Hello!

Hi all. I have been having high blood pressure for the past 3 years (i am 27) and have been on medication for it. Its been at a safe level with medication, also high cholesterol just as this last visit. Recently with some blood work and ultrasound i found out i have NASH. Growing up i was not taught to eat a healthy diet, when my mom and dad divorced when i was 5-6 my dad pretty much got fast food every day for dinner for us, and unfortunitly my eating habits haven't improved that much.

Once i found out i have NASH i decided its really time to start taking this seriously. ( For some stupid reason i didnt feel the need to take the hypertension seriously) But i have a almost 4 year old daughter and at this rate its not looking to good for the future unless i can change. I want to be here for her as long as i possibly can!

I am obese 5'11 and 266lbs, but i dont really look obese, i wear my weight (kind of) well lol. I was up to almost 300lbs when i was layed off for a year, and once i started working again i dropped down to where i am now, but am just staying here, whereas before i got layed off i was at around 230-240.

I know hypertension, and cholesterol can be changed through diet and exercise, and it can definitively help with NASH. (Less fat going into liver)

I am gonna start out by cutting portions and exercising on the recumbent bike 4 times a week 30 minutes a day (Morning is pretty much the only time i can have to myself, or else my daughter wants to go on the bike too... and that is difficult.

I know this is the introduction section but i also have some questions and would appreciate any responses.

First is meat substitutes. My sister is a vegetarian and she gets morning star stuff, and i have tried most of them and they are all really good. Would these be a good idea for someone in my situation? Obviously again, in moderation and portion control. It also scares me because it looks just as processed as any meat would be (minus the meat)

Second main thing is, i don't like vegetables. in fact i hate them, unless we are talking potatoes and corn.. and we all know those dont really county ;) I cant even eat a part of an onion without gagging. The only exceptions are (cooked) carrots, and lettuce. Anyone have any suggestions for this situation? I do like all fruits, but ideally a healthy diet should include lots of vegetables.

Replies

• lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Vegetables are very good, maybe you have never had them prepared properly.
    Gagging on an onion? are you trying to eat it raw? You generally do not eat an onion by itself.
    Maybe you should look into cooking classes?
    Vegetables: Broccoli steamed, brussel sprouts steamed, carrots raw or in soups/stews, onions in casseroles, soups, stews; zuchinni pancakes, eggplant breaded & fried or in casseroles, beans in everything, salad greens, spinach raw or steamed, swiss chard, raddish, cucumber, tomatoes
    Get some cookbooks, learn to cook. Fresh vegetables are always better than frozen or canned.
    Good luck!