TDEE vs. MFP Calorie Goals...convince me

Options
I just came across the TDEE method of figuring out your calorie goal (the Scooby calculator, for example). I get the concept yet am still so confused. How do I know which method to follow - the TDEE -20% calculation or the MFP calculation? They are a few hundred calories apart.

I have plateaued at the MFP calorie goal (7 lbs lost in 6 weeks, 15 to go). I am hungry all the time and low on energy. The MFP goal is about 60 cal above what my BMR is according to Scooby. If the TDEE concept is correct, why is MFP and other calorie counting websites suggesting you eat near or below, in some cases, your BMR? That is counter intuitive.

Please help me understand and feel comfortable upping my calories from 1640 (MFP) to 1967 (Scooby TDEE -20%). That is soooo scary to me!!

Also, what does the TDEE calculator consider as exercise 3-5x a week? Does 30 min 4-5x count? Should I really be setting my activity level at Moderate? (I am a mom of little ones, so on my feet a lot.)

Thanks!

Replies

• foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I just came across the TDEE method of figuring out your calorie goal (the Scooby calculator, for example). I get the concept yet am still so confused. How do I know which method to follow - the TDEE -20% calculation or the MFP calculation? They are a few hundred calories apart.

I have plateaued at the MFP calorie goal (7 lbs lost in 6 weeks, 15 to go). I am hungry all the time and low on energy. The MFP goal is about 60 cal above what my BMR is according to Scooby. If the TDEE concept is correct, why is MFP and other calorie counting websites suggesting you eat near or below, in some cases, your BMR? That is counter intuitive.

Please help me understand and feel comfortable upping my calories from 1640 (MFP) to 1967 (Scooby TDEE -20%). That is soooo scary to me!!

Also, what does the TDEE calculator consider as exercise 3-5x a week? Does 30 min 4-5x count? Should I really be setting my activity level at Moderate? (I am a mom of little ones, so on my feet a lot.)

Thanks!

MFP sets it to 1200 because many people say they want to lose 2 pounds per week. And 1200 is the recommended minimum, so MFP won't go below that, you are also supposed to eat back your exercise calories, which many don't do.

You already say you are hungry. Try the TDEE method and see if it helps. You can start with moderate for 3 to 4 weeks and then adjust as needed. I think you will be happier with a few more calories.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "plateau"? You've lost 7 lbs in 6 wks which is around a 500 cal/day deficit and an impressive weight loss.

Are you saying your deficit is much higher than that and you're not losing at a fast enough rate?
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Thanks!

To be honest, if your set up correctly and you eat all of your calories back its just about the same as TDEE-20.
  • rschreiber
    rschreiber Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've lost 1/2 lb in the past 3 weeks. No inches coming off.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Just searched this topic because I am having the same question!

Based on MFP's settings, I should eat 1500 calories a day (plus exercise calories on days I exercise). On the days I work out, I feel great (eating around 1900-2000 calories). On the days I don't work out, and try to eat only 1500, I am DYING. Like, SO hungry and grumpy. 80% of my TDEE would be around 2000 calories, so I'm considering aiming for that EVERY day, not just on days I work out. I am nervous that I will be overeating, though, and don't want to stall my efforts to lose weight. I agree with the OP - someone convince me!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Assuming you make reasonable/appropriate selections for activity level and such, both methods should give about the same calories per day.

MFP would be something like 1500 cals + exercise... you eat 1500 cals, burn 250 during exercise and eat those back for a daily total of 1750.

TDEE includes exercise, so it would give you 1750 cals per day, you eat those 1750 and you're done.

Both methods get to the same endpoint, they just do it differently. So it really comes down to how you want to log and whether or not you want to eat different amounts on rest days than you do on exercise days.

The confusion comes when people screw up their settings. They'll tell MFP that they want to lose 2lbs per week, but TDEE-20% is only calculating 1lb per week (for example). In this scenario, the daily calories will be fairly different, and people will wonder why, wonder which method is better, and end up generally confused.

So in conclusion... both methods do the same thing assuming you set them up (calculate) correctly. Picking one over the other is a matter of preference based on how you want to eat and what you want to log.
  • jourdanerin
    Options
    I'm in the same boat!

I started 10 weeks ago at 144lbs. Using MFP, it suggested I net 1500 cal to lose 1 lbs a week. I got down to 133 then gained 3 lbs back.

I've been stuck at 136 for 3 weeks now. My exercise has increased a lot since I started MFP and I've been reading a lot about TDEE- 20% being a better way to lose weight.

My TDEE - 20% is around 1800cal.

I'm also hungry a lot of the time when I have already hit my 1500 cal goal on MFP. I've been thinking about trying TDEE because (1) it would be much easier to do (2) keeping consistent with MFP has lead me to a plateau as well.

I figure I'll give it a shot and as long as I don't gain weight, it hasn't hurt to try.
  • lcvaughn520
    Options
    Assuming you make reasonable/appropriate selections for activity level and such, both methods should give about the same calories per day.

MFP would be something like 1500 cals + exercise... you eat 1500 cals, burn 250 during exercise and eat those back for a daily total of 1750.

