What equation are you using and is it working?

Options
I am using this...

For WOMEN: 655 + (4.35 x Weight in pounds)+(4.7 x Height in inches) - (4.7x Age)= BMR The amount of calories your body burns just from being alive

FOR MEN: 66+(6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - ( 6.8 age in years)= BMR. that amount of calories you burn just from being alive.

Step 2: Take that number and multiply by your activity level:

1.2 Sedentary (little to no exercise)
1.375 Lightly Active (1-3 days a week)
1.55 Moderately Active (3-5 days a week)
1.7 Very Active (6-7 days a week)

Step 3:

LOSE weight: Subtract 500
MAINTAIN weight: keep the number the same
GAIN weight: Add 500

The final number is the amount of calories you should eat a day 8)

So mine is 1533.89 bc I am not exercising yet but that is less than my BMR (which is 1694)...so is this bad? I'm thinking I need to get into the lightly active at least so that I can eat 1830 and that way I'm eating at least up to my BMR...anyways..what are you using?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I use haybales spreadsheet. It uses the Katch-McArdle formula which takes into account BF%.

So according to that formula my BMR is roughly around 1668.

You plug in your activity (has different categories for activity types and you put hours/mins a week doing certain things). I left this blank since I'm mostly sedentary, and if you don't enter anything here, it gives you the numbers for sedentary. My reason for this is according to my pedometer I average 3000 steps a day, making me pretty sedentary.

2uxxrf9.jpg

So with that I eat at my BMR plus some of my exercise calories back.

edit: shrinking it made it hard to see, but it pretty much says
    BMR: 1668
    TDEE: 2085
    TDEG: 1668
    Deficit: 417

Oh and yes this method is working for me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It's not that critical which one you use. Heybales' is very good and detailed but they are all estimates in the end. Pick one. Start on it. After 4 weeks measure results. If you are losing as predicted. Great. Losing faster than predicted, up calories by 100 at a time until you are where you should be. Losing slower that predicted, reduce calories by 100 until you are where you should be.
  • rsward
    rsward Posts: 45
    Options
    bump
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    what is this?? ( 6.8 age in years) is that 6.8 + my age? or what is this?

FOR MEN: 66+(6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - ( 6.8 age in years)= BMR. that amount of calories you burn just from being alive.
  • brent_woods
    Options
    times
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Im just using the 'plug your details into MFP and eat how many calories it tells you' method - is working well so far.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I use Shatner's Bassoon
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Im just using the 'plug your details into MFP and eat how many calories it tells you' method - is working well so far.

love this!!! lol

I use Heybales spreadsheet as well.
  • chelseybennett1
    chelseybennett1 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    That number for BMR game me a number equal to my TDEE. I know this because I wear a bodymedia fit...?
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    what is this?? ( 6.8 age in years) is that 6.8 + my age? or what is this?

I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be (6.8xage in years)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
  • lindajay3
    lindajay3 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MsBobLoblaw
    MsBobLoblaw Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I let Fitness Frog do the calculating for me: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

Yep doing that. Plus started exercising working pretty good so far.
  • 5RES
    5RES Posts: 4
    Options
    Me too! Right on track with just this program! :)
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Yep doing that. Plus started exercising working pretty good so far.

^ Same.

I know if you lose too fast you can gain the weight back. But if I am eating a balanced diet, am not hungry to eat more, but I am eating under my TDEE (2326) and under the calculation given by OP (1800) what harm is it really doing? If I'm hungry, I eat. Just not eating junk anymore.

Jen
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I use this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

It has been working well for me in that I have much more energy now than I already had, my metabolism has increased because I've been fueling myself correctly for strength training, and weight maintenance has become more manageable. Life in general has also become simpler after I stopped logging exercise calories.