Trying to log homemade bacon

Options
Just wondering if anyone has a clue why my homemade bacon would be so much higher calorie than store bought, just logged 70gms of it (in advance luckily) and it was 419 calories. The same amount of a store bought bacon is 182gms.
What am I doing wrong? The vast majority of the calories are coming from the pork belly, not anything i've added to it, so how can store bought be so much lower?
Thanks

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Bump
    Hoping to get this sorted by lunch so i can decide what to have :)
  • onehurt
    onehurt Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Good question! I have made my own deer salami too. I have always just usede deer meat from the database and some of the mixes have the nutrition on it ... I have always wondered how to figure when using brines or cures too.. Sorry I wasn't any help but would like to know the answer too. For the next time I make some bacon too.

Mark
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Thanks, at least I know I am not the only one in the predicament.
    The cure I used was a dry cure so I just logged all of the stuff I put into it, even though obviously it gets washed off when its done curing, the vast majority of the calories come from the belly anyway.

I am using MFPs entry for the pork belly so it should be correct, but then how is shop bought streaky bacon so low calorie in comparison? How can they have lower calorie pork belly?! Confusing. I ended up eating it for lunch and logging it as it must be right though.