Losing Control over my diet

Options
I was slowly putting on weight, but then I have gone through this rough patch, and I think I gained about 10 lbs of extra fat in a month.

Over the last month I moved 5 states away, lost my family dog, had to quit a job that I love so I'm now unemployed, and I have been fighting with my fiance (mostly from stress of the move).

I have the tendency to want to hurt myself in some way when I am stressed or really depressed, and I've been depressed or low since my friend killed himself over a year ago. So I have been stress eating, feeling guilty about it, then eating more to try to relax.

I've never had an eating disorder, but I'm getting worried that I could be starting one. I don't feel like I have any control over it. I'm really not sure what to do. I want to lose the weight I've gained, and take control over what I'm eating, but I'm also afraid of becoming anorexic if I control it too much.

Any thoughts would be very helpful, thanks.

Replies

• CoachColin
    Options
    That's one reason Myfitnesspal is really handy. I would suggest preplanning a diet and all your daily meals which will ensure that you lost weight but also that you get the nutrition you need. Feel free to add me and ask for help any time!
  • 170isthin
    170isthin Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Don't have advice but I'm hoping you are feeling better soon.
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how to reply...honestly that's alot of bad situations to deal with and Im sorry you are going through all that.
    I know what it's like to eat food for comfort and relief and it's a hard cycle to get out of. I would say lower the amounts of trigger foods you eat. If eating chocolate causes you to want to eat every thing in sight,then stay away from it.
    I know when I eat healthy I end up getting full on lower calorie foods.
    Good luck! You got this.
  • AlisonTheNerd
    AlisonTheNerd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you, when I read your replies, it made me smile.

And so far today I've been really good. I've gone a little over on sugar, but this is my first day tracking it.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I felt the same when I started here, a lot of big life changes, the loss of my mother, so much going on in my head and I was feeling very depressed, frustrating and eating and drinking my way to my highest weight ever! All I can say is try to take really good care of yourself, by making your body healthy, hopefully your mental state will get healthier with some time. Exercise is a great cure for depression and stress but it can be so hard to get going. Try to find something you like that takes your mind away from all the bad things, try not to set your weight loss goals too aggressively, get plenty of rest and take care of yourself!

MFP can be a great help and can even be fun so it's a great start! Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!
  • AlisonTheNerd
    AlisonTheNerd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks, it's been so overwhelming, but I know I will be so much better off if I can make working out a daily habit. And I'm so sorry about your mother.

My goal is to lose 25 lbs, I'm at my healthiest at about 175 lbs, so that's my goal.

I'm really optimistic today though, I applied for a job and my chances of getting it are higher than I expected.
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    i can relate with the whole suicidal and losing somebody !
    my mom pasted away in July of 2012 at the age of 45 to several health related issues and 2 months after she died i gain 20lbs of pure fat, i was eating every 30 minutes and hit my heaviest weight 307.2lbs ! i tried a lot and begged god to take me away from my sorrow, instead he gave me a vision - a vision that i was happy , fit and healthy and had a long beautiful life! and i ran with it and 6 months later, i am down 69 lbs! i still got about 88lbs to go but HONEY I am doing it and you can too!
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I am glad you are doing a little better. I eat when stressed so I know what you are going through. I have been maintaining for 8 months and if I "binge", I can gain 3-4 lbs over night and it takes 3-4 days to get back to my pre-binge weight. I do weigh myself every day to keep from shoving things in my mouth as I know I have to face the scale in the morning. I get up, weigh, log food and exercise and go to these blogs to get motivation or motivate someone else. I wish I could listen better to the words I type when I am sad and want to eat.

Saw this story from someone...

When you've eaten too much and you can't write it down, And you feel like the biggest failure in town. When you want to give up just because you gave in, and forget all about being healthy and thin. So What! You went over your points a bit, It's your next move that counts...So don't you quit! It's a moment of truth, it's an attitude change. It's learning the skills to get back in your range. It's telling yourself, "You've done great up till now. You can take on this challenge and beat it somehow." It's part of your journey toward reaching your goal. You're still gonna make it, just stay in control. To stumble and fall is not a disgrace, If you summon the will to get back in the race. But, often the struggler's, when loosing their grip, Just throw in the towel and continue to slip. And learn too late when the damage is done, that the race wasn't over...they still could have won. Lifestyle change can be awkward and slow, but facing each challenge will help you grow. Success is failure turned inside out, the silver tint in a cloud of doubt. When you're pushing to the brink, just refuse to submit, If you bite it, you write it....But don't you quit!
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    When you've eaten too much and you can't write it down,
    And you feel like the biggest failure in town.
    When you want to give up just because you gave in,
    and forget all about being healthy and thin.
    So What! You went over your points a bit,
    It's your next move that counts...
    So don't you quit! It's a moment of truth, it's an attitude change.
    It's learning the skills to get back in your range.
    It's telling yourself, "You've done great up till now.
    You can take on this challenge and beat it somehow."
    It's part of your journey toward reaching your goal.
    You're still gonna make it, just stay in control.
    To stumble and fall is not a disgrace,
    If you summon the will to get back in the race.

But, often the struggler's, when loosing their grip,
    Just throw in the towel and continue to slip.
    And learn too late when the damage is done,
    that the race wasn't over...they still could have won.
    Lifestyle change can be awkward and slow,
    but facing each challenge will help you grow.
    Success is failure turned inside out,
    the silver tint in a cloud of doubt.
    When you're pushing to the brink, just refuse to submit,
    If you bite it, you write it....But don't you quit!
    Love this, bookmarking it for when I'm feeling like giving up!

To the op - you've been through so much, you'd really benefit from some counselling. I think eating too much is just a side-effect of what's going on in your life. Wish you all the best and hope you get back in control