to keep her going.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    OP, the simplest suggestion from me would be to pack up any leftovers to eat at work.

You can make oatmeal in a slow cooker. OhSheGlows.com has tons of oats recipes, many that require no cooking at all. Bring portions of nuts and seeds, or even bring a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter. Have a latte (one without added sugars except for treats.) Veggies and hummus. Throw some frozen veggies in a container, scoop some kind of fat on them (butter, sour cream, guacamole, salad dressing, etc) and pop in the microwave when you are ready to eat. Pop some popcorn to bring with you, just have some protein with it. Soup.

Even for those who don't like to cook, stirfries are pretty simple, are an easy way to fit in tons of veggies and protein, and hard to mess up. Don't be afraid of fat and protein when trying to eat more cleanly.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Make a dozen hard-boiled eggs over the weekend and take them to work with you throughout the week. Sprinkle a little salt on them, instant snack! Delicious.

For breakfast, I like old-fashioned oats with a cup of frozen raspberries and a couple sweetener packets.

One of my favorite snacks is a mix of 3 parts almonds (unsalted), 2 parts raisins, and 2 parts dried cranberries. It's delicious and satisfying.

Try lots of different fruits and take those as snacks. I recently discovered I really like starfruit. I also really love kiwis, apples, oranges, and bananas.

If you're in the mood for something snacky, slice some plantains and bake them! My favorite thing to dip them in is a dip I make with avocado and lime juice. I just mash up one ripe avocado and add lime juice to taste. The plantain chips are perfect for it.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas! I love my slow cooker for making batches of food for all week, or a couple days.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    watch forks over knives or hungry for a change
  • kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Follow this blog for some inspiration:
    http://fitnessing-life.tumblr.com/
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I hear Betty Crocker Decorating Cake Icing is pretty clean.
  • mozero
    mozero Posts: 2
    Options
    i buy a wholemeal roll from a local bakery and make a salad and sliced turkey roll for lunches. then i cut it in half, have half at 12, and the other half at 3. stack each one with a carrot, a piece of fruit, and lots of water, and i feel full on very few calories, with a good mix of lean protein and starchy and fibrous carbs

wow 1200 is low. at 1200 cals you have to do alot of things right for it to be effective. the starvation response will kick in after just a few days of that and you will really struggle to lose anything (as well as be grumpy, tired and hungry all day). theres nothing more devastating than struggling through 3 weeks of 1200s and not seeing the scales move at all. hunger will be a big problem for you too.

i suggest 1400-1500, but with cardio.

if you are going to keep going at that level, or even 14-1500
    - eat every 3 hours. just keep putting fuel on that fat burning fire. do it even if your not hungry at that time.
    - do cardio. morning is best.
    - water, water, water.
    - get a multivitamin, one that includes iron and b. you wont be getting that stuff from food, because you dont eat enough, so you have to get it from elsewhere.
    - do what bodybuilders call re-feeds. every 4th day, eat your maintenance level, but stay clean. this kick starts a floundering metabolism.
    - stacking. stack different types of food with others and eat them at the same time. before every meal, eat a carrot and wash it down with water, and follow your meal with a 40-80 calorie snack of something different.
    - eat slowly. put down your food between every bite, and wash it down with water or skim milk.

by doing these things, you can still lose weight on very low calorie diets, and the hunger and tiredness doesent turn you into a zombie . i have spent weeks and months at those levels and its really, really tough, it takes alot of organisation and its not that effective and not really sustainable.

nowadays i tend to hit 2000 (im a male, it would be 1800 for you) and get my deficits with high intensity cardio and weight lifting. im ALOT happier, im full of energy, its alot more sustainable, and i still lose weight at the same rate anyway
  • mozero
    mozero Posts: 2
    Options
    also, clean can mean different things, but i use it the way bodybuilders use it, which is a good macronutrient ratio, say 50 carb, 30 protein, 20 fat

with
    - no processed sugar at all
    - very little saturated fat
    - starchy carbs like wholemeal bread and sweet potato
    - fibrous carbs which are fresh veges
    - lean proteins like chicken breast
  • knovello82
    knovello82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have been sticking to 1200 calories or a little more during the week, while eating my exercise calories. It has not been difficult. During the weekend I am higher, but I am keeping up with logging on the weekends and I hope it will cause me to lower my calories on the weekend (& to quit the darn drinking).

The thing is, I am a creature of habbit & I am not a cook, so when I am at work during the day I usually stick to the same things-instant oatmeal for breakfast, grilled chicken wrap for lunch, fiber 1 bar for afternoon snack. I keep reading that the 'instant' & 'diet' stuff is not good, and I agree. The problem is-I don't know what the heck to replace it with. I have tried fresh fruit for breakfast before, but after eating it for a few minutes I'm like "bleh" & throw it out-only to be starving half an hour later. Can you guys help give me some ideas?

Dinner is easier, because my boyfriend is the cook & has been making healthy meals, like chicken & rice, pork chops, salads. It's what I'm eating at work I need help with.

My concern is you're not eating enough, forget the clean eating bs, start eating more food, have a proper amount. Make sure you do things right. One step at a time.

Wow thanks for all of the yummy suggestions!

You are right, 1200 isn't enough. I just manually changed my goal to 1500. My brother is a trainer, & he said 1200 is way too low unless I am 125 pounds, which I am not (otherwise I would not be here lol). Yesterday I felt very sluggish & I didn't eat enough at work, so I made sure to eat a little extra last night, already feeling better.

I saw some arguments on here as to why I posted-I just tend to reach for the easy, prepackaged 'diet' foods intead of more, fresh stuff because I don't cook. But there are a lot of great ideas on here & I will try them.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    That's good, "yummy food" is easier to stick to right? So it's more likely you will do this for the long term and be successful. (cough cough)

Yes, it was nice of the people who responded to her request for ideas of fresher foods to eat than the prepackaged "diet" foods with suggestions of different foods. They gave her some ideas that will help her stay the course and have long-term success within the parameters she asked for in her post.

Best of luck to you, OP!
  • Laurelthequeen
    Options
    "You can make a big batch of REAL oatmeal, (I prefer steel cut oats, but old fashioned - NOT quick) and portion it out for each morning. Then all you have to do is heat it up and maybe add some milk, honey, peanut butter, chopped sauteed apples with cinnamon and nutmeg, or chopped strawberries. If you like it the same way each morning, you could even make your whole batch like that. Oatmeal is great with frozen blueberries too! "

Does it stay well if you make it the night before , I want to make it ahead of time for my husband to take to work for breakfast.

Yes. You may have to monkey with the liquid levels a bit. I find that even if I let it cool and pack it up "soupy", by the time I pull out out the next morning, it has solidified pretty effectively. I prefer to have it soupier with some milk though, so I just add milk and whatever else I'm feeling like eating that morning and microwave it for a minute or so, then mix it up to liquefy it a bit.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I love these ideas. I'm always seeking to eat fewer processed foods. The issue for me is not cooking. I like to cook. It is time and planning and shopping. . .

When you are a working mom of busy kids sometimes it comes down to a choice between workout time or cooking from scratch.

Oatmeal is always easy though--regular oats cook in 3 minutes in the microwave. Just make sure your bowl is large or it boils over.

How long and at what temp do you cook the little egg muffins/ mini quiches?