I've lost over 20lbs and and still wearing the same jeans?

Options
According to my scale this morning I've lost around 26lbs and I am still wearing my same jeans I was at my highest.
I would have expected to have dropped at least one size with 26lbs. They are probably a little looser but not enough to move down a size.

What the hell?

Also,
How much weight did you lose before you dropped a pants size?

Replies

• UsernameStillLoading
    UsernameStillLoading Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Loosing weight is not the same as loosing inches. I lost 30lbs before I needed a belt.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I was wearing the same jeans after losing a lot more than that.

It depends on the jeans & how they fit before you started losing. The jeans I was wearing had 1% spandex & they were at least a size to small when I was at my heaviest. The way they fit changed a lot as the pounds & inches were falling off. I did eventually have to stop wearing them.

While it was a bit annoying to be able to wear them that long I realize they were originally way too small.
  • GlamorxGhoul
    Options
    Ah ok. Well good to know it wasn't just me really.

I had hoped of course to be instantly shrinking but I guess it doesn't work like that.

That could easily be it too, I'm kinda surprised I was even wearing that size for as heavy as I was. I guess thats a plus of being fairly tall.
  • Eabec
    Eabec Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Funny, I'm stuck at 8 lbs lost but have gone down 2 pant sizes. All just depends on the body i guess. Frustrating either way!
  • geeky_farmer
    Options
    I wore the same jeans at 285 and 250. Although they were a bit looser. Around 240 I had to get new ones, and they were 20s (I was in 24s). By 225 I was wearing 18s. I hit 212 (back up darn me!) and was in 16s for about a week... A lot depends on so many things. I find if I do A LOT of crunches (like I was between 225 & 212) I will drop a pants size. I was doing 15 minutes of ab machines before and after every workout which was 4-5 times a week... I need to do that again too... :(
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    1. You were wearing them too tight before.
    2. You are wearing them too loose now.
    3. You are from elsewhere (boobs tend to go quick for a lot of women, gut is also a possibility if you are wearing low cut jeans).
    4. You are losing a high percentage of muscle as compared to fat which leads to losing less inches per pound.
    5. Some combination of the above.
  • Toddahlie
    Toddahlie Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Maybe your jeans not fit well in the past.

I don't know if that is you case, but some people buy clothes that it doesn't fit well (sometimes in small size).
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    According to my scale this morning I've lost around 26lbs and I am still wearing my same jeans I was at my highest.
    I would have expected to have dropped at least one size with 26lbs. They are probably a little looser but not enough to move down a size.

What the hell?

Also,
    How much weight did you lose before you dropped a pants size?

I have lost 21 pounds recently and i'm still wearing the same size. they just arent TIGHT ANYMORE!! They are fitting correctly or lose. It's normal.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Funny, I'm stuck at 8 lbs lost but have gone down 2 pant sizes. All just depends on the body i guess. Frustrating either way!

It also depends on the way the jeans are made and sized. Sizing varies a lot. I was still wearing the ones I wore at my heaviest but I was also fitting into old jeans 3-4 sizes smaller. Does that make any sense at all? No, but it is what it is. lol...
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hang in there.
    I was where you are, and then suddenly, one day, I got back into my size 6 jeans again.

Have a pair of jeans a size smaller and make it your goal to fit in them.
    Try them on every 3 weeks, but never more often than that.
    You'll get there.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options

It also depends on the way the jeans are made. I was still wearing the ones I wore at my heaviest but I was also fitting into old jeans 3-4 sizes smaller. Does that make any sense at all? No, but it is what it is. lol...

it also depends on height, size, shape, etc. I'm right at 6feet with shoes on.... i have weight in my toes dammit! so it takes about 30 pounds before i need to jump down a size.
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    I'd definitely pay attention to how the jeans fit. While I can still wear my 'starter' jeans after losing 18lbs, I can also comfortably wear my 'Goal 1' jeans that I couldn't even attempt to button when I first started. This is also why I pay more attention to measurements than weight. Even though I gained 2lbs (I originally lost 20), my measurements are still smaller than before I gained. Weight can be a decent tracker of progress initially, but after a while they just get frustrating and don't give you an accurate representation of the work you've been doing.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how big you are to start with. I am 6' and have lost 40 pounds since January 1 and still in the same size, much looser, but next size smaller is still to small. = (
  • juanyjoanna
    juanyjoanna Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You could also have lost alot of Water weight and that can result in a change in the scale but not so much in clothes... Rejoice in it anyway a loss is a LOSS!!! Yay :)
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight when I hit 207 lbs.

I was a tight size 12 and working into a 14.

Now I am 159 lbs. Guess what? Still wearing 12s. :noway: 48 lbs and I haven't changed much in the way of jeans size.....

BUT they are lose and I'm slowly working my way into the 10s....

Thing is, I started losing weight but I wasn't exercising so while weight was coming off, nothing was really slimming down that much except on my face and waist.. My hips, butt, and thighs are the LAST areas to lose weight so it takes a while for me. Now that I'm exercising and lifting, I think the inches will finally come down so I can be OFFICIALLY in a 10, and throw out my 12s!

Also I should mention that I can wear smaller shirt sizes too. haha Went from large to medium!! Yay!
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of size 12's that must have a lot of spandex in them. They shrink back after every wash and then I don't stretch them out again. I finally did have to quit wearing them. They were starting to just fall off of me. I almost had an embarrassing moment in Kohl's one day when my grand daughter grabbed me by the pants. It was all I could do to keep them up. I am 140lbs and just got into 10's comfortably. Although if they have a lot of stretch like Gloria Vanderbelt pants, then I wear an 8. My boobs are too big at the moment for the fitted medium shirts.
  • This is why you don't focus n the scale. I've gained 25lbs since starting anorexia recovery and am still wearing the same jeans I wore at my lowest weight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    That was me 5lbs ago. I've been wearing size 18. They still fit but were getting a bit loose (they were very tight when I started). Then two weeks ago I went and tried new shorts... size 16. And they fit perfectly. So i tried another size down... 14... and they are a bit tight, and give me muffin tops, but they fit.

I still fit in most 18s fine. Ok they're loose and I can take down most jeans without undoing the buttons now, but they still fit. It doesn't mean I'm still a 18. Heck those 14s shorts fit better now than 2 weeks ago too.

Bottom line is there really isn't such a huge difference between sizes, and if you go and try new jeans you might be surprised. But it's a good thing. I bought some size 16 shorts but only because they have a belt (and I need shorts in 2 weeks), otherwise I would have skipped 16 altogether. I'm guessing that if you wait until your jeans really fall off, you'll probably be able to buy 2 or 3 sizes under!
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm down about 25 pounds since December (6 since joining MFP) and the pants are getting pretty droopy and I'm having to really cinch up my belt. Will need to be visiting the clothing store for some smaller sized pants fairly soon at this rate.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Sorry Op. I know this is a little derailed.
    3. You are from elsewhere (boobs tend to go quick for a lot of women, gut is also a possibility if you are wearing low cut jeans).

I wanna lose weight from my boobs. :sad: I've only gone down one cup size since I started losing weight. :sad:

But back to the original post. You just probably aren't losing weight in that area. I haven't had much change in my thighs, hips, or butt in awhile, so I'm still wearing the same pants (size 16) that I bought back in August. They were big then, then got tight (i gained some weight back) and now they are getting lose again. Give it time, people lose weight at different rates and in different places.