LADIES makeup and active lifestyle

Options
so, i go from workout to running around a college campus to late, late nights of work in a studio (often not even going home to sleep).

unfortunately i have found that sweat+make up+no time+stress=bad skin : ( in a perfect world, no makeup at all would be ideal. however, bad skin perpetuates the need for makeup, and on and on for me. any recommendations on skin-friendly products? tips? sage advice?

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Wear a ski mask?
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest keeping a pack of oil-free facial wipes in your bag - that way, you can take your makeup off and give your face a quick freshening up while you're on the go! I get mine at CVS and find them to be very convenient when I don't have time for a full shower after a workout.
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've been using Skin 79 BB creams lately. It lasts through my workout, isn't too heavy and has a pretty high SPF.
  • Penny_Lane_
    Penny_Lane_ Posts: 163
    Options
    Wear a ski mask?

Hhaahahahahaha
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    You go straight from workout to running around campus and then straight to work after that? I assume you take a shower after working out so your face would be clean at that point. When do you put on your makeup?
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    If my man makes an effort to put make up on to look good for me, so will i dammit!
    2u3q8Oi.jpg
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i wear tinted moisturizer with SPF and not too much in terms of makeup. i should probably wear waterproof mascara because i go to the gym straight from work...and sometimes the sweat drips from my eyes ;) and i'm about to try this finishing spray that apparently makes everything stay put. both by mary kay.
  • adrienne0906
    adrienne0906 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If my man makes an effort to put make up on to look good for me, so will i dammit!
    2u3q8Oi.jpg

YES.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I wash my face with a Clinique facial wipe after my workout (if I'm not home) and reapply my makeup. I also wash with proactive every night so never have never had any acne problems.
  • touughcookie360
    Options
    I haven't tried this particular products yet (but want to) Mehron makes a antiperspirant for your face!

http://www.mehron.com/Setting_Powder_p/136.htm

http://www.alconeco.com/Products/Straight-Makeup/Face/Correctors-and-Concealers/Mehron-ProFace-No-Sweat-Skin-Prep-Pro-4-oz

Kryolan also makes waterproof setting powder that is really good

http://www.alconeco.com/Products/Straight-Makeup/Face/Powders/Kryolan-Dermacolor-Waterproof-Powder

Ben Nye also makes a waterproofing product called final seal that is nice. I think urban decay makes one as well.
  • adrienne0906
    adrienne0906 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    usually work out, shower.....and because i intern in a fairly nice office with a dress code, clients, etc., i use bb cream, mascara, and do my hair. i can usually put up/cover my hair and not get it sweaty and gross, so that's not too bad, but working super late, stressing, and wearing that makeup for 16+hours isn't doing me any favors. good idea with the portable wipes, and something light and oil-free like tinted moisturizer.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I've found that the bare minerals powder makeup and their lotion (or I use Aveeno for oily skin) actually keeps my breakouts under control.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Bare Minerals. It will not clog your pores.

Putting make up on your face makes your skin bad, which means more make up to cover it up. It took me a while to be convinced to use it and after I did, OMG it is amazing. My skin stopped breaking out (with the exception of that one TOM zit).

I also use the Pro X by Olay every day. After I ran out of the cleanser that comes with it, I started using the Gariner Exfoliation cleanser with it and it is AMAZING. The most important thing I can get across to any teenage and 20 something is to make sure to wash and moisturize your face every day. I will be 45 in 4 months, I certainly can pass for someone in my early 30s. Moisturize, even if is just oil of olay,every day.
  • jooonesy
    jooonesy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest keeping a pack of oil-free facial wipes in your bag - that way, you can take your makeup off and give your face a quick freshening up while you're on the go! I get mine at CVS and find them to be very convenient when I don't have time for a full shower after a workout.

^^This

I carry facial wipes in my bag just for that purpose. If I remember, I wipe off the makeup before working out, but even if I forget, they're very helpful for after the workout. As for makeup, my skin has taken a liking to Clinique and Benefit products, but everyone's skin is different.
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I never leave home without my M.A.C. blot film!

I have incredibly oily skin, but I still like to be fully made up when I leave the house. M.A.C.'s blot film is a lifesaver for me.

Avoid any products with mineral oil in them. Due to the large size of the molecules your pores will become clogged. Vegetable oils have smaller molecules, and are unlikely to clog up the pores. Most products that are labelled as "Oil Free" are not truly oil free: they're mineral oil free and have vegetable oils in them, so it is a bit deceptive.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    You just need to make it a priority and a routine that before bed you wash your face and put on a nice moisturizer. Never go to bed with make up on.

Dont over scrub your face either. A gentle cleanse once to twice a day should be all you need.
  • Arazante
    Arazante Posts: 12
    Options
    Most make ups are just trash for your skin, and they only cover-up (often poorly) stress and issues, then worsen them. Better off getting into a facial routine that will help decrease lines/wrinkles/patches/stress marks over time.

Regardless, if you still feel the need: Someone mentioned using a moisturizer with a bit of a tint- this is a good idea. The Olay Total Effects 7 in One CC Tone Correcting has SPF and 3(?) different shades of color that *look* like a foundation. They don't rub off like make up, either, because it's a moisturizer. I really live by the Olay products for budget-wise.. the Regenerist line is quite effect for the price- it helps rid the urge/need for make up, at all, because they help improve the skin.

Facial/clay masks will help tighten the skin, shrink pores, and make your skin glow. Lemon scrubs do the same. Vitamin C is large doses doses helps, and sugar scrubs (ones with citric acid), used a few times a week look like you got a spa treatment. Use lightly if you're prone to blackhead breakouts and acne breakouts, but they help keep the skin very healthy-looking on a permanent basis, not just hourly like make-up.

Other ways to help improve your face permanently, that are a bit more expensive but effective, are glycolic acid peels. This is the most effective way I have found to improve a face at-home that permanently improves the face- shrinks pores, erases most types of scars and fine lines on foreheads/cheeks, etc. Just be careful and make sure to use each brand correctly.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Wash your face after your workout and as soon as you are out of public if you don't want to not have makeup on in public.

Make sure you aren't touching your face. Clean your phone. Clean your makeup brushes regularly. I spritz mine with rubbing alcohol after use and wash well once a week.

I've found the best thing is to workout without any makeup on. No one cares what you look like when working out. It only takes a minute to take it off before working out.

If you can, really try to not wear much makeup. My skin has gotten better without wearing foundation all the time... I try to go without as often as possible. A bit of concealer and mascara goes a long way without needing full coverage foundation and it really helps your skin. If my skin is pretty red I mix a bit of foundation into my moisturizer so it gives a bit of coverage (better yet, if you have acne prone skin use a moisturizer made for acne prone skin and mix your foundation into that). Sometimes just a dusting of powder will do. If you really don't want to not wear makeup while you are out in public wash it off as soon as you can. Put your makeup on after you have worked out and washed your face. Remove it as soon as you can later in the evening.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I only wear base for special occasions, all other times I do the eyeliner, mascara and lipstick, and I carry face powder in my purse to apply during the day as needed.
  • medeamama
    medeamama Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I could go that long without washing, but my Saturday morning is something like this:

A little Olay moisturizer, brown eyeliner, mineral powder and black waterproof mascara. Sometimes I use a tiny bit of blush, but honestly, after a workout, I am pretty flush!

Saturdays I do a pretty vigorous workout, followed by a number of errands: shopping at the grocery store, the meat shop, often the farmer's market, sometimes Target, etc. Since I'm always sure to run into folks, I want to be sure to have *something* on my face, even if I am sweating off most of it.

But as soon as I get home, the pony tail comes off and I'm right in the shower!