Womanly issues

Options
Ok men you probably want to move on to another thread or be forever scarred for life.

So I am training for a half marathon that is quickly approaching in two weeks. I do not plan to do the half and stop running. This is a forever thing. I hope! Anyways have always been a heavy bleeder so don't be alarmed and start telling me to go see the Gyn please. Got my period Tuesday it was light throughout the day, come Wednesday morning I was now heavy. This morning it was way worse. I was "free flowing" as I stood in the shower trying to get out and get ready for work. I should also tell ya that Tue night I ran 3 miles, Wed night 7 and tonight another 3. Tue and Wed runs weren't too bad. Tonight's run was horrible. Yeah I know some runs are better than others but tonight I felt weak and defeated.

I am wondering what is the best course of food to help replenish myself during these times. Steak and heavy carbs? I am searching the internet as well but wanted to ask in here since so many of you seem to have some knowledge on nutrition and the like.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    How much do you eat a day?

Are your hormones all at healthy levels?

have you had bloodwork done (are you inclined to be anemic)?
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I aim for about 1500 calories a day and generally eat back my calories.

Just had the yearly everything was fine with bloodwork

I don't tend to be anemic, that has never been detected I should say.
  • 4n6babe
    4n6babe Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I felt like that during my last period.. lots of working out AND losing all that blood is a lot of work for the body. I felt sick at the same time so I didn't even feel like eating what I probably should've eaten - the steaks & carbs & stuff, but I'd say yeah, work them in if you can. Or whatever your body is telling you it wants - its likely that you probably actually NEED it during this time.

Edit ~ I'm not a professional but I'm just going off of what I would do if it were me. If I wasn't feeling so horrible I would've grabbed the nearest meat product lol. Oh, and plenty of sleep is probably a good idea too.
  • krissydawn16
    krissydawn16 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    No advice... just replying so I can follow the thread. I have similar issues at my "time of the month". Thankfully, I'm still breastfeeding and haven't had to deal with it for quite a long time!! But, I know it's fast approaching for me so I'm hoping someone has an answer for you!!
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    If this is normal for you, then i wouldn't worry about it too much. Check with your doctor about taking an iron supplement, perhaps. If this is different from a regular menstrual cycle for you, it could be related to your age--peri-menopause can begin in your mid thirties for some women and then periods start becoming irregular, heavier, lighter, all over the place due to those lovely hormones that start rampaging about.

As far as nutrition goes, make sure you're getting enough iron and protein--leafy green veggies, red meat, maybe take a multi-vitamin during this time. You said everything was fine with your bloodwork, so I don't think you need to be too concerned, Good luck with your marathon training!
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I imagine you're heavier than normal because of all the prolonged bouncing around. I almost prefer it that way, since I'm in the clear that much sooner. Like another poster said, get lots of iron and protein and as much rest as you feel you need.
  • jzammetti
    Options
    I aim for about 1500 calories a day and generally eat back my calories.

Just had the yearly everything was fine with bloodwork

I don't tend to be anemic, that has never been detected I should say.

I'm glad you know the answers to the medical questions - glad they are good answers.

So, that leaves us with the amount of food you are eating...

Do you know your BMR/TDEE?
  • ldibarra
    ldibarra Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When my daughter has really heavy periods, she can feel like she is
    sick ( like if you had the flu). I asked her doctor and
    She said to try Aleve instead of Tylenol or Advil. It helps with the prostaglandins or
    Some other hormones that make you feel yucky during your period.
    So we tried it and it really helped her feel better. Maybe you could try
    It once to see.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Not that i have much experience in this field as a bloke .. but my partner has a contraceptive injection every 3 months and just gets mild stomach ache every month without any other sign of a period.

surely you all have this choice ?
  • rayvynn5374
    Options
    I'm glad you know the answers to the medical questions - glad they are good answers.

