How can i cut down on fruit?

Options
I eat HUGE amounts of fruit....(better than chocolate i guess!) today fruit wise i have eaten 1 orange, 1 kiwi, 6 apples, tin of pineapple rings (about 6-8 rings in a can) with natural juice. I love both fruit and dried fruit, i eat it when i'm hungry.

How can i cut down? I am aware it is full of sugar :-( .... i'm just starting insanity so i need to watch my sugar intake but dont want to get to the point where i am STARVING because then i fall into the trap of over eating.

Replies

• Laurelthequeen
    Options
    Are you not eating anything else?

I'd say that the pineapple rings are probably the worst, as they're generally packed in a corn-syrup mixture.

Eat some fat and some protein. Those keep me feeling fuller than fruit does.

And 6 APPLES?!?! That is A LOT of apples to have eaten in one day.
  • sourpower434
    sourpower434 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes. And peanut butter.
  • organic0gf
    organic0gf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Try eating some complex carbs or get yourself a good protein powder. Protein and complex carbs last longer in your body. Sugar is like a flash in the pan. An instant rush, then crash. Round out your diet.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    That is more calories that I would eat in a day. 6 apples alone is 700-800 calories.

You need to balance your diet. There is nothing wrong with fruit. But you need some veggies, and a source of protein. If you think about your meals, you need to keep it to about 6 cups of fruit/veggies a day. That's 2 at each meal. Then find a source of proteins like chicken, beef, pork, turkey, beans, low fat dairy or some combination.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    carrots and sugar snap peas if you have to have something sweet. if your doing insanity i would try to switch over to something protein based, like hard boiled eggs.
  • Ragingwitch
    Options
    Try some veg as a substitute for some of the fruit if you need the fresh crunchiness. If I ate that much fruit, my stomach would be churning, as it can be hard to digest!
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    #skinnypeopleproblems

Just kidding (: Find a variety of snack options that you enjoy aside from fruit. Plan your meals the day before so you know what you're "allowed" to eat and stick to that until you develop new habits and cravings.
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Switch some fruit servings for protein and/or fats: Greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs, almonds/nuts, protein bar, & cottage cheese : )
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    if you would eat more protein rather than all fruit, you probably wouldn't be as hungry.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You don't want to overdo any kind of sugar, but the sugar in fruit is not the same as added sugar. But i agree with Laurel, that is an extreme amount of fruit. I had a cup of cantaloupe with my oatmeal for breakfast and a bit of mango with 2% greek yogurt for my afternoon snack. The fiber in fruit is good, but it still doesn't keep you full long. And dried fruit is even more sugar and non of the water that is in fruit that helps you fill up.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You can still eat berries. They're relatively low in carbs (sugar) compared to a lot of tree fruits.
  • estey89
    estey89 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    try eating nuts with your fruit, or an egg with your fruit, so your a little more full and sub half your fruit for things like sugar snap peas, sweet potato or an avacado,
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Honestly you just have to choose something else. I love fruit too (although 6 apples would give me a stomach ache!), but I've started monitering my total sugars and try not to let them go above 40grams... I've been reaching for fats adn proteins and it has helped a great deal ... try almonds or meat & veggies, avacodos, hard boiled eggs are great and quick....

Its like binging on any other food, you just have to stop. As others have said, fat & protein will help keep you fuller longer and you wont need to eat as often, but truthfully, sometimes you just have to say enough and stop yourself. I don't have a problem with frequent hunger anymore, I have been doing strict paleo now for 6 weeks and I generally eat 3-4 meals and I'm done... I used to eat constantly through out the day and even before I started being strict about Paleo, I would make myself wait at least 4 hours before I ate again... it is not a bad thing to be a little hungry - you kind of get used to the feeling.

...another thought that just occured to me, could you be hypoglycemic or something and need suger frequently? It might be why you crave it... I'd get that checked, but then again protein and fats will help you there too.
  • Laurelthequeen
    Options
    I'll do 1 large granny smith apple cut into 12 slices, and then thinly slice 2oz of medium cheddar cheese, and that's one of my favorite snacks. I usually have that and an egg muffin for breakfast each day at 6:30 and stay full til lunch at noon.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I took a little look at your diary, I hope you don`t mind.

I would stay away from the pineapple rings and the yogurt coated raisins?

Also, the Bisto gravy I think you may have over estimated with the 100grams of dried (not made up) maybe change that in your diary to 50mls made up...I doubt you are having 100g of dried bisto?

Maybe try some cottage cheese with pineapple?

Is it the sugar from fruit that you like?
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to watch your sugars with insanity?

I would never cut down on fruit unless a medical reason made me need to limit my sugars. I regularly consume more fruit in a day than my husband does in a week. My breakfast today was a mango, 1.5 cups of sliced strawberries and three kiwis.

If it's something you really need to do than try to replace some fruit with a protein source.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the need for the question. It seems very obvious that you cut down on fruit by eating less fruit and eating other things instead. Vegetables are good.
  • jackdaniels1234123
    jackdaniels1234123 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i hate the really hungry feeling and i am use to grabbing chocolate/sweets in the evening when hungry so i've started grabbing the fruit instead..... i'm now constantly needing to pee!!

I've just started insanity so want to calm it down....am i allowed say 2 apples per day or not even that?

I will get some cottage cheese, i have 2 eggs for breakfast so should i really have hard boiled eggs to snack on as well?

I have tried buying nuts, ie, walnuts or brazil nuts but i tend to just get carried away and eat the whole bag in one go!!
  • darkheart
    darkheart Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Eat fruit at breakfast or before or after a workout. The sugars in the fruit will be going toward fueling your workout or refueling your muscles.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    If you join weight watchers then fruit is a 0 point food so you can eat as much as you want and still lose weight.
    you're welcome.