sugar question

Options
nikky731
nikky731 Posts: 65 Member
I'm trying to manage my macros.....which is proving to be way more difficult than managing my calories. :o)
My main problem is sugars. I've cut WAY down on my sugars since starting MFP....but I LOVE fruit.
Do I have to cut down on my fruit as well? Or is fruit sugar okay...I always considered fruit sugar better than "sugar"sugar?

Replies

• melizzzzard
    melizzzzard Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I'm over on my sugars every day just by eating my morning breakfast of greek yogurt, fruit and agave nectar. I always wonder the same thing :/
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I think natural sugars are fine. Unless you have some medical condition, I would not worry about it (or even track) at all.
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    There's no RDA from the FDA for sugar, since our bodies don't technically "need" it. But there is definitely a difference between refined sugars and those you get from whole fruits! Still sugar (glucose), but it also comes with a package of fiber, water, and nutrients, which means your body processes it differently.

Best bang for your buck fruit-wise with low sugar but high nutrient levels are berries. (And they typically have a low glycemic index!)
  • nikky731
    nikky731 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    I was just getting frustrated because my sugar macro number was always over because I was eating three servings of fruit a day! ggrr
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Just watch your overall carb and calorie intake.

Unless you have a medical reason to keep your sugar low it's unnecessary.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Just watch your overall carb and calorie intake.

Unless you have a medical reason to keep your sugar low it's unnecessary.
    This and forever this. Try to hit your nutrient goals of course, don't fill up on only sugar packets. But riding your body of sugar doesn't really have any benefits unless you have some kind of disease that gets worse with it. And even diabetics are aloud to eat fresh fruit.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I don't even track sugar anymore. I go over by breakfast due to fruit. If you don't have a medical reason to do so I wouldn't even track sugar if the majority of what you are eating is coming from fruit and isn't added/refined sugars.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    I was just getting frustrated because my sugar macro number was always over because I was eating three servings of fruit a day! ggrr

Sugar is not a macronutrient. Macros are protein, carbs and fats. It is fairly useless to measure sugar unless you are diabetic. It is just a subset of carbs. Hit your carb targets and use common sense in not having the majority of them being simple carbs and sugars and you'll be fine.