[/quote]

BMR 1240
    TDEE 1915

Now is where I lose in the information department. I know (or think I know) that I need to eat at least 1240 calories to maintain the weight I am at if I am happy with that weight. TDEE...yeah clueless.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have similar problems. I don't run on my heaviest day though, I rest and eat.... bananas, wholegrain pasta and rice with lots of veggies and lean meat and fish. Nettle tea is really good for reducing blood flow and getting rid of excess water also. Drink a cup a day and next month should be a bit better
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I would just say move your workouts around that week and take off the day that you know will be the heaviest. I don't think your diet needs to change too much on that day as long as you remain healthy and probably keep up the iron. I think rest would be the most beneficial...
  • sjhatcu
    sjhatcu Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am going through the same thing right now....it is horrible this month. I was wondering if anyone thought there was any correlation between increased exercise and a heavier flow. I have been hitting the exercise hard lately - treadmill, weights, boot camp, etc. and my flow this month is really heavy - to the point where I am "changing" every hour or so. Could this be because of all the exercise? I always thought increased exercise would lighten your period, but hormones are hard to figure out.
  • lessofheather
    lessofheather Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately not all women get that same result from the injection. For some it's the complete opposite, and you don't know how you're going to react until you try it. And then you're stuck with the side effects (good or bad) for 3 months.

Edit: Sorry! That was meant to be a response to MrDexter's question, but I must have screwed up the reply option.
  • jzammetti
    Options

BMR 1240
    TDEE 1915

Now is where I lose in the information department. I know (or think I know) that I need to eat at least 1240 calories to maintain the weight I am at if I am happy with that weight. TDEE...yeah clueless.
    [/quote]

So, I am guessing you eat around your BMR number? If so, you are not eating enough and this can cause the irregular periods.

Your BMR is the MINUMUM number of calories you need to support healthy organ function (as if you were in a coma). TDEE is what you should eat to maintain your current weight (so long as you used the current weight as your "goal weight" entry in the calculation - if you used your real goal weight, then it is the number you would eat to maintain your goal weight).

If you calculated TDEE based on your current weight as the "gaol weoght", you would eat at a 20% deficit from that number to lose weight. So, 1915 - 20% (383) = 1532 per day to lose weight.

If you used your real goal weight in that calculation, then you can eat a couple hunred less than the 1915 (so, 1715) and still lose weight, a little faster than if you just ate at 1915 (you would still lose at the 1915, but slower).

Does that make any sense?
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    My first month I had a very light flow. But the second was so heavy and atrocious I stayed home from work. I felt like I had the flu and woke up in the middle of the night to find myself heavily bleeding. Must have something to do with the workout because its never happened before. I had extra protein and carbs. My next month was fine!
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I want to follow this also. Although I don't have problems with heavy flow, I am curious about the answers. I really don't have a lot to offer by way of advice. I know if I take advil, aleve or midol, mine become pretty much non-existant. My are also weirdly based on my emotions, if I'm really stressed or upset, it'll disappear entirely.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I had a friend that was a 48 hour girl, it was so heavy. Ugh.

I know there is a slow release iron supplement out there somewhere.,...
    Good ol Google
    http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Fe-Release-Tablets-90-Count/dp/B000052YTI

"Consume Iron-Rich Foods

Try lean beef (3 mg per three-ounce serving), oysters (6 mg per six-piece serving), spinach (6 mg per cup), beans (4 to 8 mg per cup) and fortified cereal (Cheerios has 10 mg per cup)."

also

"Boost Absorption

The heme iron in meat is more absorbable than the nonheme iron in produce. Combining the two at one meal helps, as does consuming iron along with foods high in vitamin C, like citrus. Also, separate iron-rich foods from those high in calcium, like milk and cheese; the two minerals compete for absorption."
  • Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Are you on Birth control? I was put on it when I was younger because I had heavy periods and really bad cramping....it seem to work!
  • rayvynn5374
    Options

BMR 1240
    TDEE 1915

So, I am guessing you eat around your BMR number? If so, you are not eating enough and this can cause the irregular periods.

Your BMR is the MINUMUM number of calories you need to support healthy organ function (as if you were in a coma). TDEE is what you should eat to maintain your current weight (so long as you used the current weight as your "goal weight" entry in the calculation - if you used your real goal weight, then it is the number you would eat to maintain your goal weight).

If you calculated TDEE based on your current weight as the "gaol weoght", you would eat at a 20% deficit from that number to lose weight. So, 1915 - 20% (383) = 1532 per day to lose weight.

If you used your real goal weight in that calculation, then you can eat a couple hunred less than the 1915 (so, 1715) and still lose weight, a little faster than if you just ate at 1915 (you would still lose at the 1915, but slower).

Does that make any sense?
    [/quote]
    Yes this makes sense. I used my current weight to calculate TDEE. I am not looking to loose or gain honestly. I just want to be healthy. I think 110 lbs for a 5 ft 1 female is decent.