Fiber calories

Options
bcattoes
bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
I know a lot of people who count carbs subtract off fiber to get net carbs since fiber is not digestible so the carbs are not absorbed.

For that same reason, should fiber be subtracted from total calories? I eat a pretty high fiber diet. Today I plan to consume at least 41 g of fiber, which is 164 calories which will not be absorbed. If I did that every day, it would be a difference of 1148 calories per week.

While that's not huge, I'm an older female with a desk job and that type of difference is not insigificant since the difference between my BMR and TDEE is only about 600 calories.

Replies

• bcattoes
    Options
    Anyone?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I've upped my fibre to about 30g daily but I don't subtract it. I figure if I'm maintaining (or losing) the numbers are meaningless anyway because I have found the correct amount for maintenance or deficit.
  • Laurelthequeen
    Options
    Funny, I did like 6 months of induction-level carbs, and never once thought about it. Then this morning in the shower, I got to thinking about whether our bodies would be capable of using fiber calories.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    well soluble is digestible
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I've upped my fibre to about 30g daily but I don't subtract it. I figure if I'm maintaining (or losing) the numbers are meaningless anyway because I have found the correct amount for maintenance or deficit.

For maintenance I would agree, but it's possible to eat too low when losing.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    well soluble is digestible

I've seen many conflicting opinions on that and no concrete data. Some say no calories are absorbed, others say 1/2 at most.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Funny, I did like 6 months of induction-level carbs, and never once thought about it. Then this morning in the shower, I got to thinking about whether our bodies would be capable of using fiber calories.

I googled it and tried to stick to research sites. All said none were absorbed from insoluable fiber. There was disagreement soluable. Some thought some could be absorbed, some thought none were, all agreed they didn't know for sure but no one seemed to think they all were.

Which I suppose should answer my question, but I find it odd that it's never discussed. I'd never really thought about it before.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

For maintenance I would agree, but it's possible to eat too low when losing.
    I think it follows the same logic for a deficit. If you are losing 4 pounds a month and getting your daily required macros/micros/fiber, why does the number matter? Losing too fast? eat a bit more. :)