Night Snack

2»

Replies

• MeekMeals
    MeekMeals Posts: 517 Member
    I usually have a stick of cheese (string cheese or colby jack) or I have jello pudding cups or mouse pudding cups. Very tasty, and a bit of extra protein and dairy before bed.

I luv cheese!! and mousse pudding cups! thanks!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Artificial sweeteners and splenda spike your insulin levels by tricking your body into thinking you are about to consume something sweet. They then make you crave carbs. So...its best to use them in small amounts.

Try Stevia instead. It's at least a natural sweetener.

She's right, to an extent. There's a body of investigation thinking that some of the artificial sweetener issue is that we're fooling our body so we want more food and making us crave more sweets. But there is another problem mixed in her comment, too. Some sweeteners do mess with blood sugar levels, like aspartame. Splenda, Acesulfame K (potassium), stevia, and saccarin do not affect blood sugar.

Ok thanks. So i can stick with my splenda? gotta control how much i use tho. for a large cup i can use 6-8 packs. i like it sweet

Honestly, I'd work on cutting back! That's a hell of a lot! If you think about it, Splenda is like 6x sweeter than sugar...so you'd be using like a TON of sugar if you had the real thing. Work on reducing the amount you use.

I still use splenda, but I limit myself to a packet per day. Maybe two for days I'm really tired and need an extra cup of coffee. Over the next couple weeks, slowly titrate down the amount of splenda you are adding to your beverages until you really don't need much.

Also, your sugar addiction may be part of your late night craving problem. Just some "food" for thought. But please! cut back on your fake sugar usage. :)
  • MeekMeals
    MeekMeals Posts: 517 Member
    Artificial sweeteners and splenda spike your insulin levels by tricking your body into thinking you are about to consume something sweet. They then make you crave carbs. So...its best to use them in small amounts.

Try Stevia instead. It's at least a natural sweetener.

She's right, to an extent. There's a body of investigation thinking that some of the artificial sweetener issue is that we're fooling our body so we want more food and making us crave more sweets. But there is another problem mixed in her comment, too. Some sweeteners do mess with blood sugar levels, like aspartame. Splenda, Acesulfame K (potassium), stevia, and saccarin do not affect blood sugar.

Ok thanks. So i can stick with my splenda? gotta control how much i use tho. for a large cup i can use 6-8 packs. i like it sweet

Honestly, I'd work on cutting back! That's a hell of a lot! If you think about it, Splenda is like 6x sweeter than sugar...so you'd be using like a TON of sugar if you had the real thing. Work on reducing the amount you use.

I still use splenda, but I limit myself to a packet per day. Maybe two for days I'm really tired and need an extra cup of coffee. Over the next couple weeks, slowly titrate down the amount of splenda you are adding to your beverages until you really don't need much.

Also, your sugar addiction may be part of your late night craving problem. Just some "food" for thought. But please! cut back on your fake sugar usage. :)

Ok thanks! yeah imma try to ween myself off the sweet dependency
This discussion has been closed.