Planet fitness

Options
hesn92
hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
There is one close to my house and its cheap. Thinking of joining. Thoughts, opinions? Do they suck?

Replies

• ArmandoG28
    ArmandoG28 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    10 $ a month no contract . if youre not trying to look like awwnold then youl like it .
  • hesn92
    Options
    What does that mean "if I'm not trying to look like Arnold" ? You can't lift weights there ?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I vote for PLANET FITNESS SUCKS.

That have crazy azz rules AGAINST lifting heavy weights, and God forbid you make a noise while lifting...

If all you want to do is run on a treadmill for hours on end, the Planet Fitness is great. If you believe that weight lifting, especially barbells and dumbbells rather than machines, is a good thing, then it royally sucks.

And if you want to be tempted with free greasy pizza on the weekends, which they often give away to try to lure customers in, then sure, waste your $10 a month.
  • kimazoo
    kimazoo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love it there! I strength train there and never feel judged. All types of people, ages, size, etc. I've gotten so much stronger in the last month by lifting there. Lots of equipment. I ended up getting the Black Membership and love it as Incan bring a friend for free every time, free tanning, massage chair, red-light therapy, and it includes a personal trainer. It's a great deal!!! So happy I joined as its helping me reach my goals!!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I love it there! I strength train there and never feel judged. All types of people, ages, size, etc. I've gotten so much stronger in the last month by lifting there. Lots of equipment. I ended up getting the Black Membership and love it as Incan bring a friend for free every time, free tanning, massage chair, red-light therapy, and it includes a personal trainer. It's a great deal!!! So happy I joined as its helping me reach my goals!!

red light therapy...??? Is this like how Superman gets his power from a yellow sun, humans get super powers from a red sun? :huh:
  • daylite2nite
    daylite2nite Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love planet fitness! I like the vibe there better than any other gym I've been to.
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Since Dec I have lost 40 lbs there. Really nice clean. Best $10 ive ever spent
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What does that mean "if I'm not trying to look like Arnold" ? You can't lift weights there ?

they have restraining rules and limited free weights. but it's $10 per month. whatevs. It's down the street from your house and it's $2.50 per week. go sign up.
  • hesn92
    Options

they have restraining rules and limited free weights. but it's $10 per month. whatevs. It's down the street from your house and it's $2.50 per week. go sign up.

Well if they don't let you lift free weights then I don't really want to go there. That's the main thing I like to do at the gym
  • CAS317
    CAS317 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I belong to PF. I do not dislike it but I do agree that they have some stupid rules. I have this thing about not taking my sweatshirt off until I'm warmed up. So I was on the treadmill one day and after getting warmed up I took my sweatshirt off and placed it over the timer/stats etc. A staff member came over and told me that I couldn't do that and that stuff like that needed to be left in the locker room...WTH? If I want to cover the stats with my sweatshirt I should be allowed to do that. She said it was a safety issue. So I asked if I could cover it with my towel....she said YES! Oh but a towel falling off and onto the belt isn't a safety issue? SERIOUSLY? WTH
  • dotknott
    dotknott Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I was told "No Deadlifts."

When I switched jobs last year my new Health insurance had a deal with Gold's where I now pay $30/mo. I had been doing the $20 PF membership so I went for it..

I don't know what else they don't allow, but if you can do what you need to, it's not a horrible gym.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I belong to PF. I do not dislike it but I do agree that they have some stupid rules. I have this thing about not taking my sweatshirt off until I'm warmed up. So I was on the treadmill one day and after getting warmed up I took my sweatshirt off and placed it over the timer/stats etc. A staff member came over and told me that I couldn't do that and that stuff like that needed to be left in the locker room...WTH? If I want to cover the stats with my sweatshirt I should be allowed to do that. She said it was a safety issue. So I asked if I could cover it with my towel....she said YES! Oh but a towel falling off and onto the belt isn't a safety issue? SERIOUSLY? WTH

That isn't a PF thing it is obviously an issue with the person who worked there. I see people at my PF covering up the machine all the time and I have never once been told that I had to put my sweatshirt in the locker room when I take it off. Sounds like she was being a b*tch.