TDEE includes exercise, so it would give you 1750 cals per day, you eat those 1750 and you're done.

Both methods get to the same endpoint, they just do it differently. So it really comes down to how you want to log and whether or not you want to eat different amounts on rest days than you do on exercise days.

The confusion comes when people screw up their settings. They'll tell MFP that they want to lose 2lbs per week, but TDEE-20% is only calculating 1lb per week (for example). In this scenario, the daily calories will be fairly different, and people will wonder why, wonder which method is better, and end up generally confused.

So in conclusion... both methods do the same thing assuming you set them up (calculate) correctly. Picking one over the other is a matter of preference based on how you want to eat and what you want to log.

Haha thank you! On the days I work out, MFP and TDEE goals would be about the same. But my settings are that I am sedentery (desk job :( ) and so I log every walk, every session in the gym and eat back those calories. But on my rest days, MFP says to only eat 1500. Going by TDEE, I would still eat 2000 on those days, too. I think I'm just going to try it. I mean, I literally burst into tears last night when my boyfriend came home with a bottle of wine because it was a rest day and I couldn't fit anything else into my daily goal and I was so "hangry" that I was emotional...to say the least.
  • GAB219
    GAB219 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

^This^ I was confused in the beginning too but after reading and doing calculations, I found MPF and TDEE the same. I prefer doing MPF because it keeps me at the minimum calorie allowance and if I don't feel like exercising, I don't eat over.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    bump
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE - 20% method. However when I calulated my TDEE I selected lightly active. My theory is my TDEE accounts for the little I do at work because I work a desk job and the little around the house as I have no children. Then I eat back most of my exercise calories. I tend to keep a few hundred of my exercise calories weekly, incase I want to eat more on a non-work out day. This method works the best for me.

I do agree with what has already been posted, TDEE and MFP should be the same if set up/calculated properly. There is more then one way to get to the same goal and it's a matter of personal preference.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I really don't consider 3 weeks a plateau. I was stuck at the same weight for 3 months.
    I changed to the TDEE method and after less than two weeks I've lost almost 3 lbs already.

For me personally, I would prefer to set the lower goal number (not including any exercise), and then eat back whatever calories I may burn on exercise days.
  • CJNeal1
    CJNeal1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you are using MFP calories - are you eating back your exercise calories? This should bring you to the TDEE number, or really really close since TDEE already adds exercise calorie burn into its number.
  • Lbf321
    Lbf321 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    TDEE is so much more satisfying and I've lost 16 pounds since about February of this year. TDEE is so much easier for me mentally since it is a set number and MFP varies to much and stresses me out. I eat 2100 calories with TDEE-20% and with MFP my base calories are 1500, with exercise calories are bumped up to 1800-2000. So not really much difference, but again the variance of MFP just makes me obcess on food.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Thanks!

3-5 x a week suggests 3-5 hours of workout. Most of those calculators assume 1 workout = 1 hour. So if you are doing 30 x5, that is 2.5 hours per week, so 1-3 category (lightly active).

I workout 3 times, but 90 minutes each time, so I am 4.5 hours and moderately active.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    I agree with the methods being about the same if you eat your calories back on MFP then don't for TDEE.

I choose TDEE because I don't work out til the end of the day.... so if I am trying to plan out my meal for the day but I'm not sure how much I'll need to eat back (without estimation) then I get stuck with maybe 600+ calories to eat after 7pm. I prefer to eat bigger meals throughout the day to prep for my work out, then finish off the day with a lighter meal.
  • lcvaughn520
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I feel like there are so many different/conflicting theories out there it's hard to figure this all out. I am going to try TDEE for a couple of weeks and see how it works :)
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I feel like there are so many different/conflicting theories out there it's hard to figure this all out. I am going to try TDEE for a couple of weeks and see how it works :)

Give it at least a month before you evaluate it. Any time you make a change you need to give your body a couple of weeks to adjust, then a couple more weeks to actually see any changes. Some times things will happen faster, however not giving it a solid month may not allow enough time to really evaluate the effectiveness of the change(s).
  • larovers
    larovers Posts: 100
    Options
    okay I feel like an idiot... WHAT is TDEE? Is there a link to read about this somewhere? I am interested because I just hired a personal trainer (I am really overweight, like 80 lbs), and she wants me to eat like 2300 calories a day with her workout schedule (metabolic training 3x per week and other days just long walks). I love to exercise so no problem there but I have always thought people should stick to 1500 calories max per day when trying to lose weight (and not eat back calories). Why is this TDEE more effective?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    okay I feel like an idiot... WHAT is TDEE? Is there a link to read about this somewhere? I am interested because I just hired a personal trainer (I am really overweight, like 80 lbs), and she wants me to eat like 2300 calories a day with her workout schedule (metabolic training 3x per week and other days just long walks). I love to exercise so no problem there but I have always thought people should stick to 1500 calories max per day when trying to lose weight (and not eat back calories). Why is this TDEE more effective?

TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure - how many cals your body needs to do everything you ask it to do throughout the day, from breathing and pumping blood to running errands and doing housework to exercise and chasing kids around.

And to recap, TDEE is NOT inherently more effective. it's just another approach to skin the same cat.