PF's are individually owned and their rules and equipment vary from location to location. I've squat, dead lift, lift heavy and have never once been told I couldn't.
  • mk9562
    mk9562 Posts: 186
    Options
    Each planet fitness is different. My local one is very flexible. You can lift free weights and do dead lifts. It's very clean and truly a judgment free place. I would check with people in your area that use your local planet fitness.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of Planet Fitness for many years now. Its a great place to workout. You CAN do free weights. You CAN do heavy lifting. They even have "free" training sessions that will help you put a program together and help you with form. I'd go check it out before you decided its not for you. Its inexpensive, mine if very clean, I don't feel uncomfortable (I'm often the only woman in the free weight area), and the staff where I go is very friendly. They do have a rules but what gym dosen't? I also belong to a Gold's Gym and I hate doing free weights there. The guys in the weight room stop and stare at me when I walk in and have made comments about the "chick doing girlie weights" and getting in their way. I end up working out in the Ladies Gold room because of how uncomfortable the lunks in the weight room make me feel. You can't do heavy weights in the Ladies Gold room...I wonder way?
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Can anyone comment on the "fitness training"? The local PF looks like a warehouse with tons of equipment and I don't know how to use any of it, except the free weights.

Mostly I'm interested in options for strength training and occasional use of the treadmill, particularly when I'm traveling. I'm not a fan of classes.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Can anyone comment on the "fitness training"? The local PF looks like a warehouse with tons of equipment and I don't know how to use any of it, except the free weights.

Mostly I'm interested in options for strength training and occasional use of the treadmill, particularly when I'm traveling. I'm not a fan of classes.

I've used their training services frequently to help with my form and to change things up. They have a series that they want you to go through and its often a small group 2-4 people. But most of the time, I get the trainer one-on-one so we what I want and its FREE! Works for me!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I've visited a Planet Fitness once. It was ok - very large and very clean. They have TONS of cardio equipment (I was on vacation and wanted access to a treadmill so I could continue to train for a 5K, so I was happy with that) and lots of weight machines. They have very little in the way of free weights though.

The thing is, Planet Fitness is trying to target the not-so-fit demographic. They want the people who are ashamed to go to the gym and who will sign up and maybe come for a few weeks and then stop.....but never cancel their membership because it's a good deal. That's how they make their money - by appealing to the people who don't really want to get fit so they won't be there that much.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I was a member for over a year and a half--it's a great "training wheels" gym. If you're only going for cardio equipment, it's gold! But I think in some ways I outgrew it in terms of my strength training routine--I wanted to be able to do squats in a real squat rack (they only have squat racks) and do deadlifts, and you simply can't there. But otherwise they're nice people and it's very clean and affordable!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I joined Planet Fitness in Jan of this year when one finally opened up in my town and I love it. I hit the gym 3-5 times a week. Cardio everytime I go and weights every other time. I had never been to a gym before in my life and felt comfortable there. I met with the trainer right after joining and just recently met with him again to change my workouts and machines I use and will meet with him again in 6-8 weeks and there is no cost to meet with him. I pay $10 and not tied into a monthly contract. The gym is clean and people who work there are very nice and friendly. My only complaint is sometimes people don't clean off the machines when they are done but that could happen at the any gym.
    I heard good and bad about Planet Fitness but my experience has been great with them.
    Good luck!
  • blondie_182_182
    blondie_182_182 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on where you go. My Planet Fitness is very laid back, the staff members are polite, and they have never stopped me from doing any heavy lifting. It's also very clean. The only issue I have with PF is mine doesn't have a squat rack, so I am making do with dumbbells right now. For $20 a month, I can't complain too much. I could go elsewhere and pay more.

The main thing that I like about PF is that it's open 24 hours. I have a crazy work schedule with a 45 minute commute, so the only time I can really work out is early in the morning. I get up and am at the gym by 4:00 am. Usually, I have the weight area to myself at that hour. We have one other 24 hour gym that is close to our house, but it costs $75/month. I might move to that gym eventually, but I can make PF work for now.